SAIA | Saia’s Record Or Driven By Higher Yield On Small Revenue Increase

88.5 & yet they are still "considering" pay increases & didn't they just raise the cost for benefits?
The funny thing about quarterly reporting is that money/numbers are easily manipulated... For example the postdated, lump sum, return of the 401K match was done on the first day of the 4th quarter

88.5 & yet they are still "considering" pay increases & didn't they just raise the cost for benefits?
The funny thing about quarterly reporting is that money/numbers are easily manipulated... For example the postdated, lump sum, return of the 401K match was done on the first day of the 4th quarter
What most don't understand is the operating ratio. 88.5 OR is not 11.5% profit. It is operating income. It is income before taxes and updating or adding additional facilities and equipment.
My last full year before retirement, 2003, Yellow Transportation had an after tax profit of $26 million. My union brothers and sisters thought that was an amazing amount of money. It was $1000 per employee. Each employee created $20 per week in profit.

So where is the one new terminal for the 1st qtr. ? I know there has been one planned for Ct. but not sure if that’s it. Quarter is almost half over.
Never mind , got the rest of the article to open. Wilmington De in the North East

Does anyone wonder why the stock price has climbed from around 70.00 per share mid April 2020 to where it is trading today? Is the truckline doing anything different now than it did then? The answer is no. Wage increases and bonuses were deferred until 2021. Saia is the only LTL truckline to defer or withhold such, during what was a very difficult, unprecedented year. The gamble has resulted in record setting financial results for 2020. Ill be interested to see how that gamble pays off in 2021, and, 2022.

Does anyone wonder why the stock price has climbed from around 70.00 per share mid April 2020 to where it is trading today? Is the truckline doing anything different now than it did then? The answer is no. Wage increases and bonuses were deferred until 2021. Saia is the only LTL truckline to defer or withhold such, during what was a very difficult, unprecedented year. The gamble has resulted in record setting financial results for 2020. Ill be interested to see how that gamble pays off in 2021, and, 2022.
The former CEO’s brilliant leadership skills. Rick O’dell grew this company internally and didn’t create massive debt with stupid acquisitions like his father-in-law Zollars. He must have taken Zollars advice at the Thanksgiving table. That’s just one of the major reasons. Being union free is another major reason why they have remained the fastest growing LTL company in business today. It’s amazing how restrictive work rules destroy the flexibility and growth of companies. Just look at YRC (now Yellow) and what the Teamsters did to their profit margins. SAIA is the next Old Dominion and will catch them within this decade.

9E33DCA0-3854-4FC9-B83D-21BAB77BE52C.md.png

The former CEO’s brilliant leadership skills. Rick O’dell grew this company internally and didn’t create massive debt with stupid acquisitions like his father-in-law Zollars. He must have taken Zollars advice at the Thanksgiving table. That’s just one of the major reasons. Being union free is another major reason why they have remained the fastest growing LTL company in business today. It’s amazing how restrictive work rules destroy the flexibility and growth of companies. Just look at YRC (now Yellow) and what the Teamsters did to their profit margins. SAIA is the next Old Dominion and will catch them within this decade.
This is what happens when you keep Hoffa Jr. out of your pockets. He’s a worthless POS! Senior is rolling over in his grave at what his son has done to the Teamsters.
How does the company growing fast and stock price going up help the driver when it comes at the cost of wage increases and bonuses. Higher stock price only fattens wall street investors and upper management at Saia

How does the company growing fast and stock price going up help the driver when it comes at the cost of wage increases and bonuses. Higher stock price only fattens wall street investors and upper management at Saia
When stock is high the company thrives and the result are higher wages and better benefits to labor. It also increases job security and junior men move up in seniority. Just look at Yellows stock and the massive losses. And that’s even with that $700 million loan. SAIA is one of the highest paying LTL companies in the industry. That doesn’t happen by accident!

I've been out of the game for a while now and someone correct me, if I am wrong, but Saia has had an annual wage increase, for the last several years running. As for as SAIA stock goes, you don't think ordinary people , which includes SAIA rank and file employees, are smart enough to own SAIA stock?

I've been out of the game for a while now and someone correct me, if I am wrong, but Saia has had an annual wage increase, for the last several years running. As for as SAIA stock goes, you don't think ordinary people , which includes SAIA rank and file employees, are smart enough to own SAIA stock?
When you look at what we paid for it and you look at what it is today you can only kick yourself in the ass for not buying more.

I shutter to think someone would to invest a lot of money into stock of their company....Enron
Wouldn't it have been better for the drivers to get a raise and bonus last year instead of having a higher stock price?

There is no doubt that Mr. O'Dell grew the company the right way. Through out the years and decades, we have all seen examples of failed acquisitions, mergers, etc.. The point of my post is when a company defers wage increases, bonuses, and 401k contributions, while reporting record financial results, during an un -pressedented pandemic, its worth noticing. Its too early to compare OD and Saia.