SAIA | Saia’s Record Or Driven By Higher Yield On Small Revenue Increase

I shutter to think someone would to invest a lot of money into stock of their company....Enron

Wouldn't it have been better for the drivers to get a raise and bonus last year instead of having a higher stock price?
Saia pays every Wednesday, good insurance, good 401-k plan with company match, excellent equipment, excellent road or interminal repair infrastructure, an annual raise in both mileage and hourly pay, and for most employees, a five day work week with weekends and paid major holidays off and that's not all. On top of all that, when I left, I was running a regular, nothing special, and reasonable mileage route, that paid 90 grand a year. You still want the company to do more???????

When you look at what we paid for it and you look at what it is today you can only kick yourself in the ass for not buying more.
About a year ago the stock was selling at $65 per share. Ten shares then was $650.00. Ten shares now is roughly $2,000. Yes, I agree, some ass kicking is in order.

What most don't understand is the operating ratio. 88.5 OR is not 11.5% profit. It is operating income. It is income before taxes and updating or adding additional facilities and equipment.
My last full year before retirement, 2003, Yellow Transportation had an after tax profit of $26 million. My union brothers and sisters thought that was an amazing amount of money. It was $1000 per employee. Each employee created $20 per week in profit.
OR is the standard measure for ltl & trucking in general. No one wants to see the actual thin profit margin. I’d guess, on your info, Yellow’s margin was 4% or so.

About a year ago the stock was selling at $65 per share. Ten shares then was $650.00. Ten shares now is roughly $2,000. Yes, I agree, some ass kicking is in order.
In 2012 the stock price was around 14.00 per share. There is no doubt that Saia is a "little darling" on NASDAQ. My point is how did they get there. The competition didn't defer compensation to the life line of the truckline, to those on the front line. If a 2nd wage increase is granted in 2021, and the withheld emplyee 401k contribution from 2020 is matched, then I'll be proven wrong.

In 2012 the stock price was around 14.00 per share. There is no doubt that Saia is a "little darling" on NASDAQ. My point is how did they get there. The competition didn't defer compensation to the life line of the truckline, to those on the front line. If a 2nd wage increase is granted in 2021, and the withheld emplyee 401k contribution from 2020 is matched, then I'll be proven wrong.
Doesn’t matter. The company would of still did good numbers. 2020 in trucking has actually been amazing for everyone besides the 1st quarter. If you lost money as a company you are absolutely doing something wrong. That’s why you can become an owner operator and have no business sense and still succeed. You can buy a non fuel efficient truck and make a lot of money. Saia paying the match and increasing the wage wouldn’t of sunk the numbers in 2020. It might have not been record breaking but it would have been growth regardless. Unlike YRC when they gave their employees a raise then the ship sprung a bigger hole same concept towards Saia wouldn’t happen the people who run this company are financially savvy. Trucking was booming in 2020 and still going so far in 2021.

Doesn’t matter. The company would of still did good numbers. 2020 in trucking has actually been amazing for everyone besides the 1st quarter. If you lost money as a company you are absolutely doing something wrong. That’s why you can become an owner operator and have no business sense and still succeed. You can buy a non fuel efficient truck and make a lot of money. Saia paying the match and increasing the wage wouldn’t of sunk the numbers in 2020. It might have not been record breaking but it would have been growth regardless. Unlike YRC when they gave their employees a raise then the ship sprung a bigger hole same concept towards Saia wouldn’t happen the people who run this company are financially savvy. Trucking was booming in 2020 and still going so far in 2021.
So why did Saia not give raises and a bonus last year if it wasn't going to affect their profits last year

They got there by offering a product that customers found attractive, by making on time pickups and deliveries, being very reliable, and affordable. Just a better mousetrap.

Saia did give raises last year. You want a bonus, then you have to work inside and who the hell wants that stress.
Saia did not give raises during the calender year of 2020. 401k contributions were also eliminated. I'm not an accountant, but that is significant if you consider the number of full time employees that work for the corporation. On paper, and on Wall Street, Saia maybe the next ODFL. Saia has the potential to do what Wall Street forecasts, but it will not happen until they put their drivers and customers first.

Saia did not give raises during the calender year of 2020. 401k contributions were also eliminated.
On the Saia forum.

When Will Saia Start 401k Matching?​

• Thread starterBogie
  • Start dateOct 14, 2020
  • McUzi

Member​

They've resumed matching, I'm already seeing it in my Fidelity account.
  • Bastardly

Member​

Didn't they specifically state that they were going to resume on October 1st postdated back to June or July.... I don't remember exact dates but it was at the end of the last video that was emailed to us
  • White

Straight’nin the curves, flat’nin the hills​

Premium
    Bastardly said:
    Didn't they specifically state that they were going to resume on October 1st postdated back to June or July.... I don't remember exact dates but it was at the end of the last video that was emailed to us
    Correct
Saia did eliminate the match but, as you can see, the company not only re-instated it but back dated it several months. I guess you forgot that part.

https://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/when-will-saia-start-401k-matching.106319/watch

Saia did not give raises during the calender year of 2020. 401k contributions were also eliminated. I'm not an accountant, but that is significant if you consider the number of full time employees that work for the corporation. On paper, and on Wall Street, Saia maybe the next ODFL. Saia has the potential to do what Wall Street forecasts, but it will not happen until they put their drivers and customers first.
During my last several years at Saia, we got an annual mileage and hourly wage hike around July of each year. But, you are right, in that, Saia did not give a pay raise in 2020. However, you are wrong, too. Saia gave a pay raise, in January, 2021. The expectation is that Saia will also give another raise, somewhere around July of 2021.
Saia made good on the 401-k match and giving the raise in January several months ahead of the normal July wage hike. If Saia comes through, in July, with the second pay raise, then I can't see where anybody has anything to bitch about.

During my last several years at Saia, we got an annual mileage and hourly wage hike around July of each year. But, you are right, in that, Saia did not give a pay raise in 2020. However, you are wrong, too. Saia gave a pay raise, in January, 2021. The expectation is that Saia will also give another raise, somewhere around July of 2021.
Saia made good on the 401-k match and giving the raise in January several months ahead of the normal July wage hike. If Saia comes through, in July, with the second pay raise, then I can't see where anybody has anything to bitch about.
Just want to point out that Saia also has a history of pay reduction and/or staff reduction. When that happened and we were brought back to the rate prior to the reduction, the company (along with those with blinders on) lauded it as a wage increase. No it certainly was not. It was just getting us back to where we were at before. Saia does have a way of manipulating some of their nomenclature and numbers to come out smelling like a rose. But, for anyone who has gardened before, you know you have to shovel an awful lot of **** before you get roses.

Although OD is much bigger, I never thought I’d see SAIA’s stock higher.
Comparing share price alone is almost meaningless. OD has a market cap of $24.6 billion with 117.33 million shares outstanding while SAIA has a market cap of $5.33 billion and 26.16 million shares outstanding.

Comparing share price alone is almost meaningless. OD has a market cap of $24.6 billion with 117.33 million shares outstanding while SAIA has a market cap of $5.33 billion and 26.16 million shares outstanding.
I know all that! I stated they were much bigger. My intention wasn’t to compare. I just never thought SAIA’s stock would ever trade even close to ODs ... That surprised me.

I know all that! I stated they were much bigger. My intention wasn’t to compare. I just never thought SAIA’s stock would ever trade even close to ODs ... That surprised me.
I jus check the stock market and OD is back in the left lane truckn up

The only way a comparison of share price would have any meaning is if the number of shares outstanding were the same for both companies. Then you could say the company with the higher share price is more highly valued. Otherwise it's a meaningless comparison. It's like saying a guy with a $5 bill is worth more than a guy with 5 $1 bills.