Yellow | Teamster's Reject

Hollandman babbles, "What great skills does the hubby have that any new college grad doesn't have??? I think the economy will price his skills at about $12 an hour......I'll have about 15,000 job openings to apply for......how about him? I know every single manager at my barn wishes they got a voice in this vote.......but they didn't. The TEAMSTERS did!!! It's nice to have a say in your destiny isn't it??Oh----you wouldn't know....."

Meh. Your job is going to be tough to replace. No trucking companies are going to hire someone coming from a union company. They don't like being held hostage by a pretentious fool such as yourself.

BTW, most Teamsters I know aren't like you. Most are gentlemen. They'll do just fine.

Muddles--Get your husband in a CDL school quick........he might be able to grab one of those 15,000 jobs coming up......get him a little experience OTR first and he'll be good to go! Maybe he could even be a TEAMSTER!! I live by Chicago.....they have no problem hiring ex-Teamsters so no big deal here. ...Just a different name on the door. This back and forth with you has been fun but I think were done here....Good Luck!:guiness:

Thanks for the well wishes, Hollandman. I just suggested to hubby that he become a truck driver. He laughed and said no thanks. Anywho, good luck to you and yours.

Welch needs to go! :sadwavey::sadwavey:
Oh brother, I couldn't disagree with you more harshly. Welch hasn't been perfect by any means, but he is a vast improvement over what we had. I think that he and his cohorts shot themselves in the foot when they accepted big bonuses last winter. His crusade on this MOU amendment wasn't a good move either. Those two things aside, I think he's done a very good job. He walked into a disaster, and has been trying to clean that up. He hasn't gotten a lot of help in that regard.
I've been with this company for a long time, and a Teamster in other crafts for a long time before that. What I've seen in all my career is a mixed bag as far as good versus bad.
In this case, I'm calling on EVERYBODY to take the reins. This is our company. Some people here work very hard trying to take care of business. Others are a disgrace to our company, a disgrace to the Union, and a disgrace to themselves. Those people need to wake up, and do it now! That's just the Teamster brethren. As for the management, some of them work very hard as well. Others might if they only had a clue of what they were doing. A few others simply need to be gone, and why they are still there is beyond my understanding.
What needs to happen now is for all parties; the rank-and-file, the management and the IBT to get with the program. We need to handle freight carefully on our docks. We need to load it into trailers so it will make destination without getting damaged or lost. We need to move that trailer so that the freight gets to destination, and on to the consignee ON TIME or even early. We need to WOW the customers with how well we do things. We need to instill confidence in our customers that we can and will get the job done, and done well.
We need to quit fighting with each other, and fight ConWay instead. We need the corporate office to stop trying to blow smoke up our tails. We need people to come to work when they're supposed to be there, and perform their jobs very well when they get there. We have no room for sluffs and slackers. If you don't want to work, please take your carcass elsewhere; we're tired of carrying you. You're dragging the rest of us down!
When the management screws up, help fix it. When a brother Teamster screws up, help fix it. Train your brother Teamster if he doesn't know what he's doing. Some of them don't because they've never been taught, and they haven't had the good fortune to figure it out themselves.
This is what we have to do. Now let's do it. Make YRC the king of the road! Let's take our company back to the top of the charts..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hollandman babbles, "What great skills does the hubby have that any new college grad doesn't have??? I think the economy will price his skills at about $12 an hour......I'll have about 15,000 job openings to apply for......how about him? I know every single manager at my barn wishes they got a voice in this vote.......but they didn't. The TEAMSTERS did!!! It's nice to have a say in your destiny isn't it??Oh----you wouldn't know....."

Meh. Your job is going to be tough to replace. No trucking companies are going to hire someone coming from a union company. They don't like being held hostage by a pretentious fool such as yourself.

BTW, most Teamsters I know aren't like you. Most are gentlemen. They'll do just fine.

what a crock! last layoff job I had the guy tell us he would hire every laid off yrc driver he could get. Never saw that level of dedication before out of a group of drivers. And by the way, those managers you say wish they had a say in this did. all they had to do was apply for a job on our side of the fence.

Oh brother, I couldn't disagree with you more harshly. Welch hasn't been perfect by any means, but he is a vast improvement over what we had. I think that he and his cohorts shot themselves in the foot when they accepted big bonuses last winter. His crusade on this MOU amendment wasn't a good move either. Those two things aside, I think he's done a very good job. He walked into a disaster, and has been trying to clean that up. He hasn't gotten a lot of help in that regard.
I've been with this company for a long time, and a Teamster in other crafts for a long time before that. What I've seen in all my career is a mixed bag as far as good versus bad.
In this case, I'm calling on EVERYBODY to take the reins. This is our company. Some people here work very hard trying to take care of business. Others are a disgrace to our company, a disgrace to the Union, and a disgrace to themselves. Those people need to wake up, and do it now! That's just the Teamster brethren. As for the management, some of them work very hard as well. Others might if they only had a clue of what they were doing. A few others simply need to be gone, and why they are still there is beyond my understanding.
What nees to happen now is for all parties; the rank-and-file, the management and the IBT to get with the program. We need to handle freight carefully on our docks. We need to load it into trailers so it will make destination without getting damaged or lost. We need to move that trailer so that the freight gets to destination, and on to the consignee ON TIME or even early. We need to WOW the customers with how well we do things. We need to instill confidence in our customers that we can and will get the job done, and done well.
We need to quit fighting with each other, and fight ConWay instead. We need the corporate office to stop trying to blow smoke up our tails. We need people to come to work when they're supposed to be there, and perform their jobs very well when they get there. We have no room for sluffs and slackers. If you don't want to work, please take your carcass elsewhere; we're tired of carrying you. You're dragging the rest of us down!
When the management screws up, help fix it. When a brother Teamster screws up, help fix it. Train your brother Teamster if he doesn't know what he's doing. Some of them don't because they've never been taught, and they haven't had the good fortune to figure it out themselves.
This is what we have to do. Now let's do it. Make YRC the king of the road! Let's take our company back to the top of the charts..

Welch still needs to go.:sadwavey:

what a crock! last layoff job I had the guy tell us he would hire every laid off yrc driver he could get. Never saw that level of dedication before out of a group of drivers. And by the way, those managers you say wish they had a say in this did. all they had to do was apply for a job on our side of the fence.

There was a supervisor a know, decent guy, not your typical supervisor. He quit to move back closer to his home and got a job at Con-Way. Six months later he is trying to get his YRC job back because non-union employees suck. His words not mine. I know anothe management type that has worked non-union and union. He says he would work union guys hands down over non-union "garbage". Again his words not mine.

THE CORRECT CAPTION: We are the yes voters....we allowed the company to use outside vendors and freeze wages so they could pay those venders....now we're not necessary. Besides our pay isn't much more then McDonalds

What needs to happen now is for all parties; the rank-and-file, the management and the IBT to get with the program. We need to handle freight carefully on our docks. We need to load it into trailers so it will make destination without getting damaged or lost. We need to move that trailer so that the freight gets to destination, and on to the consignee ON TIME or even early. We need to WOW the customers with how well we do things. We need to instill confidence in our customers that we can and will get the job done, and done well.

Amen brother, couldn't agree with you more. Now if only the company could invest in some plywood instead of this cardboard TRASH, we could build better loads, and I personally could do wonders with plywood, like building walls so that the freight doesn't topple over... Ahh, it's nice to dream...
God bless.

That backbone will do you well when you're asking, "Would you like fries with that order?"

This has been an educational experience for hubby and I. Now I know we'll never join a union. On purpose. Go Teamsters!
Let me say this ma'am, I don't know if your husband works for YRC or one of the regionals. I am sorry that you all have had a bad experience with dealing with the Teamsters Union. As a thrid generation Teamster, I have seen the struggles of our industry for a better part of 46 years. I have seen the changes that the companies have had to make to keep up with the ever changing markets and changing economy.

A little over 5 years ago when the first round of pay cuts were voted upon my the members, we were told then that the money that we would be given back would be used to help pay down the debt that had been amassed by the purchase of both Roadway and the USF companies. The second and third round of cuts, we were once again told that these cuts were needed to line up outside money to help pay down the debt and to refinace. So when they came back again this time with the same story, and once again told that this was needed to refinace the debt, then you have to begin to wonder as to what is being done with all of the money that is being given back.

i understand that Mr. Welch came on board and inheritied the problems that we are faced with today. Here is the question that I had proposed to both Mr. Welch and to Mr. Scott Ware when he came and spoke to us in Kansas City. What is your business plan? And if not a plan then what business model are you going to use to see that we are not faced with this again. Neither one would give me a answer.
Now I know that paying down the debt was the main goal, but that is a action, not a plan. The YRCW Corp is faced with some incredible uphill battles. A aging fleet of equipment, a workforce that is getting older and the lack of incoming younger workers to replace those that are retiring. To be a company that is going to grow and expand, you have to have either a business plan or a business model to go off of, and I don't believe that they had either.

I can only wish you and your husband the best. We all are effected by the greed of a prior management group. I can only hope that the powers that be will see fit to try a different approach that will be a positive for all of us.

:guiness:

I don't know where you work but I see my teamster brothers doing this on a daily basis.When you are given triples on a snowy day and have to go a mile and a half out of your way to get a run at a hill just to make it up with out jackkniving and the only thing you get from dispatch is be careful is a disgrace. We in Chicago are sent into a cratered mess they call mo4 and if you get hurt get a letter for not being able to see hole that would be up to the axle if it were water not snow. To have Mr Welch and the BOD come and propose this BS to us was Assinine. How could I vote to loose money and deny raises to others just because they didn't have a cdl. When was the last time Mr Wilson worked a dock when it was 10 below zero? But he was going to get 5 million dollars for a yes vote.I was going to take another pay cut , along with those that were going to get a freeze. They were going to get stock options and I was going to get to work longer for less. Lets agree that they got greedy and never were going to tell us the truth. They messed up by thinking we were to stupid to notice the financial news about our company. This board and the others were instrumental in getting out the word on their dishonesty while they tried to perpetrate their theft of our labor. With all we have learned about their collusion with abf and more than likely ups freight we are now to believe they have our best intentions at the forefront ? Why is it that Mr WELCH can get upset at the amount he makes( his words) for running a multi billion corp, but I am suppose to live with a wage that I was making 11 years ago. Are our labors not entitled to be reimbursed at a fair rate? Why 5 years? he economists on the news are talking how the economy is starting to rebound. Why must we wait for an accounting trick to earn a 1% bounus while the greedsters get theirs buy the quarter . I will go to work and do the best job I can, not because it might impress you but because it is how I was raised. Most of the people I know will do the same unless you tick them off. I think this vote will do more for this company than management will realize, We have taken a stand together, not the union, the workers. When I go to get my bills on the way out the smiles will be a little brighter from the billers and the dock workers will talk a little more to the drivers. Don't believe it? Then you must have been a yes voter.:guiness:

Thank you for the post, Searcher. I know better than to judge most of you guys (and gals) based on the handful of rude, obnoxious ones. As I said before, *most* Teamsters I know are a class act. That includes you. Best of luck to you and yours.

Most likely, he moved the meeting because the votes were just released and it's so late in the day.

Meanwhile, I've got to hand it to Mr. Welch. He gave it his all. Most CEOs wouldn't have taken that job knowing the condition of YRC's finances. If we had a normal economic recovery, the company just might have made it.

Thank you, Mr. Welch, for at least trying.
BS....then they should have rejected their bonuses if they we so concerned on sending a true message to the employees!...KK

This is the one guy that had the skillset to right this ship. He navigated Roadway through the post spinoff days which were tough, he empowered the employees, made them feel like they had a stake in the company. Never threatened or belittled the employees. It's a shame they didn't go after a real freight guy that knew the business top to bottom. Michael Wickham - Forbes