TForce | Run cut or layoff

5NC.Canes

TB Lurker
Credits
I have a quick Question if there are four road runs and the guy on the third road run has less company seniority than the guy on the fourth road run has....if they eliminate or cut a run who goes back in the city the guy with less company seniority or the guy with less road classification? Thanks

I don't work for UPS but had 38 years with the Teamsters and it was always done by seniority, if they cut your run you should be able to bump a junior man.

I don't work for UPS but had 38 years with the Teamsters and it was always done by seniority, if they cut your run you should be able to bump a junior man.
Seniority as in Company or classification? It's not at my terminal its at another terminal and the guy made three years top pay two weeks ago and now he's on layoff and the guy that came to the road with less classification but more company seniority bump him off his run cause they are claiming company seniority

Seniority as in Company or classification? It's not at my terminal its at another terminal and the guy made three years top pay two weeks ago and now he's on layoff and the guy that came to the road with less classification but more company seniority bump him off his run cause they are claiming company seniority

5NC, every place I ever worked if a change in classification occured, the whole barn had to be rebid and company seniority prevailed. Not sure if UPS has different language on this.

5NC, every place I ever worked if a change in classification occured, the whole barn had to be rebid and company seniority prevailed. Not sure if UPS has different language on this.
Ok cause right now different people are saying one thing and we just wanted to know but the big Barns are saying Classification but the local Hall are saying company but thanks Supercourse

I
If a run is cut or eliminated is that the same thing as a layoff?

No. If it's just a matter of a run being cut they should rebid the road classification with whoever doesn't hold a run going to the extra board, assuming you have one, or layoff if there is no spot for them. Again, I never worked for UPS Freight so your contract language could be different.

No. If it's just a matter of a run being cut they should rebid the road classification with whoever doesn't hold a run going to the extra board, assuming you have one, or layoff if there is no spot for them. Again, I never worked for UPS Freight so your contract language could be different.
Man that's Exactly what I needed to hear I will let the guy know that tonight because our local hall is saying that's the same thing as a lay off and he's back in the city on layoff but we have a meeting in the morning and I'll be sure to give him this information other guys from bigger barns are saying exactly what you are saying but for some reason our local hall is still using company seniority over a cut run but thanks again SuperCourse

At hrs you can't go from the road board to the local board unless you loose your med cert.
Then you go to the bottom of the local board, regardless of how many years you've been working here.
If a 20 year road man can't pass his physical, he goes to the local side and becomes bottom guy.
If a 20 year local guy gets his CDL and goes to road he becomes bottom man on the road side.

At hrs you can't go from the road board to the local board unless you loose your med cert.
Then you go to the bottom of the local board, regardless of how many years you've been working here.
If a 20 year road man can't pass his physical, he goes to the local side and becomes bottom guy.
If a 20 year local guy gets his CDL and goes to road he becomes bottom man on the road side.

Your comments puzzle me, but I admit that is not hard to do. But being a road driver or a local driver does not affect your med. cert., if it does that is a new one on me. A driver's health is the only thing that affects his medical certification, he can go from road to local to yard jockey and even go to another company and his medical certification is still valid. Now I stand be to corrected but as I said, all you have written is completely "greek" to me..

At hrs the road board is road only, you can't get off that board unless you loose your med cert, they can't bid jockey,or dock like some barns allow.

The local cartage board is one line seniority that includes dock, dock jockeys, linehaul jockeys, and city drivers, the local board is free to bid to any of those jobs he can hold and is qualified to do.

Now if someone on the road board loose their med card they can go to the local side but end tail in at the bottom of the seniority list.
If a qualified local employee wants to go to the road side he end tails in on their board but can't come back less he looses his med cert.

Company seniority vs classification seniority...always a quagmire.

Company seniority vs classification seniority...always a quagmire.

I guess they make it harder than it has to be, back in the day we bid classification once a year and that was it, you were stuck there for a year unless something major occurred like a COO. Layoffs happened within the classification, in other words you could have a road guy layed off with 10 years and a yard guy with 1 year still working for an example. This was at a breakbulk, we had 3 classifications, Road, Dock, Switcher. You couldn't jump classification without rebidding the whole barn.

I guess they make it harder than it has to be, back in the day we bid classification once a year and that was it, you were stuck there for a year unless something major occurred like a COO. Layoffs happened within the classification, in other words you could have a road guy layed off with 10 years and a yard guy with 1 year still working for an example. This was at a breakbulk, we had 3 classifications, Road, Dock, Switcher. You couldn't jump classification without rebidding the whole barn.
That was where you worked. I have heard of so many different variations it's hard to keep up. Here's a few.
1) Bid once a year and cross classification if you want to.
2) Stuck where you are forever unless you quit and started over (same company as above, different terminal not too far away).
3) Switch classification and go to the bottom of that classification...forever...switch back and same thing.
4) Switch classification and go to the bottom of that classification until next bid.

It depends on the local. Some locals got single seniority. As in the whole terminal can bid across city and road. Some locals, usually in areas of big break bulks have a separate seniority board for each. If you transfer from city to the road you go to the bottom of the list and only keep company seniority for vacation and other bennies

At hrs the road board is road only, you can't get off that board unless you loose your med cert, they can't bid jockey,or dock like some barns allow.

The local cartage board is one line seniority that includes dock, dock jockeys, linehaul jockeys, and city drivers, the local board is free to bid to any of those jobs he can hold and is qualified to do.

Now if someone on the road board loose their med card they can go to the local side but end tail in at the bottom of the seniority list.
If a qualified local employee wants to go to the road side he end tails in on their board but can't come back less he looses his med cert.
If you losse your dot medical card because you failed the physical,then you can't drive under any classification period! The only bid you could hold if your lucky enough is a dock bid if you have enough seniority to do so.

Are you talking about "seniority" or your medical certification?? A driver cannot lost his medical certification just because he comes off the road and starts working local. Now seniority is a different "apple". A driver losing his medical certification because his classification is changed, no way!