ODFL | Six Day Weeks ?

jr29

TB Lurker
Credits
I've never been an OD employee but I'm thinking about making a move to OD linehaul. I have heard in the past that six day work weeks are sometime required. Any truth to that ?

I've never been an OD employee but I'm thinking about making a move to OD linehaul. I have heard in the past that six day work weeks are sometime required. Any truth to that ?
I'm out of the Indy terminal and we've never been required to run on our 6th day. They post memos when they need volunteers but that as far as it goes.

Here in the Northwest, it’s 5 day’s. Sometimes the extra board will run a 6th day if the hours are available. Also, like previously said if you volunteer to run a 6th, that’s up to you. But we’re not forced.

If you have the hours you can volunteer to work six days. Just have to be sure you have enough time for reset.
If you start here as linehaul. Then your what’s known as a wild driver. You’ll work whenever they need you. When you get a bid run their 5 day work week. At least at my terminal. I’ve been here since 2011. Never been forced to work six days.

If you start here as linehaul. Then your what’s known as a wild driver. You’ll work whenever they need you. When you get a bid run their 5 day work week. At least at my terminal. I’ve been here since 2011. Never been forced to work six days.
In Indianapolis we bid our extra board like a scheduled run and it's a 5 day work week with no forced 6th day.

We only have 1 schedule that bags out. He runs where ever he is needed. It's a Sunday morning start so he's back Thursday night/Friday morning if he chooses to be. Our extra-board will rarely bag out. You can occasionally but they don't like paying for the hotels.
We have plenty of laydown runs, 6 day mandatory and our extraboard stays out all week at Estes. Crazy how 2 companies are practically the same but yet so different

We have plenty of laydown runs, 6 day mandatory and our extraboard stays out all week at Estes. Crazy how 2 companies are practically the same but yet so different

I had a 570 mile laydown run at Roadway, they wanted 3 rounds a week, I just burned hours and turned it into a 3 rounds one week, 2 the next. Life is too short to run 6 days a week.

We ran all meets when the covid scare was new... for almost a year. Everyone proved that it worked and they ran great. At the last bid they forced everyone who had a laydown run to lay down again. Makes no sense. Tractors tied up at the hotel and then hotel costs too. Seems like if a run can meet then it should meet.

I had a 570 mile laydown run at Roadway, they wanted 3 rounds a week, I just burned hours and turned it into a 3 rounds one week, 2 the next. Life is too short to run 6 days a week.
That's the way our runs are. They call them 3 and 2. Alternate each week with another driver to keep from burning yourself out I guess

PIE ran theirs 3, if you didn't want to run, it was no problem to mark off.
C F ran 3 and 2.
I ran my 391 3 and 2 most times.

Last edited:
We ran all meets when the covid scare was new... for almost a year. Everyone proved that it worked and they ran great. At the last bid they forced everyone who had a laydown run to lay down again. Makes no sense. Tractors tied up at the hotel and then hotel costs too. Seems like if a run can meet then it should meet.
Some of our guys want to run a laydown. Some terminals don't produce enough freight on the opposite end to schedule another meet. Our 3 and 2 guys during the plandemic didn't run on the days they were scheduled out of town. They they ran to a terminal 3 days one week and 2 the next. Only for a couple of weeks then they were the 1st to go back to the normal schedule.

Out of Raleigh we had a Columbus meat. Columbus driver dicked around so bad on a regular basis, the eliminated Columbus out of the entire equation and gave us 2-3/2 Columbus lay downs from Raleigh, 2 of us Raleigh guys run opposite of each other. Freight gets back 2-4 hours earlier on a daily basis like this. That’s just a small example out of the broad spectrum of things, maybe the $40 for a hotel stay is worth not holding tons of freight up extra unnecessarily. I do see where holding tractors up at the hotel is now becoming a problem as there is a tight squeeze for equipment these days.