XPO | Safestack Is Sending Employees To The Hospital

I am showing my age and read up on safestack Beams. Now that I have had a impression of it (News to me...) I refuse to adopt that in trucking.

We either run double stacked pallets nose to tail or split the load into two trucks or a opportunity for one to deliver both loads. (Which I love...)

There is a tension imposed on the walls of the sides of the trailer. Isnt that a bad place to impose a bridge loading? The floor is usually good for maybe 6 pallets every 12 feet give or take at a ton per. The strength is in the floor and framing. Van trailers do not bridge as much as say a older Raven Spread Axle Aluminum. The factory manual for that one is rating 52000 on 24 feet or longer at the center marker. An that's one method.

This use of the side walls to bridge tonnage instead of just double stacking pallets is a little bit of a gamble. I don't think I can go along with it.

I get it they are trying to cut down on damage. That goes back to properly stacking and wrapping pallets to capacity. Many shippers could not be bothered and just slammed pallets of say 900 pounds of green peppers on top of 200 pounds of beef tomatoes. And could not give a F all. And you wonder why months of nature's work growing these beautiful cargos are not a bill waiting to be

I am showing my age and read up on safestack Beams. Now that I have had a impression of it (News to me...) I refuse to adopt that in trucking.

We either run double stacked pallets nose to tail or split the load into two trucks or a opportunity for one to deliver both loads. (Which I love...)

There is a tension imposed on the walls of the sides of the trailer. Isnt that a bad place to impose a bridge loading? The floor is usually good for maybe 6 pallets every 12 feet give or take at a ton per. The strength is in the floor and framing. Van trailers do not bridge as much as say a older Raven Spread Axle Aluminum. The factory manual for that one is rating 52000 on 24 feet or longer at the center marker. An that's one method.

This use of the side walls to bridge tonnage instead of just double stacking pallets is a little bit of a gamble. I don't think I can go along with it.

I get it they are trying to cut down on damage. That goes back to properly stacking and wrapping pallets to capacity. Many shippers could not be bothered and just slammed pallets of say 900 pounds of green peppers on top of 200 pounds of beef tomatoes. And could not give a F all. And you wonder why months of nature's work growing these beautiful cargos are not a bill waiting to be
The safe stack system has been around in one form or another for many years, 2 places I worked at before here had something similar and that was the late 90s. I don't see any design flaws in the walls supporting the weight as long as you follow the guidelines. We do have a cultural problem of rushing and not using them properly, until they fix the rush culture they will continue to break and send people to the hospital

The safe stack system has been around in one form or another for many years, 2 places I worked at before here had something similar and that was the late 90s. I don't see any design flaws in the walls supporting the weight as long as you follow the guidelines. We do have a cultural problem of rushing and not using them properly, until they fix the rush culture they will continue to break and send people to the hospital
I appreciate the thoughts.

Its fairly obvious that I am not around pups and doubles etc. However I am always happy to learn new things even if they have been around a while. Im just the sort to be ... resistant to change in a way if it works when people take the time. Great. However there is no time to take the time do things safe. Always go go go go and boom something fails or someone gets hurt. I hate that.\

A question. What kind of weight can you put on a beam? What will it take to carry two 40x48 pallets hardwood and 4 to 5000 pounds up in the air in those things?

I appreciate the thoughts.

Its fairly obvious that I am not around pups and doubles etc. However I am always happy to learn new things even if they have been around a while. Im just the sort to be ... resistant to change in a way if it works when people take the time. Great. However there is no time to take the time do things safe. Always go go go go and boom something fails or someone gets hurt. I hate that.\

A question. What kind of weight can you put on a beam? What will it take to carry two 40x48 pallets hardwood and 4 to 5000 pounds up in the air in those things?
4 beams are supposed to be lowered to stack a standard size skid, we were told 4 beams would support 4000lbs evenly distributed but prefer not to do that unless necessary

4 beams are supposed to be lowered to stack a standard size skid, we were told 4 beams would support 4000lbs evenly distributed but prefer not to do that unless necessary
It's 3 thousand lbs per deck and 3600 lbs per foot of trailer space after the first four feett. The 3600 lb includes all freight on the floor and decks combined. There would never be a reason to load a deck to full capacity following these guidelines.

So flat 3600 pounds per foot of trailer floor after kingpin plate all the way to doors. A four foot amount of cargo can be a total of about 14400 pounds gross combining say a pair of pallets on trailer floor and another pair up above them on safestack beams.

That leads me to another question. I hope some of you see where I am coming from (Flatbed and so forth) It is my understanding you do not put say 12000 pounds on any floor space less than 8 feet on a ordinary van trailer or even a reefer. I have gotten accustomed to say 6 pallets on the floor in that amount of distance give or take a few feet and each pallet about 2600 pounds or so. (Pallets is a sort of misnomer when one considers sort of portable bins of auto parts for example or ball bearings etc) 6 times 2600 comes out to 16000 pounds or just a bit under back of keyboard figuring. Call it 12 feet of trailer floor.

It seems with the previous post about total capacity of safestack, you could attempt to stack 6 more pallets on top again or up in the air on beams. The weights involved at that point is making me consider that my idea of bridge loading 10 feet of ordinary or reefer trailer flooring is a little too conservative.

What say you all?

So flat 3600 pounds per foot of trailer floor after kingpin plate all the way to doors. A four foot amount of cargo can be a total of about 14400 pounds gross combining say a pair of pallets on trailer floor and another pair up above them on safestack beams.

That leads me to another question. I hope some of you see where I am coming from (Flatbed and so forth) It is my understanding you do not put say 12000 pounds on any floor space less than 8 feet on a ordinary van trailer or even a reefer. I have gotten accustomed to say 6 pallets on the floor in that amount of distance give or take a few feet and each pallet about 2600 pounds or so. (Pallets is a sort of misnomer when one considers sort of portable bins of auto parts for example or ball bearings etc) 6 times 2600 comes out to 16000 pounds or just a bit under back of keyboard figuring. Call it 12 feet of trailer floor.

It seems with the previous post about total capacity of safestack, you could attempt to stack 6 more pallets on top again or up in the air on beams. The weights involved at that point is making me consider that my idea of bridge loading 10 feet of ordinary or reefer trailer flooring is a little too conservative.

What say you all?
You're posting from bad information because I didn't notice that I'd left something out of my last post. So here it is corrected. We load or pup trailers to a maximum of 900lbs per foot of trailer space after the first four feet which equals 3600lbs for every 4 feet including the total weight of freight on the floor and freight on the decks. The weight in the front of the pup trailer is not to exceed 2400 lbs from the nose bulkhead to four feet back. A pup is allowed a total cargo weight of 24k pounds, but only the lead as the kit would have to about 3k pounds lighter in order to not exceed 80k gvw. Does it make more sense now?

In all things loading, use common sense. I don’t get too specific on weight/square ft. 2,400 in the first four feet, about 10k for the first half of a pup (14ft), 14k for the last half. As far as weights on decks, I do my best to keep it light, but sometimes something heavy has to go up there.
I do know a city driver that used to max out a 48ft trailer with rolls of paper. On the floor and up on safestack. He could see the trailer flex when driving down the road. Safe? I think not. I think that is one point that 1984 Sideways is trying to make here.

You're posting from bad information because I didn't notice that I'd left something out of my last post. So here it is corrected. We load or pup trailers to a maximum of 900lbs per foot of trailer space after the first four feet which equals 3600lbs for every 4 feet including the total weight of freight on the floor and freight on the decks. The weight in the front of the pup trailer is not to exceed 2400 lbs from the nose bulkhead to four feet back. A pup is allowed a total cargo weight of 24k pounds, but only the lead as the kit would have to about 3k pounds lighter in order to not exceed 80k gvw. Does it make more sense now?
Per a posting by the company the max weight you can have on a set of pups is 42,800lbs. So if your lead is 24K then your kit can not weight more then 18,800lbs. I have found in my experience that if you put 2400lbs in the nose of a trailer and that trl is loaded to 22K or more there is a good chance you will be over weight on you drives.
I know we have the highway Rambo's out there that will pull anything. I seen guys hook a 24K and a 23K and pull them home not me. No more then 24K in a trailer and no more then 42,800lbs in a set and if the place has a scale it gets scaled. If it over axle or over gross I will not pull it until it right. We should all know this company will not have you back when you over weight and :crap: goes south out on the road.

Thank you all. I feel like I am corrected properly and learned a few things about pups weight wise.

I was accustomed to a 2000 Century with sleeper and a 53 great dane which together could put 49500 into the box depending on fuel burn before hitting a scale that matters. Dispatch usually held us to 48000 because 1000 of tare is myself and spouse and all of our stuff in that tractor. No trouble weight wise most of the time.

Today's tractor trailers have gotten pretty obese weight wise in tare. I think the most you can put into a 2020 tractor trailer dane would be about 45000 give or take a thousand.