ABF | Scab city drivers

145'er 4 life

TB Lurker
Credits
we have been using 4-6 scabs daily for situ deliveries for the past 3 weeks and continuing this week being the 4th week... Excuses are that they don't want to hire cause they will have to lay off.... How much of this are we going to take?? Where do we draw the line? We also have "Warner"
"Swift" are pulling their own trailers from our dock.. They are being told to do so by our supervisor. Our union seems to be brushing all this off like nothing.. Anyone else using non-Union drivers for city deliveries?

Opinions????

we have been using 4-6 scabs daily for situ deliveries for the past 3 weeks and continuing this week being the 4th week... Excuses are that they don't want to hire cause they will have to lay off.... How much of this are we going to take?? Where do we draw the line? We also have "Warner"
"Swift" are pulling their own trailers from our dock.. They are being told to do so by our supervisor. Our union seems to be brushing all this off like nothing.. Anyone else using non-Union drivers for city deliveries?

Opinions????

Oh, you'll get a lot of opinions, Brother. Seems like it depends on how your Local leadership is willing to flex their muscles.........I know here in W. Pa. things would just grind to a halt.

Not being ......"able" .......to hire is absolute B.S. Prior to this contract, ABF never had to advertise for drivers,........they always had a line out the door of applicants. THEY are the ones that changed the conditions that made this job not so great anymore.

Check your Art. 32 section on subcontracting, and start documenting truck and trailer numbers,........and keep track of the names and times of the scabbos. Don't bother to hide what you're doing ..........in fact, be real open about what you're documenting.

I'll betcha you'll get some sort of action pretty quick when they realize someone is keeping careful records.

Opinions????

Scab drivers? Isn't a Scab somebody who crosses a picket line to replace striking employees or continues to work despite the strike? I didn't realize ABF was on strike.

Scab drivers? Isn't a Scab somebody who crosses a picket line to replace striking employees or continues to work despite the strike? I didn't realize ABF was on strike.

I believe we were using the term "scab" in the perjorative sense, Brother ...........as in "anyone willing to be a party to the further destruction of Union rules and conditions, while hoping to get on the "good" side of local management by proving what a back-stabber they are to their fellow employees"...........

You know.........the "perjorative" sense......

I believe we were using the term "scab" in the perjorative sense, Brother ...........as in "anyone willing to be a party to the further destruction of Union rules and conditions, while hoping to get on the "good" side of local management by proving what a back-stabber they are to their fellow employees"...........

You know.........the "perjorative" sense......

Oh I hear ya, it just grinds my gears when these "scabs" get vilified, because I'm not sure the majority of union folks realize but there is a whole new generation who has been raised and instilled with the idea that unions are bad, it's instilled by their parents, it's instilled by their relatives, it's instilled by the the republican party,and unions have been under attack for a long time and its really starting to sink in unfortunately. These "scabs" are just trying to make a living for themselves, and 90% of them don't realize they are doing what you've mentioned, I guarantee it, so instead of people calling them scabs and vilifying them, you need to look at the big picture, the problem is much larger than these individuals, they are just a product of the broken system.

I know at the NPME terminal I'm at they use a couple cartage companies. Mostly for undesirable deliveries and ones that are way off the beaten path. The freight has to deliver and as much as we don't like them delivering our freight, whats the alternative don't haul it?

Opinions????
As far as the shiny wheels go, they are only allowed to hook at certain spots in our yard and if they pull form anywhere else then a union man gets paid and we have done this at least once that I know of.

Odd that they cannot find drivers to work but can find plenty of pt that pays way less.
I recently had an opportunity to talk to a lady in Sacramento. She and her husband were a team for werner. I asked her why don't they work for abf or yrc where they can make better money and bennies. She said they were getting ready to retire. So I said I guess you don't like to make money. She told me that they were hauling freight that we don't have driver's to cover. I the company will never hire anyone as l told her as they will work for nothing. She shrugged her shoulders and walked away. One of the crst driver's told me that he earns 23 cents per mile. I don't get it.

We'll miss Judy said she would to speed up the process to get to 50 50 ratio on asset light side. She is doing it and she will continue to do it until we take a stand. Next contract vote no. When they send another on vote no. Vote no until you see no more pts in the contract

Oh I hear ya, it just grinds my gears when these "scabs" get vilified, because I'm not sure the majority of union folks realize but there is a whole new generation who has been raised and instilled with the idea that unions are bad, it's instilled by their parents, it's instilled by their relatives, it's instilled by the the republican party,and unions have been under attack for a long time and its really starting to sink in unfortunately. These "scabs" are just trying to make a living for themselves, and 90% of them don't realize they are doing what you've mentioned, I guarantee it, so instead of people calling them scabs and vilifying them, you need to look at the big picture, the problem is much larger than these individuals, they are just a product of the broken system.

You make a good point. But, ....I'm a child of the sixties . We did EVERYTHING the opposite of what they were trying to indoctrinate into our skulls.

It seems to me ,.......after 40 years in this business.......that there are many people who are .... willfully ignorant......of what a Union stands for. My oldest son is the plant manager of a Union steel mill in PGH. with about 300 Union members. He tells me that there are about 50 active members, about 200 passive members,........and what's astounding to both him and I ,........there about 50 guys openly antagonistic against the Union........some to the point that they are always trying to cut deals and spy on their fellow workers.

Since he grew up in a Union family, he has a marked distaste for the deal-cutters and spy-offerers..........he can deal with honest negotiations and valid grievances....

But to have such a large amount of ......Quislings.......in an old established plant, with an old established Unionized workforce....... people willing to compromise their own....."Christian"..morals.....is rather stunning and troubling.

Many people aren't the naive " I just need a job".......type people they make themselves out to be. More and more there are the willfully "ignorant".......who will pretend their "ignorance" is an excuse to try to cut someone else out of a job by being an employer's Patsy.

I recently had an opportunity to talk to a lady in Sacramento. She and her husband were a team for werner. I asked her why don't they work for abf or yrc where they can make better money and bennies. She said they were getting ready to retire. So I said I guess you don't like to make money. She told me that they were hauling freight that we don't have driver's to cover. I the company will never hire anyone as l told her as they will work for nothing. She shrugged her shoulders and walked away. One of the crst driver's told me that he earns 23 cents per mile. I don't get it.
Probably a team splitting .46 per mile.

Probably a team splitting .46 per mile.

I guess if her brother-in-law and sister were in the truck too, they'd all split 46 cents a mile,..........but the truck would drive four times longer.

I could never understand team pay. You mean if a guy's in the bunk behind me, then my driving skills are only worth half as much?

If Hoffa had negotiated that benefit contributions be made for every hour that the PT
I guess if her brother-in-law and sister were in the truck too, they'd all split 46 cents a mile,..........but the truck would drive four times longer.

I could never understand team pay. You mean if a guy's in the bunk behind me, then my driving skills are only worth half as much?
It helps promote bickering amongst the working staff..."I drove more miles than you did", "The hell you did, I drove all the way from San Francisco while you're lazy ass snored in the bunk", "Yeah? Well last week I had to drive straight through from Birmingham to Dallas because you were sick again".:ranting2:

You make a good point. But, ....I'm a child of the sixties . We did EVERYTHING the opposite of what they were trying to indoctrinate into our skulls.

It seems to me ,.......after 40 years in this business.......that there are many people who are .... willfully ignorant......of what a Union stands for. My oldest son is the plant manager of a Union steel mill in PGH. with about 300 Union members. He tells me that there are about 50 active members, about 200 passive members,........and what's astounding to both him and I ,........there about 50 guys openly antagonistic against the Union........some to the point that they are always trying to cut deals and spy on their fellow workers.

Since he grew up in a Union family, he has a marked distaste for the deal-cutters and spy-offerers..........he can deal with honest negotiations and valid grievances....

But to have such a large amount of ......Quislings.......in an old established plant, with an old established Unionized workforce....... people willing to compromise their own....."Christian"..morals.....is rather stunning and troubling.

Many people aren't the naive " I just need a job".......type people they make themselves out to be. More and more there are the willfully "ignorant".......who will pretend their "ignorance" is an excuse to try to cut someone else out of a job by being an employer's Patsy.
Read some of the comments on the non Union boards all you can do is just shake your head.

2 of them know the way out, and the other 2 know the way back...

If Hoffa had negotiated that benefit contributions be made for every hour that the PT

It helps promote bickering amongst the working staff..."I drove more miles than you did", "The hell you did, I drove all the way from San Francisco while you're lazy ass snored in the bunk", "Yeah? Well last week I had to drive straight through from Birmingham to Dallas because you were sick again".:ranting2:

I run team now, and splitting the pay essentially means you get paid half the rate (in our case .72 cpm when the new raise kicks in) for all the miles the truck runs. As for a lazy partner, there's ways to fix that...

I run team now, and splitting the pay essentially means you get paid half the rate (in our case .72 cpm when the new raise kicks in) for all the miles the truck runs. As for a lazy partner, there's ways to fix that...

Teams split the pay......but you should get 36 cents a mile hazard pay, for putting your life in someone else's hands......