FedEx Freight | Short Term Disabilty

Freight78753

TB Lurker
Credits
I have been with the company over 5 years, I have a torn meniscus, will be out 4-6 weeks. Anybody can tell me about short disabilty, is it 60% of your pay, I have also heard full pay for up to 6 weeks, is getting it started a hassle? My terminal manager is out of town, so just need some info for now.

Thanks

I have been with the company over 5 years, I have a torn meniscus, will be out 4-6 weeks. Anybody can tell me about short disabilty, is it 60% of your pay, I have also heard full pay for up to 6 weeks, is getting it started a hassle? My terminal manager is out of town, so just need some info for now.

Thanks
It wasn't for me, been on short term twice, and I never got full pay, it wasn't a hassle just told my manager what happened, (once for broken knee cap, once for surgery), this was before merger so not sure now how it works, it should be the same tho. If TM is out there should be someone there that can help you get it started. Don't remember if it's 60%or not, I've slept since then and memory isn't what it used to be.

Also, depends on where you live. California has its own state run program that pays tax free money based on your highest earning quarter out of the last five calendar quarters.
I think it's about 2/3 of your gross, but no taxes or deductions. You will have to make up your health insurance deductions when you return. So, because of that I collected no money from our disability insurance.

I seem to recall having to wait 5 or 6 days to qualify. Then it flows like clockwork. 60%, I think, payed by the insurance company.

Helpful hint: Burn 1 vacation day per week to cover insurance cost. That will save you the disappointment when you return to work, as that will come out of your 1st check, in you don't keep up with it.

Thanks

Disability is 60% of your gross pay and is administered by Aetna. All you have to do is tell someone in management that you will be disabled and they will notify Aetna and then Aetna will send you some forms for you and your doctor to fill out so they can make a determination on your disability. There is no full pay for STD. On your insurance cost. Fedex will bill you monthly, so you'll have to pay your monthly insurance cost each month.

And they won't even review it until your last day of work. I've been on STD 3 times, now on my 4th. Last three times was simple. There's more hassle now.

Can Someone tell ? I didn't think that Short Term Disability counted or Paid for the week-end days. Saturday and Sunday. Is that Correct/ That Saturday and Sunday are not counted or paid days on Short term Disability? Thanks

Can Someone tell ? I didn't think that Short Term Disability counted or Paid for the week-end days. Saturday and Sunday. Is that Correct/ That Saturday and Sunday are not counted or paid days on Short term Disability? Thanks

Short Term Disability pays you 60% of your pay for 5 days a week.

Aetna is terrible , if drivers did our jobs like them at Aetna , FedEx would fire us.
I was told we went to Aetna due to all of the complaints received about Cigna and from what I hear, Aetna isn't any better. When ask why they're wasn't another option, it was explained that the "others" were far worse than these two!! Guess that kinda explains why healthcare in general is in such a mess...and we all no customer service no longer exist!!

Thanks
I'm out on short term disability right now. As a linehaul driver it's 60% of your previous 12 months gross pay. At no time do you get full pay. Atena is a pain in the ass. Not till it came down to rotator cuff surgery did I get short term payments even though they had all the medical info saying I couldn't work. I've been on short term since 1/31 and not back till mid June and Atnea is calling every 2 weeks wanting updates. I send them to doc and physical therapist.

I'm out on short term disability right now. As a linehaul driver it's 60% of your previous 12 months gross pay. At no time do you get full pay. Atena is a pain in the ass. Not till it came down to rotator cuff surgery did I get short term payments even though they had all the medical info saying I couldn't work. I've been on short term since 1/31 and not back till mid June and Atnea is calling every 2 weeks wanting updates. I send them to doc and physical therapist.
Had a cyst the size of a golf ball on one of the boys. Won't bore all y'all with the details of how it went away.
But, the short term disability peeps wanted to know why I was going to be out for four weeks. Because, "It's only a cyst, you should have been back in a week"

I've been on my second round of long term disability. The deal with Atena is they have their own team of doctors (medical team) to review your illness and determine if ther going to cover it or not. Usually when there is any kind of denial with a determination that other treatments can be done before disability. This usually happens when a doctors secretary calls for the STD and treatment. I have found that the best way to go is get the doctor to call Atena and tell them what he wants. I have found that this works 100% of the time. Actually a month ago someone from dr office called for a PET scan for me and it was denied because Atnea determined other treatments could be done. A week later I get a later from Atnea saying my PET scan has been approved. That was because my doctor called and got what he wants. I know it might be a little bit of a hassle to get the doctor to call, but that's the best way. Hope this helps everyone.

Thanks
Unless you worked for Viking freight before 1997 we got 240hours of STD,that when FEDEX bought Viking out we got to keep those 240 hours which when you go on std your first week is covered,there after you are paid 16hours a week on top of the 34houts FEDEX pays until the 240 hours Are gone which I3

weeks of full pay.hope that answers you question

Disability is 60% of your gross pay and is administered by Aetna. All you have to do is tell someone in management that you will be disabled and they will notify Aetna and then Aetna will send you some forms for you and your doctor to fill out so they can make a determination on your disability. There is no full pay for STD. On your insurance cost. Fedex will bill you monthly, so you'll have to pay your monthly insurance cost each month.
With ABF under a CBA my company PAID for my medical while on short term disability, REGARDLESS of why I was disabled. 6 months, then you had to go back to work or lose you weekly payments. With a 3 year call back rights. I was blessed to work under a union contract. It had a lot of little benefits that you never hear about. Fed-Ex is somewhat close to what union contracts offer. If they were not, then a good chance Fed-Ex would be under a CBA nationwide. Regardless of you view on unions, I was lucky to gain a good pension and decent wages & benefits working @ ABF. You can bet the benefits & rules for short term insurance @ ABF came about because of negotiations @ the bargaining table. von.

With ABF under a CBA my company PAID for my medical while on short term disability, REGARDLESS of why I was disabled. 6 months, then you had to go back to work or lose you weekly payments. With a 3 year call back rights. I was blessed to work under a union contract. It had a lot of little benefits that you never hear about. Fed-Ex is somewhat close to what union contracts offer. If they were not, then a good chance Fed-Ex would be under a CBA nationwide. Regardless of you view on unions, I was lucky to gain a good pension and decent wages & benefits working @ ABF. You can bet the benefits & rules for short term insurance @ ABF came about because of negotiations @ the bargaining table. von.

Hourly employees get 60% of gross. Salaried employees get 100%.

Go figure.

Unless you worked for Viking freight before 1997 we got 240hours of STD,that when FEDEX bought Viking out we got to keep those 240 hours which when you go on std your first week is covered,there after you are paid 16hours a week on top of the 34houts FEDEX pays until the 240 hours Are gone which I3

weeks of full pay.hope that answers you question

You sure about those 240 hrs? Figured mine were absorbed and forgotten about. Thankfully I haven't had to use STD for years but a few good friends have and they say nothing about being able to collect on those hours.

It's the small things you listed that get overlooked. Recall rights is a big one. At FedEx and the other nons you pay for insurance while out, and cost of coverage adds up quick.

Also, you're forced to come back to work within six months whether fully healed or not in order to keep your job. I've never experienced it, but I can imagine the stress of being up against the clock while trying to properly heal yourself too.

With an aging workforce I suspect these things will come into play more often forcing individuals to reconsider the rules they work under.

As far as FedEx and CBA's they're notorious at Union busting, e.g. fighting to keep the loophole with Express and exploiting employees keeping them under the Railway Labor act.

Last edited:
You sure about those 240 hrs? Figured mine were absorbed and forgotten about. Thankfully I haven't had to use STD for years but a few good friends have and they say nothing about being able to collect on those hours.

That is long gone. You get 60% of your pay from Atena for 6 months. Then you collect Social Security which is about 50% and Atena pays the other 10% a month. I have did it before and I'm on long term again, so I know pretty much everything that happens on disability.