TForce | so you want to give up $83,000

You must be at one of the few who hasn't had its hours cut. We have full timers sitting at least one day every week. Due to over staffing to cut OT. If it is happening here it will reach you soon. The management are being forced to cut OT.

We have more people than frt. You don't want to be in the break room when someone farts. You will die of exhaustion trying to make your way through the crowd. As a matter of fact, 8 hours is becoming a thing of the past too!!!

Chances are 401 plans will not end. Company's get huge tax breaks by offering 401 plans. They do not get tax breaks offering company paid pensions. This is why you see company's stop offering a pension (unless it is protected by contract) and offering more in 401 plans. We just got offered the roth, on top of the 401k. Hmmm, I wonder what we will lose next?

Over 20 years, delay pay gained will be double that. $8000 a year for twenty years Around $160K. 20 years is a long time, how do you know they won't take the match away between now and then.

I know that the same way you know your gonna get delayed very night.

First off, you can roll that UPS stock anytime you want.

Secondly, doing some simple math, assuming that a driver gets screwed on two hours of pay each day, which happens to more people than you think, probably more than who actually contribute to their 401k, we're talking about 10 hours per week, or $215. Multiply that by 52 weeks and we're talking about $11,180 per year. And if it's just a half hour per day, that amounts to $2795 per year. Also more than the 401k match. So extrapolate that out to a 20 year career and by investing that 11,180 into your own fund, without a company match, and you'll have over $400,000 at retirement, assuming just 4% growth. At 8%, that number climbs to to well over $600,000. And this from just investing the delay pay that you have been getting screwed out of for years.

And obviously, you can throw that extra half hour pay into your account as well and come out as well as you would if you were getting the company match.

Don't be so short sighted by discounting the improvements compared to the one thing you're losing.

So your counting on being delayed?

You have to agree that if Ups is made to pay delay time, then they will do everything possible to cut out the delay.

Why would they pay us delay pay at over $22 per hour when they could hire two dockworkers for the same price which would cut overtime out for the dock also.

The delays are going to end you can't count on that as pay.

Overnite,
Seriously, why do you think that UPSF is going to continue matching anyone's 401K? It's fairly obvious that the match is going to be gone soon. If you're figures were projecting future matching by the Company you haven't lost anything. You can't really lose what you don't yet have.

Why do you keep saying that the mach would go away anyway?

Do you have any facts to back this up or are you just posting random comments?

hell you can take part of the money you get for all time paid and your wages and buy stock straight up, you'll be better off, then put the other money you have laying around in the ups 401k, i'm thinking you will do pretty damn good over 20 years.

how will you be better off?
We can buy UPS stock at a discounted price.

Our 401k has an option where you can purchase individual stocks.

That all sounds great but when the market corrects itself and it will just like in the 90's and you loose $80k you tend not trust 401k's.

so your saying that we shouldn't have a 401k becuase there risky? And you could lose money over a very short time?

The stock market goes up and down constantly but if you look over it's entire history it always rebounds and goes higher.

You must be at one of the few who hasn't had its hours cut. We have full timers sitting at least one day every week. Due to over staffing to cut OT. If it is happening here it will reach you soon. The management are being forced to cut OT.

We are in full hiring mode. In the past 3 months they have hired 14 additional city drivers. There is too much freight to handle. No one is sitting and everyone is getting between 50-60 hrs a week

We are in full hiring mode. In the past 3 months they have hired 14 additional city drivers. There is too much freight to handle. No one is sitting and everyone is getting between 50-60 hrs a week
Not for long. We thought that this cut in ot was a phase, but now it is the rule. Your tm will soon be gone if he doesn't control his ot.

The writting is on the wall. We started that process months ago. Same exact thing. Now that we are fully staffed the game plan has been put into play. Guess what? No more OT!!! And worst of all, with freight at its lowest levels since UPS took over, all these drivers and dockworkers that were promised the world will be layed off. I hope they have plan B, cause plan A is about played out!!!

Why do you keep saying that the mach would go away anyway?

Do you have any facts to back this up or are you just posting random comments?
Why would UPS negotiate the 401K match out of the Teamsters Contract but continue to give it to the others? My opinion only but I get the feeling that some of you guys trust UPS way too much. They can stop the match anytime they want to. The handwriting was on the wall when they wouldn't put it in the Contract.

UPS is not going to put the 401K in any contract, especailly a match. When the contracts are signed the match will be a chip in the game and when you gain more wage hourly or more delay pay or whatever this will be bargained away. This is how collective bargaining works. Everyone needs to decide what is most important to them and go with it. I say vote in the teamsters now and put your money in a Roth IRA.

Those aren't the facts. This is coming from the teamster website, I know the facts because I am an employee of UPS Freight.

What the heck are you talking about???

The original poster was stating facts about the contract based off of the contract highlights on the IBT website. What does being a employee of UPS Freight have to do with it?

So your counting on being delayed?

You have to agree that if Ups is made to pay delay time, then they will do everything possible to cut out the delay.

Why would they pay us delay pay at over $22 per hour when they could hire two dockworkers for the same price which would cut overtime out for the dock also.

The delays are going to end you can't count on that as pay.

Delays are unavoidable in this business. So yes, I'm counting on it. And on the days where there are none, then I'll be happy to get home early. But I'll still come out ahead when you factor the pay raises and the time that I'm actually getting paid for that I otherwise wouldn't.

Well thinking the 401 match will stay with us as well as the pention is also speculation isn't it?

no, when you think somthing is always gonna be taken away from you that is called paranoia I never said it won't be taken away I said you can't go around telling people it will be taken away without somekind or proof or evidence.

Delays are unavoidable in this business. So yes, I'm counting on it. And on the days where there are none, then I'll be happy to get home early. But I'll still come out ahead when you factor the pay raises and the time that I'm actually getting paid for that I otherwise wouldn't.
Time paid, that is the real deal. If someone wants to give the company free time ,then do not join the union.