Syr.NY Semi with high load of scrap hit 14' bridge/kept going.

A similar situation occured 8-10 years ago on I 90 west of Exit 46 in Henrietta N.Y. I responded to an accident when a west bound load of crushed cars going to the scrapyard brushed an underpass. Several cars fell to the pavement, with the truck continuing on its merry little way. A west bound set of tandems hit the cars, veered into the medium, losing the tail. The truck continued into the The eastbound lane striking the nose of an eastbound trailer load of transmission casings. We located the westbound cab in the rear of the eastbound trailer, with the driver deceased. The eastboud caught fire, driver got out.
W e were told the driver was located in Canada but there could be no charges because he had made it into another country. don't know if there ever was a civil suit. very sad time
The truck that caused the incident had been using load straps, not chains to secure the load, and two of the straps cut thru, allowing the cars to spring up and hit the bridge. wrong equipment for the job.

Yes I do remember that crash as well as you xchief.

The authorities finally caught up with the driver in Hamilton Ontario Canada.
And yes you are right he was a canadian driver,and could not be charged with the crash.
This driver also claimed he never knew he lost anything off his load.
Yeah right when I was a city driver on my route with my 48 foot van,and day cab.
As little as one skid tipped over in my box and I could feel it.

I believe the driver that was killed was driving for a grocery warehouse.
However because of how long ago it was I don't recall the company's name?

Apostolic,

He was driving for Topps out of Lancaster. I believe their logistics Company is Erie Logistics.
good Memory for you!!

I'm certain there are daily if not weekly, items of scrap falling off trailers and going unnoticed by the drivers abnd seemingly trying to alert any authorities is a waste of time.

A coupla years ago on west bound I-40 just passed Winston-Salem, I SAW a chunk of metal fall off a Trailer. I tried unsuccessfully to alert the Police and/or Highway patrol yet was met with the usual red tape of "Which county are you in or which county did this happen".
I asked "HOW it could matter since it was on an Interstate"?
After the question again of "which county", I simply hung up.

I saw a Mexican truck have it brakes on fire. It was the trailer at night, I flashed my lights... would not pull over. I tried several times with no success so I decided to follow ... I got his plate # and name on the door.

I followed in case he caused a accident. As it turned out the duals came off right at six mile creek bridge in Erie Just past the T/A on 90 exit 35. At that time I called the State Police... talk about getting a rough time.

They act as if it were me causing the mess. They finally stopped him at exit 18... he is damn lucky those duals didn't hit someone!!!

I also had a very weird experience very many years ago.
I was driving a box truck for the first union LTL I worked for way back in the 60's.
Well I was behind this contractor with a 13'6" Semi who I found out after his crash he was heading for a food warehouse just 2 miles east of where he was.

The thing was the road we were both on had a 12'6" bridge which I knew I could just bearly clear with my box truck,and also knew there was no way the guy ahead of me was going to make it under.

Well The weird part is,I'm laying on my horn pulling way to the left and flashing my lights so he could see them in his mirror.

I did what I could to get him to pull over,so I could help him turn around and direct him to where he needed to go.

The bridge is getting closer,doesn't his guy drop it down a couple of gears,and hammer down into the bridge ripping his van a little better than half way back to the tail.

Well I pulled over and walked to his cab asked him what was he thinking?
turns out he was from California with a load of produce.
says he thought if he really was moving he'd make it all the way under.
I asked couldn't you tell you were to high.
He gives me a grin and says yes.

Go figure?