XPO | seniority power trip ?

Very well put. I too am always bending over backwards for the senior and junior guys alike. But thats just me, I don't care if you have 25+ years or 3 days in, I will help you no matter who you are. But it's funny, cause when I need a hand the senior guys from outside of my barn just ride by and don't even offer a brother a hand...Damn it, I just hand unloaded that freight for that guy 20 min agao and he won't give a 2+year junior a hand. That stinks right there.:nutkick:
Yea. This attitude that seniors have about the company, or juniors, owing them something is really annoying. Ya, you get the better truck, pic vaca earlier than we do, bid for better start times.....but thats it bro. We are all here doing the same job.:smilie_132:

O, and the "where was I" thing....I was most likey in the 6th or 7th grade when you adjusting your own brakes and pallet jacking everything.:1036316054: So this is my fault why? Im supposed to owe you something and bow down to your seniority because I am half your age and was learning basic arithmatic when you were being super-employee :biglaugh:

Ya right. Take your power trip somewhere else. Believe you me, I am the first FNG to help a guy out when he needs it, but do you think any senior guys stop what they are doing to help me??? Not a chance. The difference is I respect them for their seniority and will help them out....until the power trips start. Then your on your own.

Yea. This attitude that seniors have about the company, or juniors, owing them something is really annoying. Ya, you get the better truck, pic vaca earlier than we do, bid for better start times.....but thats it bro. We are all here doing the same job.:smilie_132:

O, and the "where was I" thing....I was most likey in the 6th or 7th grade when you adjusting your own brakes and pallet jacking everything.:1036316054: So this is my fault why? Im supposed to owe you something and bow down to your seniority because I am half your age and was learning basic arithmatic when you were being super-employee :biglaugh:

Ya right. Take your power trip somewhere else. Believe you me, I am the first FNG to help a guy out when he needs it, but do you think any senior guys stop what they are doing to help me??? Not a chance. The difference is I respect them for their seniority and will help them out....until the power trips start. Then your on your own.

There is a seperation between senior and new starts. I had to tolerate that crap when I started more than a decade ago. I was not a rookie out of truck school. I was older and I already had experience in LTL as well as other aspects. The senior guys in place thought their snot could make cole slaw. They were a tight clique and they strutted around like roosters barking orders like they were in charge and in a lot of ways they were. If you went against them they would get you back and get away with it because they had the tm's favor. Man, looking back, this always was a f***ked up place to work.

:Violin: In our yard, XCN, P&D runs are assigned to individual drivers based and picked by seniority. Those P&D runs in our yard are also assigned tractors with that paticular route as well. Our night linehaul senior drivers, for the most part usually are able to take the same tractor each night. But your right, they all say Conway on the side, and on paper, they are not assigned to drivers. But if a guy with 17+ years in has a newer tractor and usually takes that same tractor everyday or night, yeah he is going to be pissed a bit if junior takes it. I would be too! The negative attitude and seniority attitude that junior should do this cause I'm senior man has got to stop! we are all on the same level, 5 or more years in and we are all on the same pay scale too. Remember senior, junior is the future of this company, treat him like you would want to be treated. After all, it is junior thats going to be here after you retire to help ensure that Conway will continue to be successfull and continues to grow, not to mention the fact that junior will help make sure the company is still together so that you can have some sort of retirement from this company. Remember, a negative attitude spreads like cancer, lets just come in with a smile, do a great job, and all will be well.:smilie_132:

Signed, 2+ year Junior

Remember junior,if senior did not do his job there would be no company for you.:hysterical:

It's a double edged sword. It should not be seniors vs juniors or juniors vs seniors.

while you 2 are fighting the middle guys are having to do all the work. :nutkick: :hide:

I understand the whole thing about "we are all on the same team" business. We are not supposed to bicker between ourselves...I GET IT. But take this for example:

Last week my truck was out of service for a new starter. That same week our top driver was on vacation. Hmm....do the math. Which truck am I taking now?? Thats right, junior is now driving seniors truck. So be it. So fast forward to Wednesday of this week, and what happens during morning breakdown?? Those 2-3 seniors who are always on a power trip stop what they are doing to ask me a question. They ask, "Hey FNG, do you just jump in any truck you feel like it? You been taking the best truck all week." So I then explain to them about my truck and the senior guy being on vaca and that 1+1=2.

So my problem is, as soon as it was explained to them they were fine with it...but before that they thought I was this junior guy walking around doing whatever I felt, which in reality I was doing what my FOS told me to do and take the assigned truck.

My point you ask? What F'ing business is it those 2-3 seniors in asking me what truck I am driving and acting like they are being hosed and shorted on their time at Con-way?

I understand the whole thing about "we are all on the same team" business. We are not supposed to bicker between ourselves...I GET IT. But take this for example:

Last week my truck was out of service for a new starter. That same week our top driver was on vacation. Hmm....do the math. Which truck am I taking now?? Thats right, junior is now driving seniors truck. So be it. So fast forward to Wednesday of this week, and what happens during morning breakdown?? Those 2-3 seniors who are always on a power trip stop what they are doing to ask me a question. They ask, "Hey FNG, do you just jump in any truck you feel like it? You been taking the best truck all week." So I then explain to them about my truck and the senior guy being on vaca and that 1+1=2.

So my problem is, as soon as it was explained to them they were fine with it...but before that they thought I was this junior guy walking around doing whatever I felt, which in reality I was doing what my FOS told me to do and take the assigned truck.

My point you ask? What F'ing business is it those 2-3 seniors in asking me what truck I am driving and acting like they are being hosed and shorted on their time at Con-way?

What about the newbies who do hop in any truck they feel like, because they don't know any better? It's the seniors duty to explain certain things to new guys. I went through it (long before Con-way) and learned from it. You seem to have any idea, you found out who was on vacation, so NP. But how would you like it a newbie started taking YOUR truck everyday?

We have policy and we have procedure, and we have the method in which each service center employees p&p. The "method" is what is being argued here. Policy is newest truck on the longest run... period. It is the service center manager's responsibility to interpret policy and communicate that interpretation to his supervisors. This becomes the method in which your terminal operates. You guys can argue all day long about what you do in location X and what he does in location Y. What have you gained?
Real simple...
the truck is assigned to the run. If you push this issue on a local level it may turn into simple "black and white" interpretation. And, almost every night you would play musical trucks as every one is pulling their radios out to switch. In the city operation, if your truck is unavailable you should take one off the fence (an un-assigned unit). NO FEEDING FRENZY !!!
As I have stated before... personality and situation are the two ingredients of motivation. A good supervisor or manager SHOULD recognize their responsibility to INFLUENCE the SITUATION in daily operations. MOST seem to ignore this responsibility and only react to negative-ism within their terminal. (gee... where did I read about "whine-haul"?)
Think about it...
most complaints on this thread do not address WHO is most responsible for the actions you are all complaining about!

We have policy and we have procedure, and we have the method in which each service center employees p&p. The "method" is what is being argued here. Policy is newest truck on the longest run... period. It is the service center manager's responsibility to interpret policy and communicate that interpretation to his supervisors. This becomes the method in which your terminal operates. You guys can argue all day long about what you do in location X and what he does in location Y. What have you gained?
Real simple...
the truck is assigned to the run. If you push this issue on a local level it may turn into simple "black and white" interpretation. And, almost every night you would play musical trucks as every one is pulling their radios out to switch. In the city operation, if your truck is unavailable you should take one off the fence (an un-assigned unit). NO FEEDING FRENZY !!!
As I have stated before... personality and situation are the two ingredients of motivation. A good supervisor or manager SHOULD recognize their responsibility to INFLUENCE the SITUATION in daily operations. MOST seem to ignore this responsibility and only react to negative-ism within their terminal. (gee... where did I read about "whine-haul"?)
Think about it...
most complaints on this thread do not address WHO is most responsible for the actions you are all complaining about!

I petty sure its the least amount of miles on the longest run period

this generation of drivers doesn't have a clue of what it takes to be respected in any one of these terminals things operate much smoother when the junior driver gets it!! When the managment treats it as such you will see the old Con-way back on top. Issues are the big pay checks the LH drivers get and well deserved. TM's and supervisors and alike don't like the fact of the $$$$ I hear it from time to time about how much the drivers make from the office personal. So the attitude gets pushed onto the drivers then the domino affect starts and this started about 5 years ago about the time Mr D left

But how would you like it a newbie started taking YOUR truck everyday?

Spoken like a Card-Carrying Member of the "I've Paid My Dues Club."

It's not "YOUR" truck. It's Con-way's, and I guess if I (or anyone) wanted to push the issue, I could jump in any tractor I wanted, anytime I wanted. {As long as my FOS didn't assign a particular unit to me.}

That said, it also is a matter of respect that someone doesn't just jump in any truck they want. We all learn who usually drives what unit, and typically there's never an issue, but the bottom line is: they could drive whatever is available and there's nothing you could do about it.

Oh, and there wouldn't be a circus of pulling radio boxes in/out all the time if the company would put a MF'ing radio in the GD truck in the first place.

We all wear the same color shirts, no matter how long someone has worked here. I treat people like I want to be treated (or they treat me.)

How long a guy has worked here doesn't automatically make him a pr!ck, but from my observations the liklihood increases in direct proportion to the years of service.

I've had 10-15+ year veterans go out of their way to help me and offer advice, and I appreciate it; but at the same time I've seen too many of the Senior Drivers go out of their way to f*ck with with new guys after a new guy (who typically doesn't know any different) has done something the Senior Driver has declared out of line.

These are the guys (and we all know at least one) who have XGO on speed dial, and probably know the receptionist there ona first name basis.

Every little thing that disturbs them, they start chanting their motto, "I'll call GO!" They're a broken record.

Ultimately, I don't answer to anyone else in a blue shirt and I won't be intimidated by someone, no matter long he's worked here. And while it's nice to like people you work with, at the same time I'm not here to make friends. I'm here to make money, and as long as I perform my assigned tasks as instructed I don't care if other drivers don't like the way I do it.

Just as the poor do not like the rich, those of the have nots suffer from jealousy.

This is human nature and is an incessant debate that will out live us all as those with out become those with and the argument continues.......

I chose not to hate the rich nor pity the poor.

I know what you mean,

Last march i had an accident with a set of doubles.... I did a turn at a reship and picked up a truck that was done with the PM... but on my way back an air line broke and i went through the median of the highway..

Many things on the truck we're broke (windshield, mirrors, door, hood, frame, tire/wheel etc)

The truck was somebodys newer (2005 model) assigned unit....

and when i got back and the truck got towed.... many of the LH drivers worried more about the truck than me or anything.....

They said, "you wrecked his truck" and blah blah... I told them it was conways truck....

So like it was said before, NONE of us own these trucks, conway does.

diligaff

on behalf of the old guys welcome to the company. you should know that in life some people are just a-holes. instead of letting certain people bother you with there insecuritys just shine'em off. as far as the seniority thing goes why dont you print your post and read it after your five, ten, fifteen or twenty years of service comes up. you might see how much things change.

Does anyone out there think that this is exactly what G.O. wants? Squabbling amongst ourselves over petty crap keeps our attention off of what really matters. What concerns you most about what's going on with this company?
My biggest concern is (fill in blank here). Is it anything that has to do with this thread. If you go back and read the very first post that started this thread, you might see someone who is not a driver trying to instigate problems between drivers. He starts by saying he respects seniority and then goes through every reason he doesn't. That sounds like a confused white shirt to me. Who is trying to cause problems? What is the solution?

You are correct about instigating turmoil amongst the dsrs on this forum...honestly that wasn't my intention...but as i read their posts I see my point even clearer, and you can't deny it's validity. You drivers, senior or junior, play a huge role in morale and there is a strong need for you seniors to be more tolerant and set good examples for your junior counterparts. what i hear from one or two drivers (99 % seniors) on a daily basis makes me feel anxious, irritable and unhappy when I'm trying to work, and I know it does the same to most present. There's at least one in every barn and when others are exposed to this behavior continuously, we have what is called emotional or social contagions spreading through the entire barn. It's a scientific fact, not my opinion. It's been my experience that management would rather not get involved in your school grade squabbles about tractors and who beat who to the reship, but they are forced to treat you like children, which results in your hard feelings towards them. Yes Con-way is a demanding company, yes there are a few bad supervisors & managers, but considering the supervisor to driver ratio, you drivers have a much larger control over morale. The solution, as i stated above, is for seniors to be more tolerant, to set good examples and stop 'raising' the junior guys to be bullies, stop creating a hostile environment and in doing so you will see a huge change in everyone's (including your supervisor's) attitude. Management is susceptible to emotional contagions too, they are only human.