Yellow | Rolling stock auction postponed

PACCAR's engine program reminds me of Navistar's Maxxforce engines that almost put them out of business. Navistar paid out a 135 Million settlement which was not enough. Several small fleets that bought the Maxxforce engines were not able to absorb the expense. The tractors with that engine spent more time in the shop than on the road & many logged more miles on the hook than pulling loads. Caterpillar was wise to discontinue highway engine production in 2009. Of course they had lost most of their customer base & customer loyalty by then. Emission laws/standards have had a deep economic impact on the trucking industry.
Celadon (Indy based Truck Load Carrier listed on Wall Street, from about 1990-2018 or so) parked 200-300 ProStars with MaxForces for 3 years- then went out of business for fraud. The fraud was, as I understand it, selling the parked ProStars for whatever they got, and then stating inflated sales prices to the Securities and Exchange Commission And to their Board of Directors. Some of their Officials went to prison.

My experience with that engine brought me to a conclusion about it that it Could work- IF the owner of one scheduled changing the EGR Valve about every 80,000 miles? Expensive! At the time, if I recall correctly, every time the engine did bad things, it was because of the EGR, and bad things normally happened every 90,000-100,000 miles. Also, if I recall correctly, the EGR was about $1600 plus time, labor, and the truck out of service. The time on the ramp, IH concluded the EGR plugged, which made the turbo overheat, which made the bearings let go, which let oil run thru the injectors, which made the whole engine zoom out of control and not turn off.

But that little 13 liter tank engine actually pulled tremendously for its size. I pulled full gross weight back hauls from Salt Lake City over the Rockies, back to Indy. It wasn’t a Speed buggy, but it did as well as when I was in a 2005 Columbia with a 15 liter Cat…….My Boss said that if he wasn’t working for a Corporation he would pull all the emission crap off and he believed it would be a decent engine afterwards. I’ve heard of many being sold to owners in Mexico. That’s probably what those guys did with them????
Navistar's idea was to use double EGR instead of DEF to meet emission standards. Cummins also considered the same approach but decided against it before putting the engine on the market & opted for DEF. The company (Navistar), bought carbon credits in order to produce the engine. Everybody said the engine would pull with about any engine on the road. Your idea of deleting the EGR probably would work but is a big no no in this country & would bring on a stiff fine for non compliance to emission laws. A lot of older tractors are sent to Mexico & to oil producing countries where there is no EPA or CARB.

There were some local 2nd & 3rd generation trucking families who had owned Internationals since the R series, RD 450 gasoline engines days, (Breeze remembers them). They were loyal to the brand but they jumped ship over the MAXXForce engines. One later bought a Navistar with a bulldozer emissions engine which was not much better. He recently bought an older KW with a Cummins.
I am going to guess you were called names that we don't want to repeat on TB when you blocked that ramp.
Doc, I once saw an Allis Chalmers truck engine, this was in the 70s, never saw another one.
This was at Fredricksburg Va.

Celadon (Indy based Truck Load Carrier listed on Wall Street, from about 1990-2018 or so) parked 200-300 ProStars with MaxForces for 3 years- then went out of business for fraud. The fraud was, as I understand it, selling the parked ProStars for whatever they got, and then stating inflated sales prices to the Securities and Exchange Commission And to their Board of Directors. Some of their Officials went to prison.
I had forgotten what happened to Celadon. The company was at one time a large company with a substantial market share.

There were some local 2nd & 3rd generation trucking families who had owned Internationals since the R series, RD 450 gasoline engines days, (Breeze remembers them)
My Dad had an R190 with a Red Diamond. As a kid I sometimes slept across the seat of it so I could ride with his driver who came in at 5am to start his day.

I inherited a 1940 D30 with a Green Diamond. Truck looks showroom condition but the engine needs ignition work and parts to make it run. Plus, Dad took off the brake master cylinder, and years later died. No one can find it, nor a replacement. I bought a universal one that my youngest son said he can make work, but he’s a parent of three kids. No time…..

Doc, I once saw an Allis Chalmers truck engine, this was in the 70s, never saw another one.
I once had a KT450 Cummins in a Mack Cruiseliner. Now THAT was a pulling machine! Right up until one of the pistons came thru the side of the engine! (with my leg in almost the same space, since I was in a Cabover)…. It was warranted, but the block was no longer made. I traded the truck in on a 78 Cabover Pete With a 290.

I had forgotten what happened to Celadon. The company was at one time a large company with a substantial market share.
The President of Celedon was President of the Indiana Motor Truck Association in about 2018. He presented me with the IMTA Driver of the Month Award that year. Months later, he was in Deep Do Do.

My Dad had an R190 with a Red Diamond. As a kid I sometimes slept across the seat of it so I could ride with his driver who came in at 5am to start his day.

I inherited a 1940 D30 with a Green Diamond. Truck looks showroom condition but the engine needs ignition work and parts to make it run. Plus, Dad took off the brake master cylinder, and years later died. No one can find it, nor a replacement. I bought a universal one that my youngest son said he can make work, but he’s a parent of three kids. No time…..
Ryder was still running 450 Reds in KB 11 IHCs from Great Southern when I started in 55.
They had no heaters until they were downgraded to the city.
The shop installed a small Arvin about the size of a shoe box.

That was a purple engine marketed as "Big Al". The ad claimed that it "Sipped Fuel". It did do good on fuel mileage. The standard rating was 380 HP. The engine would out pull a lot of engines. The problem was it broke crankshafts. There is something about driving over your CS that soured truckowners on the engine. Specualtion was that the engine was desinged for lower horsepower ratings & a more constant RPM than highway engines required. Production was stopped & as I remember AC would help pay the cost for a Cummins 350 swap. I think there may have been a kit supplied for the swap. I don't remember the availabilty but it seems that several "Big Al's"went into CO Freightliners.

Ryder was still running 450 Reds in KB 11 IHCs from Great Southern when I started in 55.
They had no heaters until they were downgraded to the city.
The shop installed a small Arvin about the size of a shoe box.
My antique has no heater. The windshield cranks open to pretend to be an a/c. It has 1 windshield wiper on the driver’s side. The passenger doesn’t need to see I guess.

And 2 very very tiny round mirrors. Don’t tell The 46 mph bag guy….

Does the 1940 have a wig wag? (Asking for Ted)

My antique has no heater. The windshield cranks open to pretend to be an a/c. It has 1 windshield wiper on the driver’s side. The passenger doesn’t need to see I guess.

And 2 very very tiny round mirrors. Don’t tell The 46 mph bag guy….
A friend of mine who is fire chief in Harrells N C owns this jewel, this has a 5 spd with 2 spd axle.
Ours had only a 5 spd direct.
I've seen pictures of yours.

I once had a KT450 Cummins in a Mack Cruiseliner. Now THAT was a pulling machine! Right up until one of the pistons came thru the side of the engine! (with my leg in almost the same space, since I was in a Cabover)…. It was warranted, but the block was no longer made. I traded the truck in on a 78 Cabover Pete With a 290.
The KT/KTA engines are/were used in sled pull trucks. They were also used on boats & construction machines. There is a heavy equipment salvage yard near here that still has a few. The sled pull truck 'Shameless" used a much modified KTA 600. I remember a local trucker that had a KTA in an ugly brown CO International. He surprised a lot of 'Large Cars'. He had trouble keeping transmissions together. That was a lot of torque for the drivetrain.

The KT/KTA engines are/were used in sled pull trucks. They were also used on boats & construction machines. There is a heavy equipment salvage yard near here that still has a few. The sled pull truck 'Shameless" used a much modified KTA 600. I remember a local trucker that had a KTA in an ugly brown CO International. He surprised a lot of 'Large Cars'. He had trouble keeping transmissions together. That was a lot of torque for the drivetrain.
When my 430 Detroit came apart in Texas, it got towed in by a model 6000 White. The rear window on the tow truck slid open. The guy had a regular ten speed in the cab, but he reached thru the rear window and shifted another ten speed he had hooked in series to the rear of the other transmission! Said he could tow in INCHES per hour if he had to!

I drove a 2013 MaxForce Prostar for Batesville for 6 years. We had 4 of them as experimental tractors to avoid buying DEF. $138,000 each. All 4 ended up with more $$$$ in repairs than they cost new. The one I drove was rebuilt twice in 6 years. One of those times the turbo bearings let go, oil went thru the injectors, and I had to stall the engine at 3386 rpm’s to shut it off. Bent piston rods, broke the head. A total mess. Four below zero in York, Nebraska. I blocked the I80 entrance ramp for 5 hrs because tow trucks were busy with gelled up trucks. Lucky I had an APU to stay warm!
Well you certainly know how to make an entrance don’t you?

A friend of mine who is fire chief in Harrells N C owns this jewel, this has a 5 spd with 2 spd axle.
Ours had only a 5 spd direct.
I've seen pictures of yours.
I’m worried about you, Breeze. Every time I mention my D and its particulars- you come along and show that you have pictures of your friend’s, and that his is bigger…..:hide: