Should We Worry About Driverless Trucks?

The way those people thank it might go down. You have to remember everyone believes the driver is the problem causing all the accidents. If anything good comes out of autonomous trucks maybe it will show it’s not always the drivers fault.

Just like the cameras. A lot of people hate them. I want more. The ones we have are inadequate. I know they have shown some drivers in the wrong. But. Every time they bring me in to watch a video, I am just sitting there bored and holding the wheel. It's great to be able to say. Look, it wasn't me.

I doubt trucks will ever be completely autonomous. The current safety devices are brought to their knees by a simple wet snow. How will an autonomous truck react when it can’t see or react to the traffic it shares the road with?

add to that the litigation happy society we live in, no company will want to risk being the first company out of business, after a major malfunction. Insurance companies run the industry.

I doubt trucks will ever be completely autonomous. The current safety devices are brought to their knees by a simple wet snow. How will an autonomous truck react when it can’t see or react to the traffic it shares the road with?

add to that the litigation happy society we live in, no company will want to risk being the first company out of business, after a major malfunction. Insurance companies run the industry.
I think your right there will always need to be a steering wheel holder in the truck. As for a actual truck drivers they won’t want us unless we are willing to work for .30 cents a mile. I also believe it’s closer than we all thank probably 10-15 years out.

It would be sad if even one truck got trapped in the pending 6 foot snow storm forecasted from tonight through Monday sunrise in the Denver-Cheyenne-Odgen area. Raton Pass included.

Weather maps start at one foot and go up vertically from there.

I think your right there will always need to be a steering wheel holder in the truck. As for a actual truck drivers they won’t want us unless we are willing to work for .30 cents a mile. I also believe it’s closer than we all thank probably 10-15 years out.

The average truck driver here at XPO LTL is 57 years old. 10-15 years from now, no one will care.

I am currently set to finish my CDL school.

My dad drives for a living and absolutely loves what he does. I would ideally like to follow in his footsteps and keep the tradition going.

( UPS tractor trailer driver )

However I'm questioning the future of this industry. There are companies like TU simple , waymo , and even volvo developing driverless trucks.

This scares me not only because of my dad's future / retirement but my own future if I actually decide to go through with this. I'm 22 now and am not sure if this industry is going to be around long enough for me to do this.

I have spoken to my dad directly about this and he seems like he isn't worried about it BUT he doesn't really keep up or understand the technology.

So lastly , is this something I should just feel stupid about worrying about?

I'm sure cashiers were told that self checkouts wouldn't replace anyone back when they first came out and now they're everywhere.

I'm sure cashiers were told that self checkouts wouldn't replace anyone back when they first came out and now they're everywhere.

The union fought for a little while. But it was customer demand that drove this change. People didn't like dealing with the cashier. To many scanning errors. The stuff didn't get bagged correctly. And nearly everyone has had a entry level job operating a computer based register. If you worked at a gas station, McDonalds or whatever. Customers felt more competent and capable than the cashiers.