Should We Worry About Driverless Trucks?

G4eenarrow

TB Lurker
Credits
I am currently set to finish my CDL school.

My dad drives for a living and absolutely loves what he does. I would ideally like to follow in his footsteps and keep the tradition going.

( UPS tractor trailer driver )

However I'm questioning the future of this industry. There are companies like TU simple , waymo , and even volvo developing driverless trucks.

This scares me not only because of my dad's future / retirement but my own future if I actually decide to go through with this. I'm 22 now and am not sure if this industry is going to be around long enough for me to do this.

I have spoken to my dad directly about this and he seems like he isn't worried about it BUT he doesn't really keep up or understand the technology.

So lastly , is this something I should just feel stupid about worrying about?

Don't feel stupid. In some capacity, driverless truckers will take work. Good news. They don't drop and hook on their own. Don't fuel on their own. These vehicles will have an impact. But it will not eliminate the truck driver for a good while. Because. A lot of what truck drivers do is DELIVER the freight. Pallet jack and hand unload. While UPS is almost sure to be an early adopter of this technology. They have both the money to spend and the money to make from it. It will be exclusively in areas where it's suitable. And that will start as a very specific few places and slowly grow over time.

By 2030 we will likely all have " advanced " cruise control. Where the truck holds a lane, at speed, on the freeway. But the last mile is hard to develop. They are coming up with systems where some one will sit in a room tracking a dozen trucks on a screen. And then remotely pilot that vehicle into a dock. Even this doesn't account for dropping and hooking. And is limited by the vehicles range. Since it can't fuel itself. And don't forget that electric is coming. We will certainly have all electric fleets before driverless trucks. And the range limitations associated with electric charging.

It's a complex thought. But good that you are aware of it. You got at least 10 years of what's left of the good life. Probably 20 years when you consider that the economy grows at a faster pace than technology. Even as you see more and more driverless trucks. You will still have a job for those tasks that require a driver to be present.

My two cents ain't worth a plug nickel. So. Whatever. Good luck. BE SAFE

My dad drives for a living and absolutely loves what he does. I would ideally like to follow in his footsteps and keep the tradition going.

However I'm questioning the future of this industry. There are companies like TU simple , waymo , and even volvo developing driverless trucks.

This scares me not only because of my dad's future / retirement but my own future if I actually decide to go through with this. I'm 22 now and am not sure if this industry is going to be around long enough for me to do this.

I have spoken to my dad directly about this and he seems like he isn't worried about it BUT he doesn't really keep up or understand the technology.

You will be retired from UPS before you lose your job to autonomous.

The biggest problem I see in trucking is that wages stay the same.

If I earned 30K in the 80's that very big money. not too long ago you needed like 65K or more to stay ahead of the costs of living. Wages only rose like 15 cents since 2001. Which was 50 to 65 at most cents a mile. If you are involved in live loading, unloading and wait etc you are not making money. In 2001 wife and I took in about 67K for TWO drivers out of a certain number of days run on the logbook that year. That worked out to about 4.50 a hour or Or 34000 each roughly. So we made less in 2001 against what I made in the 80's versus the cost of living and everything. We were able to make money because we were debt free and everything was paid annually with very low costs. For example the water bill to the house 12 months worth was less than 250. if that. Mostly administrative fees.

The USA is fixing or is already inflating the US Dollar. Your income might go to 120K annually with UPS etc but against a million US dollar house to buy you end up renting if you can find a place. And that is in great threat with Covid throwing tens of millions out of their units in addition to whole landlords and so forth losing their buildings because of foreclosures etc. So to be 21 now and entering a work force determined to cut costs or even automate the truck eliminating the human cost of a full time trucker. At some point in that young person's life time.

For us we had a lifetime in trucking, me in particular. Enough was quite enough. My body is a testament to what it cost to run them old trucks and do the work back then. In trucking school at 21 we were told we got about until age 56 give or take if we last that long physically. Well they are installing artificial parts into my body with about 4 surgeries done in the last three years and two to five more pending as more joints fail. The back has been broken in two places and healed without medical care to speak of while the pain was taken care of with whiskey. And right back to work. The resulting damage is very extensive and progressing. (Nerves etc)

As against that today's trucks with airride and so forth should be pretty good. But then again if you cannot idle and maintain 70F cooling or heating from between -60 to about 130 above at any time in the USA, Canada etc then you are going to find it difficult.

Finally but not last.Committing to trucking is to be alone. Yer it. No friends to speak of no family or having babies etc. Its a lifestyle. Many people wanna be truckers at 21. Great. Awesome. When we get to 25, about 20% remain truckers while all the rest need replacing by fresh 21 year olds. Eventually robot trucks will stop all that. Eventually. Its not me that will have to worry about that anymore. Ive had my run.

Oh one more thing. If states talking to leave the Union and form a nation onto themselves (There are a number of bills being introduced with Texas in the lead) you are going to find your trucking interrupted by a number of customs issues as you cross two or three foreign countries coast to coast.

Driverless trucks are just the beginning of your problems.
1- wages, if Biden does in fact win, US wages will take a nosedive just like they did during the Obama years. hence why Wall St loves a Biden Presidency. Biden has promised to open the US Borders to anyone thus offering cheap labor to employers. I cant blame them, The President is handing the low wages to them.
2- technology- look truck driving will change dramatically . Most likely trucks will require a monitor or some type of attendant. But most decisions will be made by software.
3- economy- the economy is changing. Globalization is changing manufacturing, distribution and buying patterns. All you read about today is final mile.

There will always be some type of delivery required, what it will look like will change dramatically.

1- wages, if Biden does in fact win, US wages will take a nosedive just like they did during the Obama years. hence why Wall St loves a Biden Presidency. Biden has promised to open the US Borders to anyone thus offering cheap labor to employers. I cant blame them, The President is handing the low wages to them.
But we are told over and over that Working Man Joe is for the working man, the blue collar worker...Tell me it isn't so...

Well Mexico can send a driver into America at .20 a mile and haul our own domestic freight. The US Driver will be priced out and the companies fail to exist anymore. And that would be that.

The brokers will love to hire out mexican carriers on 3.00 mile freight at 40 cents or whatever. Forget the canadian or American driver. Too expensive.

If the Mexican driver wants a siesta for a day? Well the store will not get their freight either. Not for a while.

Go to a good trade school. Learn a good trade. Put your shoulder to the grind stone and become the absolute best at whatever you pick out. Welding, plumbing, electrician, you name. You BE it. Stay home and watch your kids grow up. My two cents ain't worth a plugged nickle, even though I've been called Nickle for the past 50 years.

Go to a good trade school. Learn a good trade. Put your shoulder to the grind stone and become the absolute best at whatever you pick out. Welding, plumbing, electrician, you name. You BE it. Stay home and watch your kids grow up. My two cents ain't worth a plugged nickle, even though I've been called Nickle for the past 50 years.
the home trades fer sure. plumbing, electrical, will pay a whole lot more.

bricklayers/chimney work as well.

i wish i could do it all over again, and certainly would have chosen to either stay as a mechanic, then move up to management, or gotten into a home trade.

the home trades fer sure. plumbing, electrical, will pay a whole lot more.

bricklayers/chimney work as well.

i wish i could do it all over again, and certainly would have chosen to either stay as a mechanic, then move up to management, or gotten into a home trade.
Coop is looking for good mechanics, who can weld mirror brackets, and fix trailer roofs. $35 an hour.

I've heard the shop foreman is a real bastard to work for.
But dresses colorfully.....
BTOm43J.jpg

When I began my Trucking "career" (late '98), there were NO AUTOSHIFT TRUCKS apart from Switcher Trucks.
If there were any "automatic trucks" running the roads in '98, I was unaware as the C.B. Chatter wasn't offering such info.

We drove reverse 9 and standard 10, 13, 15, 18, 21 speed MANUAL SHIFT trucks. There were folks, like maybe your Pa, that drove twin stick Mack in the 60's, 70's (80's?). :tr10driving03:
Peterbilts, K-Whoppers (Kenworth), (White) Freightliner (Freightshakers), Cornbinders, Ford and some other models.

WE had NO CAMERAS looking at us. We had NO electronic anything other than the gauges and dials on the instrument panels and C.B.'s.
WE had NO stupid alarms and flashing lights other than the normal things the manufacturers installed at their factories.
WE had to "Phone Home" from Phone Banks at Truck Stops and Restaurants.
WE actually had banter with other Drivers, unlike a bit before and since this CoVID19 disaster.
WE had NO ONE telling us "You cannot talk on your phone, even with a headset, while driving, You cannot eat or drink beverages while driving, You have to take a 30 minute break after 8 hours driving".
WE drove for 10 hours and TOOK BREAKS WHEN WE DAMN WELL FELT LIKE IT, took 8 hours off, went back to it. NO ONE "Regulating Our Time".
WE had no "Diesel Exhaust Fluids".
WE had NO ONE parked up on ANY fuel island for 30-60+ minutes (taking a break or shower), unless broken down.
WE had much more Happiness, Laughter, Jokes and the C.B was lit up 24/7 and one could always find someone for directions or assistance.
WE had Shower Tickets and Showers at MOST cost about $5.00 w/o a Ticket (at flying j, peelot, t/a, petro, loves). We usually had more Shower Tickets from Fueling adventures than we could ever possibly use before they expired, so passing them out wasn't a big deal. What's a shower cost now, about $15.00? Of course with Company Fuel Cards, Cost is irrelevant.

When I began, TRUCKING WAS FUN!!!
I got Off The Road IN EARLY '17.
I quit Driving Local in March '20.
MY CDL-A will be a Class C in March in '21.

It's been A GOOD RIDE!!
I ain't gonna miss it, not with all the restrictions and dang fangled crap alarms, snooping Cameras, pointless "requirements" just to do a days' job.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Like Others here have Stated:
DO SOMETHING ELSE!!
Learn to be:
a Chef,
Motorcycle Mechanic,
Guitar Hero,
Drum Major,
something that USES YOUR BRAIN not your brawn.
IF YOU DO NOT LIKE (or LOVE) YOUR FRIENDS AND ACTIVITIES WITH THEM, then go "drive" a Truck!!

Whatever You Decide, BE TRUE TO THYSELF!!
CHEERS!!:wavey:

When I began my Trucking "career" (late '98), there were NO AUTOSHIFT TRUCKS apart from Switcher Trucks.
If there were any "automatic trucks" running the roads in '98, I was unaware as the C.B. Chatter wasn't offering such info.

We drove reverse 9 and standard 10, 13, 15, 18, 21 speed MANUAL SHIFT trucks. There were folks, like maybe your Pa, that drove twin stick Mack in the 60's, 70's (80's?). :tr10driving03:
Peterbilts, K-Whoppers (Kenworth), (White) Freightliner (Freightshakers), Cornbinders, Ford and some other models.

WE had NO CAMERAS looking at us. We had NO electronic anything other than the gauges and dials on the instrument panels and C.B.'s.
WE had NO stupid alarms and flashing lights other than the normal things the manufacturers installed at their factories.
WE actually had banter with other Drivers, unlike a bit before and since this CoVID19 disaster.
WE had NO ONE telling us "You cannot talk on your phone, even with a headset, while driving, You cannot eat or drink beverages while driving, You have to take a 30 minute break after 8 hours driving".
WE drove for 10 hours and TOOK BREAKS WHEN WE DAMN WELL FELT LIKE IT, took 8 hours off, went back to it. NO ONE "Regulating Our Time".
WE had NO ONE parked up on ANY fuel island for 30-60+ minutes (taking a break or shower), unless broken down.
WE had much more Happiness, Laughter, Jokes and the C.B was lit up 24/7 and one could always find someone for directions or assistance.
WE had Shower Tickets and Showers at MOST cost about $5.00 w/o a Ticket (at flying j, peelot, t/a, petro, loves). We usually had more Shower Tickets from Fueling adventures than we could ever possibly use before they expired, so passing them out wasn't a big deal. What's a shower cost now, about $15.00? Of course with Company Fuel Cards, Cost is irrelevant.

It's been A GOOD RIDE!!
I ain't gonna miss it, not with all the restrictions and dang fangled crap alarms, snooping Cameras, pointless "requirements" just to do a days' job.
DO SOMETHING ELSE!!
Learn to be:
a Chef,
Motorcycle Mechanic,
Guitar Hero,
Drum Major,
IF YOU DO NOT LIKE (or LOVE) YOUR FRIENDS AND ACTIVITIES WITH THEM, then go "drive" a Truck!!

:smiliewhs::guiness:

This administration will expedite the transition to autonomy. Period.

I’m closer in age to your Dad, but have followed and loved technology. They are about to throw infinite money at the advancement of these systems.

I, for one, enjoy DRIVING! Not fueling, cranking gear, or manning a pallet jack. I’m paid well for the miles that I safely run. When they get the program right, I’ll go willing and quietly onto the hiking trail.

Please keep in mind, all the controlling forces in this industry and the government want you to be AUTOMATED!

Make all the money you can, while keeping an eye on the EXIT.

Best of luck to you and your Dad!

It's been A GOOD RIDE!!
DO SOMETHING ELSE!!
Learn to be:
a Chef,
Motorcycle Mechanic,
Guitar Hero,
Drum Major,

You may need to go back in time a little, we had a fleet of DF 860 GMCs with 671 Detroits and 8 spd hydramatic transmissions in 1955.
Thru the years they tested Allison autos in 9000 Whites and U model Macks also a few in Brigadiers.

This administration will expedite the transition to autonomy. Period.

I’m closer in age to your Dad, but have followed and loved technology. They are about to throw infinite money at the advancement of these systems.

I, for one, enjoy DRIVING! Not fueling, cranking gear, or manning a pallet jack. I’m paid well for the miles that I safely run. When they get the program right, I’ll go willing and quietly onto the hiking trail.

Please keep in mind, all the controlling forces in this industry and the government want you to be AUTOMATED!

Make all the money you can, while keeping an eye on the EXIT.

Best of luck to you and your Dad!
I, respectively, disagree. I run linehaul at, perhaps, the most tech happy company. My tractor was in the shop for couple weeks so I’ve been in (same year & model). With cruise only 68(mph). Based on what I have experienced with following distance control, lane deviation, etc, 2050 will be too early for full automation. I’ve previously mentioned the problem of programmers not exceeding the speed limit. My second concern now is, how often will the systems be calibrated? I would expect a sensor pre trip should be required, not likely. Automation is a disaster waiting to happen.

I, respectively, disagree. I run linehaul at, perhaps, the most tech happy company. My tractor was in the shop for couple weeks so I’ve been in (same year & model). With cruise only 68(mph). Based on what I have experienced with following distance control, lane deviation, etc, 2050 will be too early for full automation. I’ve previously mentioned the problem of programmers not exceeding the speed limit. My second concern now is, how often will the systems be calibrated? I would expect a sensor pre trip should be required, not likely. Automation is a disaster waiting to happen.
The rollout has definitely hit some speed bumps, namely - the prior administration. I’ve driven cars with lane holding capabilities, a 2021 Volvo and a 2020 Hyundai - they both sucked! Even so, I believe autonomous driving is about to get fast tracked by Mayor Pete and is integral to the post pandemic strategy of world leaders. We’ll just see what they’re actually capable of! (With a fresh infusion of cash)

Last edited:
The rollout has definitely hit some speed bumps, namely - the prior administration. I’ve driven cars with lane holding capabilities, a 2021 Volvo and a 2020 Hyundai - they both sucked! Even so, I believe autonomous driving is about to get fast tracked by Mayor Pete and is integral to the post pandemic strategy of world leaders. We’ll just see what they’re actually capable of! (With a fresh infusion of cash)

It's going to take them several years to get the 4 wheels automated. 5 maybe 10 years. Musk has been saying this is the year for the last 5 years. And his stuff is the best going. And then they gotta get them sold out into the public. Teslas ain't cheap. And without constant maintenance/calibration. The computer driven will be just as dangerous as a person in a beat up old Honda Civic. And wait until the knock off brands start coming out.

Then you gotta get to where you are sending big trucks. How long until they draft legislation to allow hazmat loads leave unpiloted ? Pull doubles and trips ? And even after you clear those hurdles. The tractor can't perform a drop and hook on it's own. Or drag a dresser, tool box or car hood up someone's drive way. P&D will still need a human with a pallet jack and a dolly. Same as package car needs the person to get out and walk that thing to the door. Sure it might drive itself. But that's the only part off the job it can do.

Trains still have an operator. The entire system is literally on rails. There is no steering. At all. All these years later. Still a human piloting that train.