XPO | Service rank

cozzmo

TB Lurker
Credits
At our service senter we are told service rank is used only for choosing vacations and job selection. Is it the same at your barns?

I remember back when we got to bid on routes with start times. CWX was awsome.

Yup. We used to do this also. We changed to bidding on start times only, some years ago. The explanation was, some guys would get all bent out of shape if their bid route was shut down early and given to a driver who started earlier ( for the sake of getting a route on the road earlier) and they got stuck with a route in a different area.

" No no no, I'm not the pico route guy, I'm the cypress route guy"

"Now you're the 10am guy and you go where we need you"

Last edited:
The new thing that they say now is bid on a start time. We are now told they need the flexibility to use guys. I say it's just a cop out to doing the right thing and managing people who don't want to work.
Been that way for a long time.

A employee should be allowed to bid on certain route at the time the company allows. Which makes it more efficient IMO because a driver is better with dels/put in an area he is familiar with and which company stops receiving or stops shipping etc. Sending a new man just delays the process I think. Freight that comes in late would be put on a wild driver so all can make service.

A employee should be allowed to bid on certain route at the time the company allows. Which makes it more efficient IMO because a driver is better with dels/put in an area he is familiar with and which company stops receiving or stops shipping etc. Sending a new man just delays the process I think. Freight that comes in late would be put on a wild driver so all can make service.
Every driver should know every route. Keeping a guy on one run doesn't make sense. We had a guy who had a heavy run daily. He got it done. He got hurt. Not one other driver who took that run could get all the freight off. We bid start times because the freight is never the same.

Every driver should know every route. Keeping a guy on one run doesn't make sense. We had a guy who had a heavy run daily. He got it done. He got hurt. Not one other driver who took that run could get all the freight off. We bid start times because the freight is never the same.
But majority of city freight have their guaranteed areas where the freight will be delivered. Example out of my area guys bids early city location so he comes in breaks trailers til his trailer is filled with area then leaves at certain cut time. Second man does same thing til his is full then leaves and wild man has 1-5 stops going a little everywhere but a certain direction and helps on clean up on return. Though Holland has city guys who leave yard between 12-2pm with routes if they can deliver they will try it.

I don't think it is possible to expect every driver to be able to preform as well as a regular driver that has developed a relationship with customers and knows who to see, what docks to get, customer lunch times, etc. The driver is the company's face to the customer. A regular driver will be more in tune with the customer expectations.