FedEx Freight | Supreme Court Allows E-Logs to become law

My opinion of how to cheat on on a eld is..... enter another driver number. .... as if you were running a team. ... what is the difference you are not legal anyhow.
You can't do that, either, unless some moron gave you his password to go with his ID.

That is the problem...the big corporations can move the freight a lot cheaper than a single O/O which in turn creates cheap freight regardless of who's pulling their trailers...and with the backing of the ATA pushing things through Congress in the name of "safety", they're basically running the little man out of business.

Again, not saying "the little guys" should be exempt from anything but without the ability to drop and hook (regardless of TL, reefer, flat deck, etc) the little guy will always be at a disadvantage...and ELD's will only exaggerate that disadvantage.
And that's just it. The big carriers are running themselves broke running the cheap freight. There's a lot of people wondering if Celadon will survive the year. Schneider went public because they need money. Swift and Knight are merging.

The little guy with a single truck/trailer operation is, if anything, better off not running dry box freight at all. It's the shippers and receivers who hold you at a dock all day, and for the most part they don't care where you're from or who you are. And they're going to be hit with the ELD problem harder than anyone.

Yes, not having the ability to drop and hook hurts the little guy, but frequently the big carriers don't do drop and hook loads either because customers won't let them spot trailers. Why? Because sometimes it takes days for the big carriers to get someone to go get the load.

Trust me, Red, the only little guy who is going to be severely hurt by this is the one who doesn't run legal. Don't tell a customer you can do the impossible and you'll never suffer. Besides that, most o/o's today are contracted to a big carrier anyway. Landstar is a popular one because they let you choose your loads online, a program Schneider has since adopted for their o/o's. Being 100% independent today is generally reserved for the specialized freight crowd, and even they often contract with a big carrier to make getting loads easier.

The OOIDA blew out of proportion a relatively tiny problem for a comparable few among their numbers. I've personally never seen an independent trucker with his own name as the only name on the side of his truck, and I've done a fair bit of traveling over the years.