Striking or NOT..That is the question?

Squirt

TB Lurker
Credits
So are the rumors true? Are the union terminals going to strike? There are a lot of people asking questions. Like..

What are they going to accomplish by striking?

If you think that you are going to show the upper brass who is the boss. You are seriously mistaken!! What you are going to do is put alot of your teamster pals out of a job just before Christmas. Along with a lot of the non union employees, who are inocent bystandards. Explain that to their little kids, when Mom and Dad can't efford to buy them gifts.

Customers are going to go with other carriers to move thier freight. NON UNION carriers at that. Then when everything gets settled and everyone comes back to work. Those customers are going to stay with the other carrier and there will be no work for the lower senority drivers and they are going to get LAYED OFF.. Great plan!!

Do us all a favor.. Let the Union Reps keep hammering out with the Brass and keep working. That way we all have jobs for the future. DO NOT STRIKE!! That would be like playing Russian roulet with with a fully loaded pistol. NO ONE WILL BE A WINNER....

So are the rumors true? Are the union terminals going to strike? There are a lot of people asking questions. Like..

If you think that you are going to show the upper brass who is the boss. You are seriously mistaken!! What you are going to do is put alot of your teamster pals out of a job just before Christmas. Along with a lot of the non union employees, who are inocent bystandards. Explain that to their little kids, when Mom and Dad can't efford to buy them gifts.

Customers are going to go with other carriers to move thier freight. NON UNION carriers at that. Then when everything gets settled and everyone comes back to work. Those customers are going to stay with the other carrier and there will be no work for the lower senority drivers and they are going to get LAYED OFF.. Great plan!!

Do us all a favor.. Let the Union Reps keep hammering out with the Brass and keep working. That way we all have jobs for the future. DO NOT STRIKE!! That would be like playing Russian roulet with with a fully loaded pistol. NO ONE WILL BE A WINNER....

Gotta love the rumor mill!

Wow. No one here can tell you if we were going on strike or not. No one in the world can tell you. It all matters what happens in the next set of negotiations. The people who have the best idea is Dave and Ed. Go ask them if they are going to budge at all on where they stand, They are the deciding factor.

Sure, if it happens, some people will get layed off. That is, IF it happens. i could be mistaken here, but didnt we have a strike authorization vote on our last contract? That didnt go anywhere.

Im also confused as to which "non-union" employees in which you refer to that will lose their jobs. I mean , at the Auburn terminal, if you drive, or work dock, you are union. only people who arent union, are managers and so forth.

If we go on strike, (as I stated before)theres only a chance, it will be for good reason. We will not go on strike for one little reason. I cant believe so many people think we are going on strike. We all know the answer to that as I know the answer to what i am going to makefor dinner tonight(Just so you know, I have no clue on what to eat tonight :hysterical: )

Anyways, there would be no point in trying to urge us not to go on strike anyways. We voted on it. If the union decides nothing else can be done, we are walking.

:1036316054:If you strike or walk how ever wish to pharse it you will lose your job. Because someone else will be doing your job.

Gotta love the rumor mill!

Wow. No one here can tell you if we were going on strike or not. No one in the world can tell you. It all matters what happens in the next set of negotiations. The people who have the best idea is Dave and Ed. Go ask them if they are going to budge at all on where they stand, They are the deciding factor.

Sure, if it happens, some people will get layed off. That is, IF it happens. i could be mistaken here, but didnt we have a strike authorization vote on our last contract? That didnt go anywhere.

Im also confused as to which "non-union" employees in which you refer to that will lose their jobs. I mean , at the Auburn terminal, if you drive, or work dock, you are union. only people who arent union, are managers and so forth.

If we go on strike, (as I stated before)theres only a chance, it will be for good reason. We will not go on strike for one little reason. I cant believe so many people think we are going on strike. We all know the answer to that as I know the answer to what i am going to makefor dinner tonight(Just so you know, I have no clue on what to eat tonight :hysterical: )

Anyways, there would be no point in trying to urge us not to go on strike anyways. We voted on it. If the union decides nothing else can be done, we are walking.

I voted not to strike, and I'm not going too.

Nobody wants a strike but you have to stand up for what you believe as well.If you don't like the possiblities,you should have went to an all non-union carrier then.I voted to strike and proud of it.I'm not going down without a fight to give up my healthcare and pension for a company plan.

Of course someone else will be doing our job, truckenjoe!

There are millions of drivers lining up anxiously awaiting a chance to drive at Oak Harbor. That's why we can't seem to fill our open and available positions, right? Not just lately, but for years now.

That's why even the California barns are way, way short-handed. I'm sure they can get some of those supervisors to drive our trucks, right?

Sure... just as soon as they get their CDLS. And they've got what... one spare supervisor with a CDL to fill the union trucks on a one-for-one ratio?

Of course they do. Of course they do... (sigh).

You can always tell when management comes on here with their fear games and their silly logic.

Keep trying boy-o's... it ain't working...:chairshot:

Nobody wants a strike but you have to stand up for what you believe as well.If you don't like the possiblities,you should have went to an all non-union carrier then.I voted to strike and proud of it.I'm not going down without a fight to give up my healthcare and pension for a company plan.

I am a true believer in fighting for a cause. That is what makes this country so great, but you are not giving up anything. The VP are allowing you to stay in the Teamsters or opting out. That is up to YOU. From what I understand they are just tiered of throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars away for something that would never get used.

It would be like you buying a car and making monthly payments on that car and never getting to use it. They just want to know who is in and who wants out. That is is it.

Here is a history question for you. Do you know why OHFL went union in the first place?

Let your rep (now there is an oximoron) work it out for now but YOU have to look at what is on the table. Do not let your rep tell you what is on the table. YOU make your own decision. I mean we are adults and we make our own decision.. right. I am not a follower by any means. I make decisions on what is best for me and my family. That is what really makes this counrty great. THE FREEDOM TO CHOOSE..

Of course someone else will be doing our job, truckenjoe!

There are millions of drivers lining up anxiously awaiting a chance to drive at Oak Harbor. That's why we can't seem to fill our open and available positions, right? Not just lately, but for years now.

That's why even the California barns are way, way short-handed. I'm sure they can get some of those supervisors to drive our trucks, right?

Sure... just as soon as they get their CDLS. And they've got what... one spare supervisor with a CDL to fill the union trucks on a one-for-one ratio?

Of course they do. Of course they do... (sigh).

You can always tell when management comes on here with their fear games and their silly logic.

Keep trying boy-o's... it ain't working...:chairshot:

Wow... Just because I have an opinon and am willing to voice my opinon I must be management. That is a hoot...:hysterical:

I am just a open minded driver that is trying to see both sides and try to shed light on something that could and will have great consequences. I have been around and in unions for my whole life and NOBODY and I mean NOBODYwins in a strike. Think big picture...

Umm... I was responding to "truckenjoe", not you.

And we are quite aware that no one wins in a strike. Quite aware. But nevertheless, there is a time to strike.

You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything. That's the title to a country song by Aaron Tippen, I believe, but it's a true adage.

If you don't draw the line here, where exactly do you draw the line? And if you keep moving the line further and further back, they own your butt.

Plain and simple. They will own you. Does that thought make you feel good?

Personally, I hate the thought of a strike. But make no mistake, if they push us that direction, I will strike them, and furthermore, I will make sure they go out of business... forever and ever, amen.

I think that's a country song, too, by golly...:nutkick:

It would be like you buying a car and making monthly payments on that car and never getting to use it.

Kind of like hiring a manager/supervisor
giving them a pay check and never training them to do their jobs. Management screw ups will cause us to lose our customers also, but are they held accountable? What does it mean on a DR when it says "early am delivery" and you leave the yard at 10.30 am? or "liftgate required" and the freight is not on a liftgate and all day long you're trying to do your job around a piece of freight you can't unload. And some innocent person in the office trys to make things right with the customer and neither of them can understand how to make delivery instruction more clear. That is how we lose customers. Do not blame the Union Members for the problems this company has. If Dave and Ed want to see their profits go up, don't take things away from people doing their jobs, get rid of Management not doing theirs..

SORRY JUST HAD TO VENT:grinning-smiley-021

I am a true believer in fighting for a cause. That is what makes this country so great, but you are not giving up anything. The VP are allowing you to stay in the Teamsters or opting out. That is up to YOU. From what I understand they are just tiered of throwing hundreds of thousands of dollars away for something that would never get used.

It would be like you buying a car and making monthly payments on that car and never getting to use it. They just want to know who is in and who wants out. That is is it.

Here is a history question for you. Do you know why OHFL went union in the first place?

Let your rep (now there is an oximoron) work it out for now but YOU have to look at what is on the table. Do not let your rep tell you what is on the table. YOU make your own decision. I mean we are adults and we make our own decision.. right. I am not a follower by any means. I make decisions on what is best for me and my family. That is what really makes this counrty great. THE FREEDOM TO CHOOSE..
If you think that crossing a picket line and undercutting the efforts of you co-workers is a amicable behavior there's no point in arguing with you. Do you not think that maybe the reason for the strike is not devious in nature, but more or less a final last ditch effort to keep the last shred of respect a LTL driver has? You are going to cross a strike line for your family? I hope you feel good about all your co-workers standing around barrels in the cold not getting payed. Some people are so selfish it makes me sick.

The VP's are very rich, the company makes allot of money, why then, should the employees be expected to give? There would be no Oak Harbor if it were not for the employees, they are what made this company what it is. If you are not willing to stand up for yourself I guess you deserve what you have coming. Anyone who's is not afraid to stand up knows that once the union is gone there will be no respect for seniority, wages will stagnate, no more pension (some members have more than 20 years accumulated), paying for your medical (sure its only a little bit at first but if you will accept this now whats a little more down the road?). Just don't quit and go looking for another union job, you stick it out it's your bed!

I am not saying you all need to strike, but, if there is a authorized strike vote, and the bargaining reaches a impasse, and the union calls a strike, its your duty to stand up. I know its scary but its one of the most important decisions you will ever make in your life. You had the freedom to choose, and you chose to work at a union employer, truth is when people work together they really can make a difference. When people like you undermine us you take food off the table of every person employed in your industry, union or not.

I hate to be corny but I just watched "Oceans 13" and a line stuck in my head, "I would rather die on my feet, than live on my knees"

If your reading here please bear in mind that there are management, and possibly even well trained union busters posting here (I know your thinking well trained management at Oak Harbor? but they may be willing to open their wallets on this one), so take everything with a grain of salt. Whatever happens, keep the solidarity and work together.

:1036316054:If you strike or walk how ever wish to pharse it you will lose your job. Because someone else will be doing your job.

I don't know how many union city drivers their are at OHFL 120-180? Background checked, Haz mat certified, drug tested, they know the city, they know their customers, and they know their routes where are these drivers coming from?

Shifterknob, your statement about striking and closing the company is very interesting, and enlightening.

My guess is that the union members make up about a third of the employees company wide. I may be wrong but I don't think I am too far off.

So using those numbers, if on third does not get their way, then they (you) would take pleasure in seeing the other two thirds without a job. I think 'happily" was your word.

If you were successful in closing down the company, which I don't think would happen, then who would suffer? I don't think the owners would as I am sure they are financially stable, in fact, several here keep referring to how rich they are.

Those that would suffer would be ALL the employees and their families, the "workers". The unions in this country are always saying they are for the working man, but apparently that is only the dues paying working man.

Standing up and fighting for what you believe in is one thing. But inflicting hardships on others who have no control in the situation is quite another. That is the definition of selfish. But then again, maybe it is for "the greater good" as Karl Marx would say.

Of course you're going to cross a picket line. We wouldn't expect anything else from the likes of you...

Hell, you're probably going to be our next VP of Operations...!:butt kiss:

He is just a wise man, shame we can't say the same about you. You don't even work for OAKH. You are bitter and just want the company destroyed for your own person agenda, then you come out like you are for union brotherhood when you could care less about the drivers. You just want to stir up fear and mobs. That is sad man.

Those that would suffer would be ALL the employees and their families, the "workers". The unions in this country are always saying they are for the working man, but apparently that is only the dues paying working man.
They should have thought about that when they hired on with an employer that has union members. Everyone one of them has an opportunity to become a union member and voice their opinion at the ballot box but "they" have chosen to remain silent by not becoming a member. Union members have not kept them from participationg in this process. They have done that to themselves. So if things go south, they can blame themselves if their job is lost.

Here is the funny thing. I am a card carrying member of the "Brotherhood of Teamsters" and I can tell you from my own history. That if anyone thinks that thier local "Business accociate" is looking out for their "Brotherhoods" best interest, you are sadly mistaken. The only thing that your local BA is looking out for is the number of card carring members he has on file.

I have watched BA's put people out of work because of thier own arrogance. I have worked out of 4 different halls over the years and they were all the same. Get you signed up then forget about you. All they care about is thier quota.

But that is just my opinon....

That is why YOU have to look at what is being presented to you and you have to do that with an open mind.

BA means business agent, not business associate. Generally BA's do not pass out cards, the people that do that are called organizers. Maybe you should turn in your card as a public act of defiance, stand up for yourself, be a free thinker.

While at work share you distrust for the union with your co-workers come on Mr. freethinker come out of the closet. I think you won't because you can't, because you are not what you imply you are.

A strike is a lose-lose situation. But when a lot is at stake, like in this situation, it is the only viable option. We have two options: in situation A (strike) you lose, and in situation B (non-strike) you lose much more. Therefore, situation B is more viable. Much more, the alternative is out of the question.