TForce | Teams, forced transfers.

steve5

TB Veteran
Credits
We got our new bids in LAX and have 6 team runs and all north layovers were taken.
Only 4 layovers exist in LAX now all with breakouts, 7 bottom drivers being forced to go to FON, 15 out of RIA. Lots of low paying shuttle runs put in place of our regular line runs. All this done with one week's notice.
When is this going to end? More taking and no end in site.
They raised MC's pension and gave us 1cpm more and then eliminated line runs and cut high mileage runs and put on low paying shuttle. Forced drivers to work as much as 70 miles away from home to team at another terminal. I read the memo on the consol of terminal and it said " ask 7 line drivers to volunteer transfer to FON. If no volunteer, force from bottom up" no exceptions.
It looks like one step forward, two steps back.
I also looked at my new pay stub and my hourly changed from 19.08 to 19.075. Not a real big problem, just added for humor.

steve5 said:
We got our new bids in LAX and have 6 team runs and all north layovers were taken.
Only 4 layovers exist in LAX now all with breakouts, 7 bottom drivers being forced to go to FON, 15 out of RIA. Lots of low paying shuttle runs put in place of our regular line runs. All this done with one week's notice.
When is this going to end? More taking and no end in site.
They raised MC's pension and gave us 1cpm more and then eliminated line runs and cut high mileage runs and put on low paying shuttle. Forced drivers to work as much as 70 miles away from home to team at another terminal. I read the memo on the consol of terminal and it said " ask 7 line drivers to volunteer transfer to FON. If no volunteer, force from bottom up" no exceptions.
It looks like one step forward, two steps back.
I also looked at my new pay stub and my hourly changed from 19.08 to 19.075. Not a real big problem, just added for humor.

Steve, What are the low paying shuttles? Are they just having the ones that are left at LAX shuttle all over the basin.

I'm out of SCM I guess they will do us next. We are the last to be merged.

$19.75 I guess you are not at the top pay yet should be $21.00 an hour.

I am still very optimistic about this whole deal and think it is just a matter of time before UPSF gets its act together.

Its always painful in the beginning of something like this. But if you hold on I think you will be glad you did when its all ironed out.

Skeeter said:
Steve, What are the low paying shuttles? Are they just having the ones that are left at LAX shuttle all over the basin.

I'm out of SCM I guess they will do us next. We are the last to be merged.

$19.75 I guess you are not at the top pay yet should be $21.00 an hour.

I am still very optimistic about this whole deal and think it is just a matter of time before UPSF gets its act together.

Its always painful in the beginning of something like this. But if you hold on I think you will be glad you did when its all ironed out.
Well I going to hold on sink or sail, I've got enough senority not to be affected too much by it, its my fellow employees that fall within the bottom are who I am concerned with. Either way I am transfering to FON voluntarily.
The low paying shuttles I'm referring to are LAXFON eight hours a night, LAXLOS, LAXOCY, LAXOXN, LAXANT,LAXRIA, LAXSAN, to name a few. And from what I'm told some are breakouts. Low paying compared to the line runs we had that they replaced (line runs pay more than hourly). We haven't got to the top pay yet, July 07 is the date of parity. Some of our new drivers are only making 17.57 per hour.
What I'm trying to say with this thread is if the company wants to keep employees happy one thing you don't do is force them to transfer the distance thier asking, and give them ultimatums with one weeks notice.
It's not right no matter where you stand.

Another thing to add, I don't know about the rest of you but I did not come to a LTL company to team. But I think it is clear to me now that this is the way UPS Freight wants to go.

I can understand how you feel. But union or nonunion the same thing would of happened. Union companies have operational changes all the time.

I'm a little confused on your comment of only a weeks notice. I thought the bids wasn't till the 30th of June. I would think that would be plenty of notice.

Skeeter said:
I can understand how you feel. But union or nonunion the same thing would of happened. Union companies have operational changes all the time.

I'm a little confused on your comment of only a weeks notice. I thought the bids wasn't till the 30th of June. I would think that would be plenty of notice.
We had our bids posted Fri last week and need to bid/make a decision about transfer Thurs (tomorrow) in the AM.
Never mentioned anything about Union, respectfully.

steve5 said:
Another thing to add, I don't know about the rest of you but I did not come to a LTL company to team. But I think it is clear to me now that this is the way UPS Freight wants to go.

Love how the teams come in over the weekend, pick up the freight, and the regular bid runs on Sun are cancelled because there is no freight!

And, I'm only told of my 'day off' after I show up, wait on the phone with VA for 30 minutes, and they say, "Who are you?" or if I still can't get a hold of them, I call my 'meet' guy, and he tells me I have the day off.

Skeeter said:

Our terminal rebid within a week also. So much for the two week notice like in says in the handbook. We were told that it was at the discretion of the terminal, and we needed to be flexible.

The Memphis terminal was supposed to bid this Sunday. One day last week some of the top drivers started bidding their runs. Hubby bid his earlier this week. Got the same thing he has now. At least he didn't have to drive to Memphis for the bid meeting. Saves a lot of driving for most of the drivers, especially if you are off on Sundays.

Somethings getting ready to happen. At my terminal we are putting on 19 road drivers said something about cutting Fontana out from running to the east coast. Something big i tell you is getting ready to happen!

misfit73 said:
Somethings getting ready to happen. At my terminal we are putting on 19 road drivers said something about cutting Fontana out from running to the east coast. Something big i tell you is getting ready to happen!

Yea it's big alright the teams will all start doing meets. :biglaugh:

Skeeter said:
Yea it's big alright the teams will all start doing meets. :biglaugh:
Are you just kidding or did you hear something?
This will affect me directly since I am transfering to FON.
They told us transfering (volunteers and those forced) to be at FON Sunday for meeting.

steve5 said:
Are you just kidding or did you hear something?
This will affect me directly since I am transfering to FON.
They told us transfering (volunteers and those forced) to be at FON Sunday for meeting.

No sorry Steve I was just joking with the other guy. I don't know anything that is happening in FON we are all in the dark.

The team run my husband was on in the past met a team in Santa Rosa and then back to Memphis on the first part of the run and then the 2nd part they went all the way to Fontana. So it isn't something new, except they may want to do more runs like that.

Valerie said:
The team run my husband was on in the past met a team in Santa Rosa and then back to Memphis on the first part of the run and then the 2nd part they went all the way to Fontana. So it isn't something new, except they may want to do more runs like that.
I kind of like the idea of team meets(I understand this more than likely won't happen). I'm a typical southern Californian, flipflop wearin' beach bum that would like to stay away from the slippery white stuff if I can.

Valerie said:

Yes a lot of team runs out west have a meet on the first half. But from what I hear a lot of UPS teams just do meets.

UPS may want that for UPSF.

WIGGLEWAGON said:
Love how the teams come in over the weekend, pick up the freight, and the regular bid runs on Sun are cancelled because there is no freight!

And, I'm only told of my 'day off' after I show up, wait on the phone with VA for 30 minutes, and they say, "Who are you?" or if I still can't get a hold of them, I call my 'meet' guy, and he tells me I have the day off.
From what I'm seeing, (and I am watching operations closley) ex-MC terminals are going to be picked clean.
How can we keep customers when Bay area freight is delivered 2nd day? A week ago I went from SAC-SCM-BCA on the way home, and while I was waiting for a dispatch I looked at one of the trlr manifests. It said that the load in that trlr was loaded in LOS, 2100 the night before, than shuttled to FON and lined to SCM to sit in the yard until the next night. Or it sat in the yard in FON and lined in the morning, either way its very poor planning. I hope it is an isolated incident caused by lack of drivers. If it isn't, and it is normal operating procedure, UPS needs to come in and clean house.

steve5 said:
From what I'm seeing...and it is normal operating procedure, UPS needs to come in and clean house.
Steve, It's a mess here too. West is run differently than the East, and now that we are run from the East, well...
We have three runs south per day, yesterday was the first day in three weeks that any of us have taken freight south rather than just meet and bring freight north. Empties won't be fun to pull in the snow.
We have been complaining and the TM says things will be changing back to more like they were. Can't be soon enough for me.