ABF | The call last night.

I think $31.867145 might get a yes vote. I was just using rounding.
By the way.... you never answered the question posed as to what other industry or service is union and the union workers make less than the non-union because of great benefits. I suppose that is because you know that it does not exist. You seem to forget that it was the Union that voted to save this company in 2013. We have never gotten back to the pre 2013 wages adjusted for inflation. We need a real cost of living inflation clause in the contract that has NO CAP.
As far a benefits go they should be increased by having holidays as voluntary only with another week of vacation added to the schedule. One week of vacation after a year is completely nuts. Sick days should be increased by at least two more days and perhaps more.
What union jobs are you referring to?
Would you be willing to pay for a portion of your insurance for that significant raise?

Your total compensation is well above everyone now...
Are you kidding me? I do not believe that's true but even it were so what....It's not enough. Are you insane wtf is wrong with you??? Really you should hope and pray they are able to get a decent wage. increase personally I think it's bs whatever it is they are making. I Think it's 26,27 something I don't pay that close attention since the big rip off from yellow nearly destroyed us the first time.Before he quit and went to ABF

$5.00 an hour with everyone working 40 hours a week would cost ABF over 83 million in wages plus the Social Security match and unemployment insurance costs. About $85 million al together.
Using your numbers, if ABF had given us a $5.00 an hour bump in pay for 2021, they would have still made roughly $93-million for that year and an additional $213-million for 2022 in operating income.
I think they can afford it as the total operating income for 2021 was $260.7-million and $381-million for 2022.
That is just shy of $642-million in operating income for those two years alone.
Not to mention, ABF is currently the ArcBest cash cow.
They should take care of the ones that take care of the business!!!
And, your go to phrase about the job only being worth what someone will accept does not work in this situation. Most ABF locations that are hiring can’t find anyone to fill the job as it is now. The young guns don’t give a rats azz about the pension or the health&welfare. They only want to see the fat pay checks at the end of the week.
So why don’t you go back to running your HOA and let those of us that work at ABF worry about our futures!!!

I think I've had this conversation before.
I Work at FedEx freight..
$33.12 an hour...little to no pension...Or you could give up money contributed to a pension to get an 8% match on the 401k.
If You carry company insurance... You pay a portion of that...and its not even in the ballpark with teamcare.
I know because I've worked union and nonunion both..
FedEx last operating ratio was low 80's if I remember correctly...
ABF's was around low 90's if I remember correctly...
From a shareholders perspective... Why would I want the company to pay significantly more for my employees when they are already the top paid in the LTL industry?
And ill also ask my union friends again...would you rather have the FedEx freight job... Or the ABF job as it stands today?
I've said it before.. And ill say it again..I hope you can get as much as possible... It only helps us in the nonunion sector.
We wouldn't be drawing what we are now if it wasn't for the union in the first place.
As far as the OR goes ABF is rarely profitable the first quarter....someone on here said they have lost money (I believe) 28 of the last 30 first quarters....the reason for that is we are more seasonal than most LTLs due to cubes and Upacks (who wants to move in the winter?) We made 24.41 an hour ten years ago.....now we make 26.77 ......if we kept up with inflation that 24.41 in todays dollars is 31.79....now a couple dollars an hour more....20 cents an hour per year? Screw that.....I want a job that pays me fairly, like it was when I started here, not the one this has morphed in to....

Why would we want to drag down our jobs by doing that? Just because others chose to do that doesn't make it a good idea...
That wasnt the point I was making...
The point is your compensated "more" now before any new contract than any LTL in the industry.
I'm saying we are behind...

That wasnt the point I was making...
The point is your compensated "more" now before any new contract than any LTL in the industry.
I'm saying we are behind...
And we want to continue that trend not only for us, but for the industry as a whole. You said it yourself in an earlier post. The better we do, the better the non-unions do. It is just a shame that none of the non’s have an interest in organizing so that we can all do better including better retirement and healthcare coverage.

And we want to continue that trend not only for us, but for the industry as a whole. You said it yourself in an earlier post. The better we do, the better the non-unions do. It is just a shame that none of the non’s have an interest in organizing so that we can all do better including better retirement and healthcare coverage.
It takes a majority brother...
And it takes a union willing to actually help organize people...
We're lacking in both..

It takes a majority brother...
And it takes a union willing to actually help organize people...
We're lacking in both..
In the past, the multi-employer pension plan was a big reason for a lot of the dis-like of organizing with the Teamsters. Now, that problem is in better shape and is mostly ABF’s and Yellow’s problem to deal with.
Maybe now would be a good time for some of the non-union companies to try to organize for better healthcare, a separate pension or 401k plan not connected to a multi-employer pension fund, and better job security with actual contractual work rules that don’t change just because the employer wants to change them.
I agree that in the past, organizers seemed to show little interest in organizing potential members. But, you must understand that the laws about organizing are mostly in the employers favor. That is why the Teamsters expect the people wanting to join to go the extra mile.
But I also know that some employers made lots of promises in the past to avoid becoming a Union company. And most of those promises were broken once the threat of organizing went away.
So maybe it is time for the Teamsters and the non-union employees to take a good look in the mirror and decide if it is time to make the freight industry what it once was. Because once the Union threat is gone for good, there will be nothing left to stop these employers from running it in the ground with low pay, no benefits, and work rules that are non-existent!!!

In the past, the multi-employer pension plan was a big reason for a lot of the dis-like of organizing with the Teamsters. Now, that problem is in better shape and is mostly ABF’s and Yellow’s problem to deal with.
Maybe now would be a good time for some of the non-union companies to try to organize for better healthcare, a separate pension or 401k plan not connected to a multi-employer pension fund, and better job security with actual contractual work rules that don’t change just because the employer wants to change them.
I agree that in the past, organizers seemed to show little interest in organizing potential members. But, you must understand that the laws about organizing are mostly in the employers favor. That is why the Teamsters expect the people wanting to join to go the extra mile.
But I also know that some employers made lots of promises in the past to avoid becoming a Union company. And most of those promises were broken once the threat of organizing went away.
So maybe it is time for the Teamsters and the non-union employees to take a good look in the mirror and decide if it is time to make the freight industry what it once was. Because once the Union threat is gone for good, there will be nothing left to stop these employers from running it in the ground with low pay, no benefits, and work rules that are non-existent!!!
Well stated!