XPO | Safety first

Actually, they cannot force you to use your 16 rule. That's drivers discretion.

Everything else is spot on.

Policy says the driver is responsible to communicate the situation to his supervisor allowing a discussion of what works best to form a decision (use your 16 or get picked up). "Driver discretion" focuses on Saturday's and closed terminals. If no one is available at the service center then the driver is expected to use his discretion in using the exemption.

Over 26 years here at Conway, NEVER had a tire tread come apart. I think I have been towed in to yard three time in 26 years. I think we have some of the best equipment anywhere.
In all my years I was towed one time and maybe two or three flat tires. Excellent equipment for what we do.

Policy says the driver is responsible to communicate the situation to his supervisor allowing a discussion of what works best to form a decision (use your 16 or get picked up). "Driver discretion" focuses on Saturday's and closed terminals. If no one is available at the service center then the driver is expected to use his discretion in using the exemption.

The D.O.T. has a different interpretation.

We also can't give someone a via knowing it will put them over their 14. For example, any via for XBO/XAB will mandate the 16 hours rule comes into play. So, no vias for that lane.

Actually, they cannot force you to use your 16 rule. That's drivers discretion.

Everything else is spot on.

I used to believe that it was only for "unexpected" situations.
It's not.
Our type of operation can use it once a week regardless of the reason.
As far as forcing it's use, I'm not informed enough on that to reply.

The D.O.T. has a different interpretation.

We also can't give someone a via knowing it will put them over their 14. For example, any via for XBO/XAB will mandate the 16 hours rule comes into play. So, no vias for that lane.

Doesn't matter one bit to the almighty Con-way. They will do it anyway because in their eyes they own you and you should bow to your masters every command without question. This place is a train wreck. Hell even the snitches and suck asses don't like it. Money keeps people here because it sure as hell isn't the benefits or the constant barrage of stupid BS.

For you guys that have only had one tow and one blowout etc. are you a line driver or a city driver and what part of the country are you in?

For you guys that have only had one tow and one blowout etc. are you a line driver or a city driver and what part of the country are you in?[/QUOTE]Half my time linehaul, the other half city,New England

ya want to run less hours on line-haul? Go somewhere with a different operating system. Our system allows every driver to sleep in their own bed every day. And the equipment gets nearly 100% utilization between city and line-haul runs. Corporate greed? By who's dictionary? How about cost effective utilization of equipment?

Can the company force you to WORK over 14... absolutely. Can the company require you to drive beyond your 14th hour of duty, yes. IF you have not used your 16 hour exemption already since your 34 hour reset. Remember hour of service rules control driving... Thou shall not DRIVE more than 11 hours and thou shall not DRIVE after 14 hours on-duty. (don't split hairs here fellas, we all know the exemptions)

Equipment breaking down? Pre-Trip, Pre-Trip, Pre-Trip
http://www.truckingboards.com/forum...ation-asstistance-act-1982-section-405-a.html

With a little backbone , and some intelligence , you don't have to do ANYTHING that may prove UNSAFE.

http://www.truckingboards.com/forum...ally-fired-refusing-haul-overweight-load.html

http://www.truckingboards.com/forum...rders-reinstatement-memphis-truck-driver.html

http://www.truckingboards.com/forum...-fired-driver-refusing-drive-bad-weather.html

Remember-You need proof. If it's bad equipment , orders to violate HOS , orders to drive in dangerous conditions , etc.. Not your opinion , proof.

They cannot force you to go over 14 hrs. That is company policy. Has recently been addressed up here in the northeast.

No, they can't force you to run over your 14, but if you run out somewhere and have to wait to be picked up, then what? How long are you going to have to wait for someone to get to you? When does your "break" really start, when your 14 is up or when you get home? If you have to wait 3 hours to get picked up and then get home, what, do you have to be back in 7? What's safe about that? Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's RIGHT. We should have the same rules FedX has, if your run is total over 450 miles, you don't work the dock. Period. And because they go over at the FAC isn't your problem. You should not be forced to run a via. Period. If they have another set of hooks ready going back, if you don't want the via then you get your hooks going home. Period. That's what top end flex board drivers are for, to run the vias out of the FAC when they go over.

No, they can't force you to run over your 14, but if you run out somewhere and have to wait to be picked up, then what? How long are you going to have to wait for someone to get to you? When does your "break" really start, when your 14 is up or when you get home? If you have to wait 3 hours to get picked up and then get home, what, do you have to be back in 7? What's safe about that? Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's RIGHT. We should have the same rules FedX has, if your run is total over 450 miles, you don't work the dock. Period. And because they go over at the FAC isn't your problem. You should not be forced to run a via. Period. If they have another set of hooks ready going back, if you don't want the via then you get your hooks going home. Period. That's what top end flex board drivers are for, to run the vias out of the FAC when they go over.

Your break starts after you're relieved from duty. Which is when you get back to your home service center.

Doesn't matter one bit to the almighty Con-way. They will do it anyway because in their eyes they own you and you should bow to your masters every command without question. This place is a train wreck. Hell even the snitches and suck asses don't like it. Money keeps people here because it sure as hell isn't the benefits or the constant barrage of stupid BS.

For you guys that have only had one tow and one blowout etc. are you a line driver or a city driver and what part of the country are you in?

Texas has more blow-outs/tire repair than any other state. Per conway. Ask the shop mgr.

Linehaul drivers should start their log when they arrive at their terminal for work. If the FOS says be there at 7 and your there at 7, still waiting for your loads, start your log book, on duty.
Most of you guys are doing work related stuff like pretrips, securing a particular dolly, or even cleaning your windows because your killing time waiting for your loads. If the sun was out and it was 7am you would be punched in, getting paid to do those things, you would be on duty.
You guys start your log when your loads are ready and you punch the clock to go hook. That's wrong in my opinion. If your at the job ready to work but the work is not ready your still on duty. Imagine the Linehaul driver doing on 16 on paper has really been at the job for 17 or 18 hours. That will without a doubt turn you into a zombie driver and catch up to you sooner or later. Hold Conway accountable for their end of the deal and but the ball in their court. Start your log when you walk into the office and the FOS tells you to sit tight.

Linehaul drivers should start their log when they arrive at their terminal for work. If the FOS says be there at 7 and your there at 7, still waiting for your loads, start your log book, on duty.
Most of you guys are doing work related stuff like pretrips, securing a particular dolly, or even cleaning your windows because your killing time waiting for your loads. If the sun was out and it was 7am you would be punched in, getting paid to do those things, you would be on duty.
You guys start your log when your loads are ready and you punch the clock to go hook. That's wrong in my opinion. If your at the job ready to work but the work is not ready your still on duty. Imagine the Linehaul driver doing on 16 on paper has really been at the job for 17 or 18 hours. That will without a doubt turn you into a zombie driver and catch up to you sooner or later. Hold Conway accountable for their end of the deal and but the ball in their court. Start your log when you walk into the office and the FOS tells you to sit tight.
Why would you not want to get paid for all that stuff your talking about? I'm not starting my log til I'm getting paid. We work the dock if we're not ready.

According to DOT rules, you are supposed to be on duty not driving because you are WAITING for your loads, on company property. I don't have time right now to find where it is, but it is in the log book area.

According to DOT rules, you are supposed to be on duty not driving because you are WAITING for your loads, on company property. I don't have time right now to find where it is, but it is in the log book area.

That's correct but most drivers I know don't do it.

Start your log at your start time, then sit and wait for 2 hours. By the time you get your loads, you don't have enough hours to complete the run. Hit the dock, driver!