R&L | Stops per HR

Your right!!!!! If they think they will get more work out of a driver they are wrong... We move more freight per driver than most other companies..... Our city guys can go out with 18 drops plus p/u's, extended route guys can go out with 12 drops plus p/u's and run 350+ miles!!!!!!!!!!!!! How much more do they want us to do???? This could be a way to get rid of the slackers:1036316054:......
Dare to slack, when birds fly in the right formation, they need to only exert half the effort, even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness

:1036316054:

Sounds like this mystery Stops Per Hour sheet is being used for the wrong reason. All T/M's should know how many bills per hour they load and unload on the dock per man hour and how many deliveries are made per hour during the day.

This is used as a guidline. If it takes a drastic turn you have something to look at. New router, new driver, weather, road conditions ect. But not just to punish a guy.

Seems like some dispatchers and T/M's think they are the school teachers not manegers. They need to learn respect, leadership, and personal responcibility...... They will all get you farther in life than barking orders like Stalin.

Just aggravated getting ready for a new week of chasing all over the state as a "extra" driver. With more time in that our "bid run drivers"

Stops per not just a PHI thing. It' everywhere, you just may not know it yet. They're watching stops p/hr on del and a seperate number on pickups. Just another example of someone in Wil with too much time on their hands.

It's definitely being used by TM's and their puppets as a tool to punish drivers. There's not a piece of paper that floats around our terminal that doesn't have to get signed off by all the drivers. Why you ask? So they can hold the driver(s) accountable for every little thing that goes wrong. It's just another tool to pit the drivers against each other...Just like the majority of the contests that they come up with to gain more freight.

It's time for R+L to quit playing games and start concentrating on customer satisfaction and trustworthiness. They need to get rid of these managers who only care about their individual numbers being absolutely perfect and not giving a hoot about customer relations. We don't live in a perfect world.

The tensions are high at our terminal again...and only about a month or so removed from the Human Resources visit. It's gonna be an interesting day to day experience from here on out my friends.

I have freinds that work ot OD, Conway and Estes. They all have these same measurements. They are a guide. It is understood that if I run a lot more miles then someone else that my stops per hour will not be a great as theirs.

They need to get rid of these managers who only care about their individual numbers being absolutely perfect and not giving a hoot about customer relations.

Awe come on now,your TM has been at the same game for almost 10 years,and it's always been like that.

Just mention that the original shop supervisor wants to come back to LEB,or is going to be the next regional shop guy,,, then stand back and watch the fireworks.:hysterical:

Besides if the TM wasn't such an *****,ther'd be more drivers in front of you. you gotta be # 3 or 4 by now??
Tell Tim I said Hi.:1036316054:

I have freinds that work ot OD, Conway and Estes. They all have these same measurements. They are a guide. It is understood that if I run a lot more miles then someone else that my stops per hour will not be a great as theirs.

Be cafeful with thos stops per hour. Like you said, ALL companies are using this as a tool to get the blame off the TM's butt because your corporate has no idea of what is going on in the real world. Remember crap rolls downhill and we all know where the driver is in this geographic situation. I worked with saia for seven years and for seven years I could NEVER make the stops per hour. Every morning I had a 2-2 1/2 hour ride every morning to get to my stops. Each afternoon I had the same ride back to the terminal. When I brought this to the attention of the TM, he would give me 3 or 4 stops in between the terminal and where my freight was going. This was supposed to help my stops per hour. Yeah. Right. Tread lightly on this matter as they ALL are looking ways to SHIFT the blame off of them.

I agree completly. This is a guide.

All gained informantion, bills per hour inbound and outbound, skids per hour, nightly tonnage, driver hours, miles and stops completed are all information that must be calculated to give a overall picture of your terminal.

A good T/M knows this and compiles this information over weeks and months to track his operation.... Begin to see costomer orders declining so get with his sales or other salespeople to address issues.

A poor T/M uses the info in the short term. Day to day operation pitting drives against each other. It shows a lack of knowledge of the frt system........

:ranting:

I agree completly. This is a guide.

All gained informantion, bills per hour inbound and outbound, skids per hour, nightly tonnage, driver hours, miles and stops completed are all information that must be calculated to give a overall picture of your terminal.

A good T/M knows this and compiles this information over weeks and months to track his operation.... Begin to see costomer orders declining so get with his sales or other salespeople to address issues.

A poor T/M uses the info in the short term. Day to day operation pitting drives against each other. It shows a lack of knowledge of the frt system........

:ranting:

Excellent post!!!!:1036316054:

I can see it they are trying to find the bum's with the stops per hr sheet.But does anyone take into account the distance between stops or the tie ups the we have at stops or what about when you get sent from one end of the state to the other.How am I going to have good #'s when no matter what I do I am in the red.-Can't they go on that GPS and see what we are doing and see if the write ups are the way to go and if so then go ahead and nock your self out.I needed to vent on this pointless crap.:chairshot::chairshot:

Miles driven per day and week are figured in on this as well. Don't get to upset if you are on a long peddle (300 plus miles a day)...Those routes are some days domed for faliure either on a pickup, or delivery..There is not enough time in the day to do all the things on some days...

Miles driven per day and week are figured in on this as well. Don't get to upset if you are on a long peddle (300 plus miles a day)...Those routes are some days domed for faliure either on a pickup, or delivery..There is not enough time in the day to do all the things on some days...

Thanks for your input it just get very aggregation when you are trying to what you can with what you got you know.And you know as well as I do we wish every now and then the dispatcher would look up at the map and get some what of a clue what we are going to have to deal with or retain the info that we tell them about all the areas we run.My area is everyones area so I kind of know what it is going to take to get the job done.Its not like I what to be out here all night long I have a little girl I want to see every night like many of you guys who have a family.
:smilie_132:

Believe me brother..I am in "TARVELING MANAGEMENT" with R&L, have been for two years. I never see my kids.

But you guys have to look at it this way too..The dispatcher does not dictate who calls in, what customer, and at what time!! His job is too get the freight picked up the best way he see's fit. You guys may not see eye to eye on every decison made, but he has a job to do as well...

I know in my region, once a pick-up is called in for the out of town guys, they are to call them right then so they know what they are up against..If that is not done, things can come to a boil real real quick. Makes it hard to back track 40 miles to make a pick-up, when you have 9 stops to deliver, in a 150 mile span.....I feel yea.:sumo::mfight:

Thanks for your input it just get very aggregation when you are trying to what you can with what you got you know.And you know as well as I do we wish every now and then the dispatcher would look up at the map and get some what of a clue what we are going to have to deal with or retain the info that we tell them about all the areas we run.My area is everyones area so I kind of know what it is going to take to get the job done.Its not like I what to be out here all night long I have a little girl I want to see every night like many of you guys who have a family.
:smilie_132:

You will never be fired for stops per hour!!!!!!! You work with what you are given and just do your best!!!!! If you do get fired for this,you need not worry because after your lawyer takes his share you will still have enough money to live comfortably the rest of your life. I do not know what management gets out of this or what it means to them, I guess if you don't get enough stops to do you are supposed to go in to TM's office and demand more stops??? Maybe tell them to stop giving out valuable stops to these guys from outside leasing companies??? I don't understand what they are trying to tell us. I can do more stops but they need to make runs for the outside lease guys. Start all the lease guys at noon and let them do the dropped trailers and one stop runs!!!!!!Anyone from Wilmington listening here??????????????

Believe me brother..I am in "TARVELING MANAGEMENT" with R&L, have been for two years. I never see my kids.

But you guys have to look at it this way too..The dispatcher does not dictate who calls in, what customer, and at what time!! His job is too get the freight picked up the best way he see's fit. You guys may not see eye to eye on every decison made, but he has a job to do as well...

I know in my region, once a pick-up is called in for the out of town guys, they are to call them right then so they know what they are up against..If that is not done, things can come to a boil real real quick. Makes it hard to back track 40 miles to make a pick-up, when you have 9 stops to deliver, in a 150 mile span.....I feel yea.:sumo::mfight:
I agree with you on that.. What about the same customers that always seem to call a p/u in at 4:00 and close at 4:30!!!!! With the way things are now we need every piece of freight we can get, but i thought we had a cut off time for p/u's??????

Can we just do our jobs without ridicule

The stops per hour ratio should be from first stop off to last stop on. Not punch to punch. Too many intangibles can affect the ratio.

But, I could care less about these numbers. The TMs are just posting them as a harassment tool to ridicule the drivers and create dissension.

My problem with the whole ordeal right now is the start time debacle. Pushing drivers start times back surely cannot be helping operations or the precious TMs numbers. They think backing up a driver makes them move faster. Personally I move a good enough pace to maintain on the average 2-3 stops per hour while making deliveries. The pickup side changes because as a driver you have no control over what your doing from stop to stop. Some of my deliveries are so close I can drop 4-5 per hour on good days. However, factor in the start time push back. The 9 o'clock starts arent too bad, but pushing back to 930 -1000 creates havoc of unmeasurable proportions. Most business' in my delivery area are pretty strict on taking lunch and not to bother them for that hour or half hour.

If all the terminals are pushing back drivers...the entire operation will falter and the customer base will diminish. Customer service is out the window and dispatchers are resorting to lying to customers to keep them past there closing times.

I average 20 stops per day on a normal basis...depending on business levels. The router is the first step in a successful day of work. I for one cannot figure why our trailers arent loaded and ready to go on Monday mornings. You leave late on Monday and the rest of the week is a domino effect.

This company needs to concentrate on more on customer service and appreciation and less on glorifying TM numbers. How's this for a quote, right from the history page of the R+L website...

"R+L CARRIERS is dedicated to providing superior service by anticipating their customers’ needs and responding to their expectations."

Enough said...Can we get back to this mantra and quit worrying about padding numbers and creating undue stress amongst all the employees.

I for one cannot figure why our trailers arent loaded and ready to go on Monday mornings. You leave late on Monday and the rest of the week is a domino effect.

One would think they would start the inbound crew earlier to make sure we are loaded...

Your comments on start times is funny. At our terminal we start short runs early and long runs late. :hysterical:

Yeah yeah yeah I think its backwards to but you gotta be buddies with T/M I guess.:butt kiss:

One would think they would start the inbound crew earlier to make sure we are loaded...

Your comments on start times is funny. At our terminal we start short runs early and long runs late. :hysterical:

Yeah yeah yeah I think its backwards to but you gotta be buddies with T/M I guess.:butt kiss:

The thing they should be doing is if there is 2 drivers in one area and you have a 7:30 start frieght that is ready on the later guy should go on the early one so they can get out there get empty and start getting the early close pickups that is the way I would do it.And don't forget to listen to the drivers when they tell you that stops need to be moved around so we can get them off in a very got time.And that means that we will look good and the dock would look good.And one more thing stop all the talking and get more work done on the dock that would fix alot of the problems two.But what do I know I am just a driver that looks out side the box.:smilie_132:

Oh Ya that was so right on the money, amazes me how much dead weight in this company but it always comes back to drivers. Mechanics sit in lunch room from 1045-1pm then stand around shop smoking & talking(supervisor included)office people & dispatch are outside twice an hour to smoke @ 5 min. each over 10 hrs thats 1hr 40 min a day of no productivity! But yet they just backed up 5 drivers from 1 board in my terninal till 1pm. Thats a 3 hr loss in 1 day. WTF

1.25 stops per hour is the accepptable limit. from punch in time to punch out time. Doesn't take in account the 20 minute pre-trip we now have to do or if you have an hour ride back to terminal after your done.Another bright idea from our college educated suit wearing fags trying to save company money so they can justify their worthless jobs and seem like they are doing something good for the company. Why don't they get a CDL and hire on as a lease driver for 16 dollars an hour to save the company money!!!!!!!!!