FedEx Freight | Road/City Pay scale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killmypc

TB Lurker
Credits
Not tryin to :stirthepot:, but I am wondering why top road pay is so much more than top city pay?..If I worked it out right, it's about $5/hr...??? Doesn't seem right.

Its always been that way....they are the highest paid drivers in the company. I was told that originally it was bceause they had to work at night, was one of the reasons, but we all know that some dont work at night, we had our little "union" info meeting yesterday, and the HR guy said that driver pay was an issue that is being looked at, to someday in the future look at maybe getting it more leveled off, but we'll see.....I know that if a guy is having to lay down or stay out during the week, I believe he should make more, sure he's not delivering freight in the heat all day, but he also doesnt get to sleep in his bed at home at night. I believe their job is just as important as city drivers.....were all part of the machine. I couldnt do it...I never could drive long distances. Also, our little Union meeting was quite informative, but it is always the same as it ever was....bad, bad, bad for them , but good for us!

Working nights, or layover should get higher pay, I agree. But I don't understand it when they have day runs. Seems like we all play an equal role in keeping this company afloat. We had our union "meeting" last week...(just a film), with no one there to answer any questions... You can tell without any doubt that video was made by FX...lol

Now lets figure this out im a road driver (in northern illinois) that works approximately 11 to 11.5 hours a day on a 524 mile run counting drop and hooks and fuel etc. i make approx. $315 dollars a day, Now a city driver here makes $22.59 a hour on a 11.5 hour day is 8hours x $22.59 plus 3.5hours x $33.88 multiply and add that together and its approx. $300.00, so this huge difference you speak of comes out to approx. 15 dollars a day or just over a dollar a hour, Now if i get caught in a construction back-up or accident back-up where the road is NOT closed just backed-up im still making 53.88 cents a mile, if a city driver does hes still making $22.59 dollars a hour, so when ya figure it out its not very different is it?

$22.59? Not Here!, but road pay is same...53cpm. I believe top pay here is 20.63,..30.94 on OT. Works out 273.33/day. Over 200.00/wk. And on an 8hr day, thats over 5.00/hr. To me, thats a big difference.

After 6 1/2 yrs in the city, I went to the road because of the money. I didn't really factor in totally,,, working nights, having almost no time with my wife, one real day off and thats Sunday... It is Very dissrupting to family life. I get home Sat morning and have to sleep. Then have to sleep Mon for work that night. Sure, I don't miss delivering school books in Aug, but neither job is better than the other. You make sacraficies in both... I work the dock 4-5 hrs a night, 11+ hrs total, in the city I worked 8-9 hrs a day. So I should make more just due to the hrs. If I could go back to the city and retain the seniority I earned, I'd do it in a heart beat.

365V
Working nights, I agree...completely! Pay for night drivers,(any kind) should be more. Day runs, I don't look at the same... A 'meet' is not what I consider work (I'll pay for that one), and will take one any chance I get...'hook-drive-drop/hook-drive-drop',because the money is better, but it shouldn't be... A 'meet' or 'turn' should not pay more than a driver making 20+ stops a day....
Maybe you'll get into a day run soon. That is what stopped me from the road...starting on the bottom....nothing but nights, and short runs....

killmypc said:
365V
Working nights, I agree...completely! Pay for night drivers,(any kind) should be more. Day runs, I don't look at the same... A 'meet' is not what I consider work (I'll pay for that one), and will take one any chance I get...'hook-drive-drop/hook-drive-drop',because the money is better, but it shouldn't be... A 'meet' or 'turn' should not pay more than a driver making 20+ stops a day....
Maybe you'll get into a day run soon. That is what stopped me from the road...starting on the bottom....nothing but nights, and short runs....

But, the lack of home time needs something extra......

I totally agree with you !!! Thats what I was getting at, its no cake walk in the city. We have a few "night" runs that "turn at the window", and they make more than city guys. On another note, anytime you leave your home, you run the risk of an accident. But its alot more driving in city traffic ,,,, although maybe not as 'deadly' than highway speeds. Hey, I remember where I came from.....
PS, no day runs here....

killmypc said:
$22.59? Not Here!, but road pay is same...53cpm. I believe top pay here is 20.63,..30.94 on OT. Works out 273.33/day. Over 200.00/wk. And on an 8hr day, thats over 5.00/hr. To me, thats a big difference.

No matter the hourly rate what i was getting at is if a city driver works the same amount of hours a road driver does its very close to the same pay.

killmypc said:
Let me guess...you a road driver?

Ok pc, lets see if this puts a light on the subject for you. Oh and by the way yes I am a road driver. I am going to use your #s in this example.

In the city if you work 40hrsx20.63=825.20 plus 20hrs ot @ 30.94hr = 618.80 = 1444.00
Now this is calculated on 60hrs.
On the road I run 2560 miles per week and I get approximately 10hrs a week for drops and hooks.
2560 x 53 =1356.80
10 x 20.63 =206.30 for a grand total of 1563.10 for 60+hrs per week.
So you don't think that that whopping 119.10 per week is justifiable to a person who works nights. Who allot of nights is battling the elements, not going to there children's events and sleeping alone during the day. Its all about choices. Have a great night at home with your family. I have to go to work now.

:shutup2:

Road Drivers Have it made

The road does not have to hear every day about just one more,or have boring preshifts every morning,or when it slows down having their hours cut.
how about dealing with the intermec,or worry about AM/PM times.
Getting bombed with P/U on there lunch.
I could go on

killmypc said:
Working nights, or layover should get higher pay, I agree. But I don't understand it when they have day runs.
Guess you didn't read this post...
Pompano said:
Ok pc, lets see if this puts a light on the subject for you. Oh and by the way yes I am a road driver. I am going to use your #s in this example.
We could say 80 hrs...100 hrs... But how about by the day... One of the runs I get here, not very often, but every now and then is a 440 mile meet. It pays, total, about $265.00. If the meet driver is there, it takes about 9 hrs.. Now to make that same $265.00 in the city, I have to work 11 hrs... For the same 9 hrs, I make $196.00. Almost a $70.00 difference.. And do a lot more work....for less $... (I can see the light!). As for spending time with your family, I feel for you, but that is a choice I chose NOT to make.

I don't know about any other city drivers but in my customer center I don't see any of them getting 15 or 20 hours of over time , 10 maybe.

Smokestack said:
I don't know about any other city drivers but in my customer center I don't see any of them getting 15 or 20 hours of over time , 10 maybe.
The most hours I've had in a week was 50.., and that was quite awhile back. Now, the guys on my shift are struggling to get 40!!

Status
Not open for further replies.