XPO | Safestack Is Sending Employees To The Hospital

That's the problem now. They want to be just a steering wheel holder. This was posted at my place a few years ago. Though it doesn't list bars. I know on the DW list
XmqFJfG.jpg

it does.
These are still dsr responsibilities. No one can change a broken airline or a simple headlight bulb? Come on. Most guys don’t even carry a couple of 7/8 wrenches to swap out a broken airline, and bitch when it takes 6 hours for roadside to get out to them for a 10 minute job. I’ve even helped out another ltl driver swap out a broken airline rather then leaving him stranded.

These are still dsr responsibilities. No one can change a broken airline or a simple headlight bulb? Come on. Most guys don’t even carry a couple of 7/8 wrenches to swap out a broken airline, and bitch when it takes 6 hours for roadside to get out to them for a 10 minute job. I’ve even helped out another ltl driver swap out a broken airline rather then leaving him stranded.
When I was in the United States Army each vehicle had a bag of tools for driver maintenance. I think XPO might want to do the same. It was called an OVM bag. Operator vehicle maintenance.

When I was in the United States Army each vehicle had a bag of tools for driver maintenance. I think XPO might want to do the same. It was called an OVM bag. Operator vehicle maintenance.
That would involve them spending money and that's not going to happen. So I guess we have to buy own tools or don't do repairs

Drivers don’t make money for the company when they do maintenance. Drivers make money for the company when they pick up a Nd deliver freight and service the customer (?which brings more business) simple repairs that result in a more timely service to customers and don’t take much time to do utilize drivers time in an effective manor . Basic maintenance that distracts from good customer service is a deterrent to good timely customer service .

Drivers don’t make money for the company when they do maintenance. Drivers make money for the company when they pick up a Nd deliver freight and service the customer (?which brings more business) simple repairs that result in a more timely service to customers and don’t take much time to do utilize drivers time in an effective manor . Basic maintenance that distracts from good customer service is a deterrent to good timely customer service .
Where's this good customer service you speak of:lmao:

I know other LTL companies have versions of some type of decking system in their trailers , yet I don't recall stumbling onto any threads similar to this one.

How are XPO's competitors handling the maintenance and training for these type of systems?

I'm asking again due to no response. XPO is not the only company that has these types of systems but you don't see complaints from other companies.

I know other LTL companies have versions of some type of decking system in their trailers , yet I don't recall stumbling onto any threads similar to this one.

How are XPO's competitors handling the maintenance and training for these type of systems?

I'm asking again due to no response. XPO is not the only company that has these types of systems but you don't see complaints from other companies.
R&L used to have trailers like ours, but I never seen damage when I worked like I see here

R&l did away with captive load bars. I left in May. They use load tables of various size and shape that are made of square tubing welded together. They do use load bars but they are not the captive ones. There were a few vans and fewer pups that still had the captive beams mounted but I’d say fewer than 1 in 100 units or more.

Ask on the Dayton board. I think they use a deck system.

FedEx Freight has them, we call them "captive beams" and the trailer numbers have the letter "C" on the end. They stopped ordering new trailers with those installed early in 2019. From what I've heard, they're slowly removing them from existing trailers and re-purposing them as removable decking beams. Seems like it was more due to low usage and the damage, not due to injuries.

FedEx Freight has them, we call them "captive beams" and the trailer numbers have the letter "C" on the end. They stopped ordering new trailers with those installed early in 2019. From what I've heard, they're slowly removing them from existing trailers and re-purposing them as removable decking beams. Seems like it was more due to low usage and the damage, not due to injuries.
My understanding YRC has them years ago and did away with them for multiple reasons. The many many millions Con-way spent on this system could have gone a long way in some form of compensation or retirement plan for its drivers and they would have got a lot more in return for it .

Replaced 2 bars last nite almost 2 hours loved it backed the lift in f I r heat
Our system can’t afford that time from a driver and there’s no return for that lost production time . A simple move to add it to routine maintenance by our maintenance department would be a better course than what we do now . Simply put in the current driver shortage have drivers focused on moving freight and mechanics fixing these non emergency task . This is different than replacing a headlight or a broken airline . Having a driver fix those items keeps freight moving in a timely matter .

Our system can’t afford that time from a driver and there’s no return for that lost production time . A simple move to add it to routine maintenance by our maintenance department would be a better course than what we do now . Simply put in the current driver shortage have drivers focused on moving freight and mechanics fixing these non emergency task . This is different than replacing a headlight or a broken airline . Having a driver fix those items keeps freight moving in a timely matter .
This is different in one other way : it's a maintenance item that's shared with dockworkers! A group of people that specifically exist to work in place of drivers at cheaper rate so that drivers can drive!

At times of the day when drivers are not at the terminals ( and trailers are ) it should be something that is a top priority for dockworkers! Repair SafeStack beams!
Honestly , drivers shouldn't even hear about this.

Nobody expects someone from the office to flip your turnsignal on when your driving and about to change lanes ( it's your responsibility ) Why on earth should drivers be expected to maintain trailers interiors? How far should the definition of drivers repairs go?

How about the aerodynamic fins underneath the pups? Should we work on those? ABS light is on , should a diagnosis and repair be attempted? Gladhand is loose , now what? Wheel hub oil seal leaking , do you even know what it is and you just started driving a year ago? By the way , there's no shop at your building and no veteran drivers to ask for advice.

If you give some management an inch , they'll take a mile...I've personally seen a FOS in the past ask a dockworker to "repair " a fifthwheel on a dolly. ( I warned every driver I saw not to use it ) How many more corners need to be cut if safety is REALLY first?

Damm you make it sound like were asking driver to do an oil change and grease the truck. In one case a driver refuse to change his fuel filter 50 miles down the road the truck broke down. The driver froze his ass off waiting on road service. A 20min filter change means all his freight was not worked at the FAC and good timely service was effected