Reddaway | The benifit of being non-union!

I dont believe Reddaway is losing 500K a week, yet I have heard management say so. We are losing money in certain areas of the company because management has the "Big Picture" concept and refuses to adapt to the current economy. As management will always tell you, (You just cant see the big picture) The truth is that comment is always said by suits who either never leave their computer models behind to learn how the trucking business works, or refuse to make the proper changes in areas where they are emotionally involved. For example I dont work in Fontana, yet I understand that it is the true center of the company. Fontana has a higher bill count than the entire states of Washington and Oregan combined. But where is our headquarters? V.P. big Bob Pebble (MisOperations) closes terminals based on personal grudges he has. Designs service areas to reward certain groups and punish others. We might be losing money under certain badly planned circumstances, however at my terminal every local driver brings in 2 to 3 thousand dollars in revenue a day. After you pay all the staff at under 25% of revenue there is still plenty of profit left. Not as much profit as last year when the bill count was higher, but we are still in the black. One last point to keep in mind, YRCW sets goals based on the fees they charge for each terminal, and judge your yard based on those goals, not on your actual O.R. ... BE SAFE
Streaker,
You have obviously educated yourself to understand the industry you work in. The one question I would ask is have you asked your TM to see your terminal P&L? I agree with your driver/revenue ratio but there is much more to the picture than wages. It is a complex cost to income spreadsheet that shows the entire picture. One thing you are right on is the fees each terminal pays to YRC. If you do get to see that P&L, have your TM show you the charges. It’s crazy. YRC took out a loan to buy USF and they collect each terminals money right off the top every month to make that enormous payment. What is left is what your terminal has to operate on and try to be profitable. It is almost impossible.
The terminals that are being shut down are because of overlapping service areas. When times are good the revenue covers up the unproductive issues in service area. When times are lean as they are now, you have to stretch each terminals service area and utilize manpower overtime to the brink. It becomes an enormous viscous circle. Your cutting as fast as you can to make up for lost revenue but by doing so you are cutting your own throat with bad service to your customers and working your drivers to death.
The only savior here is more revenue....that is the ONLY answer. And as I mentioned...Reddaway has not shown it can gain market share.
There are no personal grudges or rewards to certain terminals. There is only scrambling to get this thing under control and into the black.

Also with the cuts to reduce the number of city drivers and a disspatcher who has no back bone pick ups get missed and those customers are going away as well and now I found out that the 15 % pay cut is not just on the hourly wage but also on niteshifts pay differential as well as the $5 a day leadman pay is now $4.25.

Celtic, You have some good info, however you do not know whats happening in So Cal. First, my T.M. shows nobody the numbers, everything is a secret from the drivers. Second, Orange shares a service area with Downey, and it is a fact that Downey has a very small sevice area along the 605 of the best heavy industrial customers. And that Downey has at least 10 local drivers with less senority than the guy on the bottom of Oranges local list. Orange makes pick ups as close as 3 miles from the Downey terminal because the "Pebble" designed all the Less profitable accounts to be serviced by Orange or Compton. Downey drivers never come within 20 miles of the Orange yard. Downey drivers bragg about their personal contact with the V.P. of Operations. They bragg about being promised job protection over Orange drivers. There is such a long list of evidence proving favortisum, but you would have to be here to understand. From trucks, to service on equipment, to how rules and senority are enforced. Defending this crap on your part, just doesnt make any sense to those of us working in the middle of it. And by the way, I dont blame the Downey drivers, I know a lot of them, and they are my brothers. But my advice is; Dont trust the Dictator just because at the moment your not his target, You will find that in time he will treat you just as bad as others. The worst part may be down the line, "The Pebble" is loved by the creeps at our parent company, and may become our next President. Hopefully, even they are not that stupid.

[quote author=truckskillet link=topic=69966.msg735212#msg735212 date=1256374622]
WELL HELL JUST GOT THE GREAT NEWS I AM NOW MAKING $19.45 AN HOUR! THATS GREAT IF YOU LIVE IN A TRAILER IN NORTH DAKOTA. 15% OF $22.88 IS $3.43! THATS LESS THAN WHAT MOST NON-UNION COMPANIES START YOU OUT AT. THATS WHAT SO GREAT ABOUT BEING NON-UNION YOU DONT HAVE TO VOTE ON THE PAYCUT.:biglaugh: THANKS ***** THAT COOL AIDE YOU MAKE IS THE BEST EVER! LETS GIVE A SPECIAL SHOUT OUT TO THE SACRAMENTO LINE DRIVERS WHO VOTED FOR THE DECERT, WOULDNT BE SAD IF THEY GOT A VISIT BY THE REPO-MAN!:eck13::eck13::eck13:
[/quote]

[quote author=yellowchick/sea link=topic=69966.msg738328#msg738328 date=1256790412]
that is exactly what the yrc folks now make with the 15% cut about 600.00 a month it sucks a big one let me tell you this has been going on since 8/01, get used to it. its about enough to survive on and nothing left over for fun.
[/quote]
[size=10pt]It would be enough to live on if the fed's and state's didn't seize their "fair" share.
Don't forget the banksters. In 1930 a $20 gold coin and a $20 bill bought the same amount of bread. Today that $20 gold coin will get you 1100 loaves of bread, and the $20 bill will get you 20 loaves (of cheap crappy bread).
As far as the Union thing; watch for them to hand over their pension funds to the FED's because of past mis-management.
[/size]

Hindsight at this point is moot, but my belief is with the market share reddaway had pre- yrc, we would have weathered this downturned economy with minimal carnage.