RIP Tom Petty

Discussion in 'The Drivers Lounge' started by mud, Oct 2, 2017.

1. mud

mud Wonderin'

2. slavenomore

slavenomore US Gov Hears Foreign Corps More Than Nonunions

Sad to hear. One of my all time favorites. Great writer. Excellent showman and performer. Very cool personality. Seen him a bunch live. Had all his records before CD's came out.......What can ya say? One of the all time greatest rock and roll stars imo. So much for the hopeful plans of seeing him again after the kids are raised when their might've been some spare change.

mud likes this.
  3. mud

mud Wonderin'

Tom Petty passing away is quite a surprise. I'm the same age, I guess you just never know.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    slavenomore likes this.
  4. kboomarang

kboomarang My allah, between pie and mode

As sad and tragic as Vegas is, of all days it's too bad his passing, life, and music may not get the recognition it richly deserves.

slavenomore and mud like this.
  5. SuperCourse

SuperCourse WHO IS JOHN GALT?

They don't make'em like Petty anymore. One of the best.

mud, ABFer, kboomarang and 1 other person like this.
  6. slavenomore

This is being reported on in weird ways with this vegas thing going on...I just got on my PC and this is what is said(I heard differing reports on my drive home like timelines to the story are messed up...First I heard he was taken to the hospital with cardiac arrest...then I heard he was taken off of life support...in between I searched and saw stories..even from Rolling Stone that he died......but this is the latest):
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cele...reports/ar-AAsPaul?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp
    Tom Petty, the American rocker who fronted one of the country’s longest-running, most successful bands, is fighting for his life, according to reports.

Petty was transported to a local hospital around 10:45 p.m. Sunday, according to the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department. The department had no further information. TMZ first reported the news Monday that he was found unconscious in full cardiac arrest at his Malibu home. CBS News later reported his death, which could not be independently confirmed. A representative for Petty did not immediately return The Washington Post’s inquiry.
    A CBS Twitter account attributed the report of Petty’s death to the Los Angeles Police Department; the tweet has since been deleted.

“The LAPD has no information about the passing of singer Tom Petty. Initial information was inadvertantly [sic] provided to some media sources,” the police department posted on Twitter. “However, the LAPD has no investigative role in this matter. We apologize for any inconvenience in this reporting.”

TMZ followed up with a post that Petty was “still clinging to life. A report that the LAPD confirmed the singer’s death is inaccurate.”

ABFer likes this.
  7. slavenomore

8. mud

mud Wonderin'

I've gone through this before. I was there when a loved one was pronounced dead.
    Later that night we had to go back to the hospital and give permission to take our family member off of life support.

9. kboomarang

Being taken off life support just shows how dire the situation is, but I think how long it takes for somebody to pass without support varies from person to person and how much damage was done by injury or lack of oxygen to the brain.

10. slavenomore

11. mud

mud Wonderin'

12. SuperCourse

A lot of the greats have passed in recent years, none have saddened me as much as losing Tom Petty.

mud, slavenomore and kboomarang like this.
  13. SuperCourse

This one put a lump in my throat.

slavenomore, mud, ABFer and 1 other person like this.
  14. ABFer

ABFer Super Moderator Staff Member

RIP Tom Petty and we lose another. And I believe that there are more to come.

15. mud

mud Wonderin'

16. 20_yrs_2_go

20_yrs_2_go Well-Known Member

I was never a big Tom Petty fan but I did listen to his xm satellite radio show he had about a year ago when he said his father was abusive and starting a rock band was his way out.
    Unfortunately his record label tried to take his money ( typical recording artist news ) but it worked out for the better or so he said...
    At the least 66 is too young and it doesn't look like he went out on his own terms
    Very sad :-[

17. mud

mud Wonderin'

[​IMG]
    I've been a big fan of XM radio right from it's start. Netflix has a good documentary about Tom Petty called Runnin' Down A Dream.

kboomarang likes this.
  18. kboomarang

And he was also Luann's beloved Lucky on one of my favorite shows King of the Hill.

19. mud

mud Wonderin'

I never knew about King of the Hill until Tom's passing away. I will have to look into this.
    [​IMG]

20. slavenomore

From Hard Promises