snow on trl roof

Black Dot

TB Lurker
Credits
In Pa they have a dumb law that all trl roof must be clean off or face a $1000 fine.Here is the problem when go for a drop trl there maybe snow on on the roof who responsible for cleaning off the or snow or should leave it & refuse to drive it. The company says they will pay the fine I don't trust them they don't even pay there bills.What happen if ice comes down & hurts someone or kills them will the company take the blame. I am looking for some feedback on this problem . I personally won't drive the trl .

This is an ongoing problem that NEMF refuses to address, I agree with refusing to pull the trailer, I also refuse to walk between trailers where snow and ice is over a few inches!!!

This is an ongoing problem that NEMF refuses to address, I agree with refusing to pull the trailer, I also refuse to walk between trailers where snow and ice is over a few inches!!!

So you refuse to walk between the trailers when snow/ice is over a couple inches? So how do you intend to hook up. This is just one of the hazards of the job. The snow on the roofs is a concern and I really think it is a ridiculous law that the lawmakers have not come up without a reasonable solution. This also is a hazard of the climate and region.

At the terminal 2-3 days after any size snowstorm, there is NO way there should be snow between the trailers!!!! EVERY terminal has a yardhorse and someone who knows how to use it. I understand the day "of" the storm but c'mon already. We are a Northeast carrier and the Northeast has the potential to get an abundance of snow!!! There are policies for everything else, come up with a plan for snow!!!!

Not every terminal has a yard horse.

We should have a snow removal system at every terminal, but don't. And like Bring It In said, even if we did what are you supposed to do about a trailer that is at a customer? This whole thing isn't an NEMF issue, but an industry issue.

Also, I don't think PA enforces the snow on roof law that much. I was behind a YRC truck for a while on the PA turnpike one night last week and he was causing a white out with all the snow on his roof. A state cop went by us and never even slowed down as he went thru the YRC white out.

The biggest issue I'm aware of is if you're going into Ohio on the turnpike, make sure there isn't a lot of snow on the roof. If you're over 14 foot, you're not gettin on.

If the terminal does not have a yardhorse any tractor will move the trailers. I'm sorry for being so adamant about this, but the non-snow removal policy at NEMF caused an injury that I will have forever!! Yes it is an industry problem and needs to be corredted somehow!!

There is a snow removal device in Harrisburg. Just drive under it and lower it down and it removes the snow.

The problem lies with local cops who have nothing else to do bust truck drivers ball! Most state cops look the other way but the local ones like to write the BIG MONEY TICKET so they look good. I am mostly concern with drop trls at warehouse where they have no way of cleaning the snow off. Who PAYS THE TICKET? Some drivers will drive the trl because they want to look like hero for the company while making look a like a-hole because you won't. We must come to some kind of understanding about this problem.

{WORK LIKE A POOR MAN TO LVE LIKE RICH MAN}

This year is the exception to the rule, but, there is usually a lot more snow to the northern region than down south, that's why I always wondered why there are the snow removal systems at all the PA and NJ terminals and not the upstate ones?

Bring in your snow shovel and give it to Uncle Sal,I would bet he would go right out and shovel for you...

At some terminals they have portable steps that they usually use to fix trailer lights and such. At said terminals they have placed these steps outside with a shovel so you can climb up and get on the roof of the trailer to shovel off the snow. My personal oppinion is I'll be damned if i get on the roof of a trailer that is covered with snow and ice and risk falling off. I gladly use the snow removal arches they have provided at some of the terminals. If the terminal is in a region where it snows in the winter then they should have the approiate equipment provided to us to safetly complete our job duties, period. No excuses!

Worker: I was on top of a trailer removing snow and ice and slipped and fell off and hurt my....., broke my....., or died.

Copmany: why we're you on top of a trailer? You're not a mechanic, you're not suposed to be up there, it's not our problem you're on your own.

Worker: this is what the working end of my fist looks like. :ranting:

"Apostolic" said:
Who picks up the hospital & doctor bills when you slip,& fall off the roof?

Workers comp I'd guess.

The few times i've had to get snow of the roof I used the portable stairs, but no way am I gettin on the roof. Get what I can on one side, then go up on the other side to get the rest. Down side is when ya do it this way you have to pull the snow toward you, but the upside is your not standing on smooth sheet of aluminium covered in slippery snow.

O.K what would you do IF you have no ladder or no way to clean the roof off. WOULD DRIVE THE TRL OR RISK GETTING A BIG FINE? Every barn has a way to clean the trl roof but not every customer has a way to clean the roof. That the question would you drive a trl with 2-5 inches on it or would you refuse?