XPO | Shiny Wheels??

Three railers on the drives and four singles for the trailers that's what's required for Doubles over Donner. You put chains on your steer and chp/ Caltrans will shut you down for stupidity, your just asking for trouble when that chain breaks, and it will, no more hood, no more engine.
Not to mention it'd make handling a real challenge,front end would be hopping all over the place!

Where the hell were you running a chain on the steer.I know people have done that in freezing rain and black ice but i have never had to.Give me singles on the drives and maybe one drag if it is really bad.I have always really wanted one hook on either side,would really save time dragging chains all over the place.

I used to run into a lot of mines and camps in the mountains up north, and they were triples on the drives. Most of the roads were in really high elevation, and a lot of ice in the switchbacks. As for the steer chain, there was never an issue with the chain flying off and doing damage since 90% of the time you were never out of low range. A properly tightened and secured chain on the steer would rarely ever come off anyway, since it had no power to it, and very little braking in comparison to the rest of the unit.

I haven't been up the Alaska highway in well over 15 years, but it was the norm for many of the grades to be fully chained, minus the steer chain, in the winter. Of course, full lockup rear ends weren't as common as they are now either. I considered myself to be a fairly quick chain chucker, but couldn't hold a candle to a lot of the people that ran the same roads as me.

As an example, one of the camps I used to go to on a regular basis was roughly 150 miles one way. Took me 17 hours my first trip in fully loaded, 14 coming out empty. No, hours of service rules did not apply on that job, lol.

Anybody want to venture a guess as to how long it will be before we see a mixture of aluminum and painted steel wheels on those new Cascadias?

Jesus H brother,it was just a comment about Chains and chain boxes.You seem to be the one who wants to make a deal about it..I laughed at your comment calling me a dummy and poked fun back at ya,BUT i see that cant be done with you seeing you have to be so "PROPER" about everything, excuse me and my comments if they are not up to your level of educational experiance....You would be surprised at how many drivers in the mid-west i see carrying chains and have even claimed to chain up..thats why a made the "Stupid"comment...Maybe when i get to your level of seniority i might be able to understand things like this......

The next move for the type of tractor will be automatic transmissions.... People will start to complain they do not know how to shift.

Anybody want to venture a guess as to how long it will be before we see a mixture of aluminum and painted steel wheels on those new Cascadias?

No guess here, but it's a bad idea. I have been witness to a few companies that went the 'cheap way' because they wanted to convert to aluminum from steel, but didn't want to shell out the dough for the longer studs that the aluminum wheels require. The solution? Yep, you guessed it, steel on the inside, aluminum on the outside. Sounds simple enough, the problem is that aluminum wheels flex much more than the steel ones and as a result, countless numbers of broken steel wheels eating up tires, studs, the aluminum rim on the outside and in some cases, even the brake drums.

you have to be so "PROPER" about everything, excuse me and my comments if they are not up to your level of educational experiance....

Hey snowman, you did not spell "experience" correctly. You had better watch yourself before the grammer and punctuation police crawl all up in ya.You know how proper and educated we are here on the Con-way Freight board.

:wtflol::LMAO::bgroovy::hysterical:

No guess here, but it's a bad idea. I have been witness to a few companies that went the 'cheap way' because they wanted to convert to aluminum from steel, but didn't want to shell out the dough for the longer studs that the aluminum wheels require. The solution? Yep, you guessed it, steel on the inside, aluminum on the outside. Sounds simple enough, the problem is that aluminum wheels flex much more than the steel ones and as a result, countless numbers of broken steel wheels eating up tires, studs, the aluminum rim on the outside and in some cases, even the brake drums.

I wonder how many strikes will be issued before they admit to an actual non-preventable equipment failure.

I think this is a bunch of BS! Give me a break! Prove it with evidence.