FedEx Freight | Starting FedEx road driver pay/benefits

No crying here, just want the real deal if I am offered a position. I still don't understand the whole working the dock thing. I think everyone should work a truly ridiculous trucking job before moving to ltl. Any ltl company. What I mean by ridiculous? :shit:ty CSA ratings that get your company dot'd every time you go thru a scalehouse. Sketchy equipment. The inability to make any real money without running illegal. School of hard knocks will help get minds right, believe you me.

Some years back it was different than it is today. Then you hired on as a dockworker, or a city driver, or a road driver. Today, they have pretty much done away with just being a truck driver. Everybody does it all now. dock workers had to get a CDL. They don't hire truck drivers anymore. If you have a lot of years in, and you're at a big center, if they have day runs, those drivers are strictly truck drivers. Small (EOL) end of line centers strictly go to a hub and bring back freight for there city operation. They don't get any thru freight, therefore, no day runs. If you hire on as a road driver now, you will come in, hook a set, and drive to a hub and do the work that dock workers used to do. A road driver hiring on today is a dock worker with a CDL. I guess it's not bad if you don't mind working nights and driving a forklift. Some centers in big city's drive 30 or 40 miles to a hub and do dock work for 6 or 7 hours and then drive 30 or 40 miles back to there center. If you want to be a "truck driver", this is probably not what you're looking for?

ALL drivers are to be dock qualified. Aint no big thing, you work the dock you drive you get paid. Know the red shirts at that terminal well, good people. do your job and you'll do well. Best of luck to you.

rodedawg said:
Some years back it was different than it is today. Then you hired on as a dockworker, or a city driver, or a road driver. Today, they have pretty much done away with just being a truck driver. Everybody does it all now. dock workers had to get a CDL. They don't hire truck drivers anymore. If you have a lot of years in, and you're at a big center, if they have day runs, those drivers are strictly truck drivers. Small (EOL) end of line centers strictly go to a hub and bring back freight for there city operation. They don't get any thru freight, therefore, no day runs. If you hire on as a road driver now, you will come in, hook a set, and drive to a hub and do the work that dock workers used to do. A road driver hiring on today is a dock worker with a CDL. I guess it's not bad if you don't mind working nights and driving a forklift. Some centers in big city's drive 30 or 40 miles to a hub and do dock work for 6 or 7 hours and then drive 30 or 40 miles back to there center. If you want to be a "truck driver", this is probably not what you're looking for?

American freightways had shuttle runs so this is not a real new thing. City guys worked the dock back then also. I think the dock worker to driver is a good deal for guys wanting to get a CDL. It's not a bad thing because us "real" truckdrivers tend to be kinda lazy. It's no big secret what FedEx freight does so coming to work here should not be a big surprise. Now the national guys coming into this system can ***** because Watkins never had this system

American freightways had shuttle runs so this is not a real new thing. City guys worked the dock back then also. I think the dock worker to driver is a good deal for guys wanting to get a CDL. It's not a bad thing because us "real" truckdrivers tend to be kinda lazy. It's no big secret what FedEx freight does so coming to work here should not be a big surprise. Now the national guys coming into this system can ***** because Watkins never had this system

Back when I started with AF, they didn't have shuttle runs yet. some Road drivers did lay down runs, some did meet n turns, and extra board pretty much ran the system, but that was just a few states back then. It's a whole different world here now.

I dont mind the dockwork, getting out and moving around aint a bad thing. I did figure there would be more driving work, but then again I joined this site to find out whats what.

chieftain said:
I dont mind the dockwork, getting out and moving around aint a bad thing. I did figure there would be more driving work, but then again I joined this site to find out whats what.

Glad your here. Thanks for posting

The dock is not that bad, most of the time lol, sure lose weight at this place

fed ex won t "bring anything" stay where you are at if you want a predictable salary. right now they are trying to strong arm everybody and it s wearing thin..real quick.:Violin: