SAIA | Taking that leap.....

Well after a week of training and 3 days running on my own I'm really happy about my decision on coming here. Coming from foodservice I had/have a lot to learn about the freight business and everyday is full of them. Hardest thing so far is just understanding Dsp and how to get the most out of my time to make the most money. For now I'm just taking it slow checking everything 2 or 3 times before I pull out, lol.

Thanks again for all the replies and reading the other threads have been great as well. Any advice you have will be listened to for sure.

Glad for you, now only if I could get the courage to leave Food Service, you think it would be easy when you dread getting up to go to work every day.

Probably a lot easier than humpin cases of steaks right? Btw, where is your domicile terminal?

Its night and day compared to humping groceries. It has a "grown up" feeling to it that's hard to explain to anyone who hasn't come from foodservice or soda.

My home terminal is DLS. So far ive been to Austin, Victoria, & Houston. Looking forward to seeing where I head off to next week.

Its night and day compared to humping groceries. It has a "grown up" feeling to it that's hard to explain to anyone who hasn't come from foodservice or soda.

My home terminal is DLS. So far ive been to Austin, Victoria, & Houston. Looking forward to seeing where I head off to next week.

I haven't done groceries but have a good friend that has for years and he is in bad shape...

I threw groceries for 4 to 5 years. Ran shuttle for a foodservice company and I've done P&D for both Estes and saia. I haven't worked at saia for 3 years now and I just started back last week on linehaul. I'm glad I finally decided to make the jump to linehaul. Right now I was put on a bid. I start it by myself next week. Its only 392 miles but I love the hrs. I have alot of time at home with my son. I was really nervous about doing system and right now looks like I'll have this bid for 6 months then idk what will happen. The guy that took systems worked out a deal with the TM to cover for a driver that is gone due to injury and I guess the tm is going to look to see if the driver can bump me when the other ddrivr returns. But we'll see. I enjoy linehaul tho

Well, first full Mon-Sun week alone I ran 3300 miles. Hardest thing for me so far has been trying to learn how the freight business flows. From what im seeing that may take awhile, lol.

Being a system driver I figure ill try to sign up for any extra runs I can on the weekend and reset on Mondays. I figure if I can pick any runs while on bottom I better do it. Really wish I would've made the leap to freight years ago but Im happy im here now for sure. I tip my hat to all the guys who work at these small yards. Its a pain just dropping by so I cant imagine working at one 5-6 days a week.

I worked food service for 26 years. Not all of that delivering groceries. It's not the steaks that is hard, its the 6 #10 can boxes and damn stairs. Luckily, after 6 years of delivery, I got a bid to run at night, shuttle driving. Night work, but, easier than delivery. It was union also. Didn't even have to hook my set. Pre-trip and go. Freight work is easier and you will catch on quick. Do what these guys are telling you and you'll be fine.

Just spent 3 days up in the MO, KS, & Ok area. They should issue us a firearm and a bullet proof jacket to stay in the KCY hotel. That was scary!

Was my first "real" time spent running wild and its not as bad as I thought it might be. Ill be sure and pack better so I can stay out longer. Any tips on how to maximize my time out there?

. Any tips on how to maximize my time out there?

let dispatch know that you will be ready to run on your 10. if you are in the same area regularly get in with the dispatcher do him a favor and let him know you are willing to run , and he will look out for you

i just took the leap from conway. i was a dock supervisor at conway for 2 years and a driver for 3 years before that. i couldn't be more excited to go back to driving.