XPO | Samsara camera updates - pilot program

I think the answer is 2 fold .

1) what can they do about it . The company will do what they will do . They have no say.

2) There are MANY that think they are above any kind of wrongdoing that they may be caught doing with live constant surveillance. Another words I do everything right all the time so it’s no biggie . It’s my job to do everything 100% all the time . I never veer from that . That’s to crack down on the other guy who’s always doing wrong .

I was going to bring it up myself but I believe it is a moot point with these guys .

I will explain in a post why I think it’s being implemented.(for whatever that’s worth)
First I like to see some responses.

OK for one 19 SICs got suckered into this pilot program. At my barn we have former Amazon drivers that left because of this system. Due to the stress they were put under. One so bad his doctor told him to leave. The pilot program was brought up to our drivers and to say the feed back was not good. Some even saying you don't pay me enough to put up with the :crap: now and you want to add this too. Our LH driver never had the pleasure of sitting in a meeting since our sic only had 2 meeting at 9 and 1030 on Monday morning. Posted below is and E-mail sent out to every Sic in the system.

Samsara.md.jpeg

I will say this. Ever since we started running more of these TT schools and paying them to sit in class the more crashes we are seeing. In the last year at my place I think all of the accidents were by drivers with less then 1yr. One even got fired because he had 3 in less then 6 months. Events that got you fired for a few years ago are brushed aside. Low bridge hits, roll over and excessive speed got you standing out side looking in. I had LH drivers at night pass me going down hill doing 80+.
We kind of brought this on ourselves.

What are everyone's thoughts on this, and what is the buzz like at your barn? I'm kind of astounded no one has brought this up yet; I created an account to do so. No more lurking I guess.
Oh yea BTW the system has been on for months without the audible warning. They been watching you, As per the XHG district safety manger. So smile and give them the finger :fingure:

Oh yea BTW the system has been on for months without the audible warning. They been watching you, As per the XHG district safety manger. So smile and give them the finger :fingure:
I’m not sure of that . Not saying it’s not possible but I don’t believe him .
I will say this. Ever since we started running more of these TT schools and paying them to sit in class the more crashes we are seeing. In the last year at my place I think all of the accidents were by drivers with less then 1yr. One even got fired because he had 3 in less then 6 months. Events that got you fired for a few years ago are brushed aside. Low bridge hits, roll over and excessive speed got you standing out side looking in. I had LH drivers at night pass me going down hill doing 80+.
We kind of brought this on ourselves.
I will have more to say about this in a bit . It ties into the driving school to an extent.

Well who drives the truck? Who speeding? Now I'm not saying it's all of us, but 497 unsafe driving violation in the last 24 months. 229 of them for speeding. Most of these violation are easy fixes one being speeding. Here just take a look around at some of the dumb violation drivers here got in the last 24 month
You also mentioned the higher accident rate of newer drivers emanating from the schools. So I may agree some drivers but not “we” as to encapsulate all.

What are everyone's thoughts on this, and what is the buzz like at your barn? I'm kind of astounded no one has brought this up yet; I created an account to do so. No more lurking I guess.
The way this was presented at my location is that a majority of drivers have to want this new software enabled for that to happen. I think it was 75%

Also , we were asked "Do you think the new features provided by the software upgrade would help?" Of those in attendance at the meeting , the answer was an overwhelming , NO!

The terminal manager shared that the costs to add the software upgrade was substantial ( although no numbers were provided )

I asked would this new software have kept a set from being turned over by a new driver a few months ago and the TM said they doubted it.

The way this was presented at my location is that a majority of drivers have to want this new software enabled for that to happen. I think it was 75%

Also , we were asked "Do you think the new features provided by the software upgrade would help?" Of those in attendance at the meeting , the answer was an overwhelming , NO!

The terminal manager shared that the costs to add the software upgrade was substantial ( although no numbers were provided )

I asked would this new software have kept a set from being turned over by a new driver a few months ago and the TM said they doubted it.
We were told 100% had to agree to become a pilot location. I don’t think that’s a law , obviously the company can initiate this whenever they want. I feel just like with the other initial drivecam rollout it’s a soft sell. If you remember the videos from that how a selected group of drivers stated on the videos that it made them a better driver bla bla bla… Its was just going to be a teaching Tool . Than it went to coaching and then it became a means of discipline .( Not at our location however)
My main fear for you guys at locations that are subject to disciplinary actions from these new enhancements is that as perfect as you may strive to be under constant surveillance you will get caught doing something wrong ( nobody is perfect) . It‘s inevitable.
This is a game changer for you guys.

First, Welcome to trucker boards. I think for me it will take some time to change some habits while driving. None of the old policies for speeding, following too close etc, have been enforced for quite a while. Let’s hope the additional monitoring will be cost prohibitive.

None of the old policies for speeding, following too close etc, have been enforced for quite a while
When the cams had the speed function on. We were told about speeding. There biggest problem was some of the data on the GPS was out of date. On one interstate it took me showing them on Google maps street view that the road was 70mph not 55mph that the gps said it was. record me every time I was over 65 in that section.
Also at that time we were flood with freight and they had a hard time hiring. Now it slow and as you read someplace are overstaffed.

Even the feds new laws aren't working like they projected. What make anyone think this will work. As law got stricter more and more driver left the industry.
I love how the Feds always point to the public comments. Yeah they have them, I don’t think they actually listen to them. And their cost benefit analysis, it was supposed to save 26 deaths annually, there are 11 deaths per day from drowning in swimming pools according the the CDC. How did they do that analysis?