FedEx Freight | Smoking in Company Trks

On the flip side

A White House statement supporting the bill, which awaits action in the Senate, echoed the argument by contending that tobacco use "accounts for over a $100 billion annually in financial costs to the economy."
However, smokers die some 10 years earlier than nonsmokers, according to the CDC, and those premature deaths provide a savings to Medicare, Social Security, private pensions and other programs.
Vanderbilt University economist Kip Viscusi studied the net costs of smoking-related spending and savings and found that for every pack of cigarettes smoked, the country reaps a net cost savings of 32 cents.
"It looks unpleasant or ghoulish to look at the cost savings as well as the cost increases and it's not a good thing that smoking kills people," Viscusi said in an interview. "But if you're going to follow this health-cost train all the way, you have to take into account all the effects, not just the ones you like in terms of getting your bill passed."
How Much Does Smoking Cost Society?

So smokers cost more but for a shorter time due to shortened life span, overall actually saving money...

FM

without videographic proof i defy anyone to prove i was smoking or not .if i was accused of smoking (or anything else the burden of proof falls on the accuser.i am tired of the crap over smoking.the smokers i know tend to be the hardest working,most sociable people.smoking contributes billins of additional tax dollars to our economies both local and federal.and pays for things that both smokers and nonsmokers have access to.when smoking is outlawed just remember those billions of dollars you will be paying extra mr and mrs nonsmokers.because the fed will not just do without that money.i know nonsmokers that go around smelling like the south end of a north bound skunk,but i guess theres nothing in hte memo about that.or the ones whose teeth are green and breath smells like rotten tuna

Damn it boy now that S T is funnay:biglaugh:

All you have to do.Turn on the cruise control stand on the fuel tank or running board while smoking.Your not in the company vehicle then.

I would check some numbers on that before making that statement. How much does it cost to keep a healthy person alive vs the cost of giving someone with health issues that are all contributed to smoking treatment for their disease?
If you go back and reread the quoted paragraph you would see that it's not my statement but theirs, so go tell them to get their facts straight!! LOL

FM

Well, until they do away with the FILTHY, Disgusting habit of chewing tobacco and spitting in garbage cans, urinals, sinks, water fountains, cups, cans, the floor and anywhere else, THIS DRIVER WILL continue to smoke where I please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And these SPITTERS include some Sups and Managers. Are you READING CORPORATE KNOW_IT_ALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, until they do away with the FILTHY, Disgusting habit of chewing tobacco and spitting in garbage cans, urinals, sinks, water fountains, cups, cans, the floor and anywhere else, THIS DRIVER WILL continue to smoke where I please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And these SPITTERS include some Sups and Managers. Are you READING CORPORATE KNOW_IT_ALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have a good point there.Ever where you look Big Signs.NO SMOKING.But I have never seen one saying NO CHEWING OR DIPPING. O yes Second hand smoke kills. I smoke and chew till indigestion sets in

my 2 cents, I am alergic to cig smoke and thankful that no one else drives my trk, but on occasion whenit has been driven by a smoker in the past, it has been left filthy with cigs in the ashtray, ashes all over the dash and floor, and the aweful smell of cig smoke in the trk. I support someones freedom to smoke, but they should clean up after themselves, empty the ashtray, wipe off the ashes and spray with deodorizer, I drive a new Volvo in the city, it is not shared at present time with linehaul-I realize that may change based on need, but right now it is pleasant not to have to climb into a truck that was smoked in. In mid Sept a linehaul driver did drive it and left it in the above mentioned mess, I went to linehaul supervisor and it was taken care of. Most smokers dont realize that some of us get very sick by the smell of cig smoke and I as one should not have to suffer because SOME(not all) smokers can not clean up after themselves. To those who do, much apprieciated and thank you. my 2 cents worth.

my 2 cents, I am alergic to cig smoke and thankful that no one else drives my trk, but on occasion whenit has been driven by a smoker in the past, it has been left filthy with cigs in the ashtray, ashes all over the dash and floor, and the aweful smell of cig smoke in the trk. I support someones freedom to smoke, but they should clean up after themselves, empty the ashtray, wipe off the ashes and spray with deodorizer, I drive a new Volvo in the city, it is not shared at present time with linehaul-I realize that may change based on need, but right now it is pleasant not to have to climb into a truck that was smoked in. In mid Sept a linehaul driver did drive it and left it in the above mentioned mess, I went to linehaul supervisor and it was taken care of. Most smokers dont realize that some of us get very sick by the smell of cig smoke and I as one should not have to suffer because SOME(not all) smokers can not clean up after themselves. To those who do, much apprieciated and thank you. my 2 cents worth.
Wow, your line manager took care of it, wish the city manager in STL (Freight) would do the same. There I go dreaming again...
FM

Ya need to add in the cost of purchasing cigs at about $7.25 per pack in WI. At a pack a day that would add $2,646.25 per year.......ouch.

Add that to the $7.18 per pack from that article. $14.43 or $5266.95 per year

Good point but if everybody quits smoking then the non smokers will have to pay more taxes.

I don't want smokers to quit, smoke 'till you're dead. Just don't do it where I have to smell the fumes.

I smoke and now trying to quit but when I was trading off with a non smoker who took the trk at night I would not smoke in it for about a hour before I got into town spray it down with fabrez I letf no ashes in the trk. The cost of smoking is only the smokers problem. Some aren't but some of you non smokers on here that are crying about the smokers are the same ones that better be thankfull that fedex hasn't gone to the bmi oh yeah the body mass index to wether you can keep your over weight butts working here. watch out your next on the hit list for fedex:nutkick::TR10driving03:

I have to agree with Midnight Rider, I don't smoke, I don't care for the smell of a smoked in truck, but I'll tollerate it because he is correct and I'm over weight. I could well be next on the list, not only from Fedex, but from the Government.