SAIA | starting out

Train, I come back to the board to find that I have been lectured on my attitude and opinion by a P&D driver who has been with the company a whole year. What, and I left the rest of that out. I read that you have been in the business for a while and I also read the part where you are 60 and full of life's experiences but don't think that you are the only one with grey and approaching white hair and that has been around.

It would help, if we knew whether Linebaugh was going for Linehaul or P&D. If he ends up in P&D, he is all yours. I appreciate your enthusiasm but I've been linehaul for almost 2 decades and you've been P&D for a year. Leave the system part of Linehaul out of this discussion because I have never been in the system. Linehaul and P&D are 2 separate animals. There are many differences in how these departments run but one of the biggest is that P&D carries the fancy phone and Linehaul doesn't. There is a reason. P&D guys need to stay in touch wheras a Linehaul driver could fall off of the face of the earth and Central would not notice, unless the GPS starts screaming at them. Don't think that we feel left out. The first time that you sit on hold, get tortured by that God-awful bumper music/ helpful hints commentary, then, you will get the hint that they don't want to talk to us, except under certain conditions, and the feeling is mutual. Another is that P&D is the main contact point between our customers and the company. Enthusiasm, go get em competiveness, asking for extra business, yada yada yada, makes the P&D world go round but Linehaul is not like that. We access our information, complete our assignments, and God willing, we don't have to contact Central, ever. And then, get the hell out of the way so that P&D can start their day.

But, the system works because the Linehaul information is set, easy to access, and seldom changes. So, I repeat my original advice to Linebaugh. Take it or leave it, it's up to you.

Linebaugh, just remember that you are a number, an asset, a hole filler,nothing more, nothing less. Central does not want to hear from you, except under certain conditions, and your trainer can fill you in on those. You will be told when to start, what to pull, the system will tell you when you are expected to arrive at your destination. All this company wants is for you to show up, ready to work, and for you to operate safely. No super truckers, no hauling ass to impress the bosses, just do the job and then get the hell out of the way. Good Luck.
Fair enough. In my 40+ years I've worked linehaul for a few other LTL outfits. Most of my career was spent as a dispatcher at Overnite. (20 years) I know how this business works in general as far as linehaul. I have many friends in the system here. I respect what you guys bring to the table. And if you don't feel Central values you because your not acknowledged like the P&D guys then I can't change your perception. But you guys are appreciated whether you believe it or not.

Train, I have to say I admire your spirit. We're both about the same age. You've still got the want to to do 110%. I had it beat out of me years ago, so 100% is fine with me. All I want to say is you go girl. I'm behind you all the way as long as I can sit in the cab with the A/C on high.

Train, I have to say I admire your spirit. We're both about the same age. You've still got the want to to do 110%. I had it beat out of me years ago, so 100% is fine with me. All I want to say is you go girl. I'm behind you all the way as long as I can sit in the cab with the A/C on high.
100% is just fine. If everyone would give 100% my job would be so easy.