XPO | The Driver Shortages Continue

"Trucking companies continue to scream about a phony driver shortage.

There is NO shortage of drivers.

merely a shortage of drivers willing to live in a truck cab for weeks at a time while earning minimum wage for working 80 hours a week and getting treated like dog poo by everyone from cops to other motorists.
no other industry is allowed to require their employees to work 80 hours or more each week, while NOT paying overtime wages for hours 40 and up
the trucking companies have bribed congress to get an exemption so they dont have to pay the drivers OT
the fedgov rules allow 70 hours of driving time or 11 per day, and the trucking companies demand that you drive 11 hours per day/70 per week, and that doesnt count all the time you are working but NOT getting paid

truckers DO NOT get paid for any of their time unless the wheels are rolling,
spend an hour refueling? not paid
spend three hours sitting in traffic going nowhere? not paid
flat tire? not paid
sitting for 5 hours waiting on the shipper to load your truck? NOT paid
sitting for hours waiting for your truck to get unloaded? not paid
pulling into a weigh station and sitting for 10-45 minutes nine times a day? not paid

when an industry refuses to pay a decent wage for a demanding, crappy job, you will ALWAYS have a shortage of drivers.
and the goal of the trucking companies is to keep this phoney shortage in the news constantly so they can get the govt to allow them to hire foreigners who will work for less money.

if 95% of your employees quit every year, its clear to everyone except you, that youre not paying them enough and/or youre treating them like garbage there is no other explanation. the trucking companies blame everyone except themselves."

- Justin Notherhic ( comments section )
America’s trucker shortage could undermine economy

First paragraph tells you how bad it is. 87 year-old as a new employee - from the ABF board

Last edited:
"Trucking companies continue to scream about a phony driver shortage.

There is NO shortage of drivers.

merely a shortage of drivers willing to live in a truck cab for weeks at a time while earning minimum wage for working 80 hours a week and getting treated like dog poo by everyone from cops to other motorists.
no other industry is allowed to require their employees to work 80 hours or more each week, while NOT paying overtime wages for hours 40 and up
the trucking companies have bribed congress to get an exemption so they dont have to pay the drivers OT
the fedgov rules allow 70 hours of driving time or 11 per day, and the trucking companies demand that you drive 11 hours per day/70 per week, and that doesnt count all the time you are working but NOT getting paid

truckers DO NOT get paid for any of their time unless the wheels are rolling,
spend an hour refueling? not paid
spend three hours sitting in traffic going nowhere? not paid
flat tire? not paid
sitting for 5 hours waiting on the shipper to load your truck? NOT paid
sitting for hours waiting for your truck to get unloaded? not paid
pulling into a weigh station and sitting for 10-45 minutes nine times a day? not paid

when an industry refuses to pay a decent wage for a demanding, crappy job, you will ALWAYS have a shortage of drivers.
and the goal of the trucking companies is to keep this phoney shortage in the news constantly so they can get the govt to allow them to hire foreigners who will work for less money.

if 95% of your employees quit every year, its clear to everyone except you, that youre not paying them enough and/or youre treating them like garbage there is no other explanation. the trucking companies blame everyone except themselves."

- Justin Notherhic ( comments section )
America’s trucker shortage could undermine economy

First paragraph tells you how bad it is. 87 year-old as a new employee - from the ABF board
I cannot relate to the problems that he's bringing up. They don't apply to me here at XPO. I suggest he leave that situation and go somewhere else.

Nice peace on driver shortage...cause it’s true in my area. My scm said the other day that our barn is down 6 drivers right now and we can’t find anyone to fill this positions. Now I learned the other day, if the rumor is true, that Saia LTL has broken ground and is building a terminal about 5 miles from my barn. Bottom line... now it’s really gonna be hard to fill our 6 driver shortfall with this new LTL competitor coming into our turf and hijacking any possible drivers out there looking for work, also tempting to lure seasoned dsr’s From our operation. What can be done to prevent possible driver loses going forward???

Nice peace on driver shortage...cause it’s true in my area. My scm said the other day that our barn is down 6 drivers right now and we can’t find anyone to fill this positions. Now I learned the other day, if the rumor is true, that Saia LTL has broken ground and is building a terminal about 5 miles from my barn. Bottom line... now it’s really gonna be hard to fill our 6 driver shortfall with this new LTL competitor coming into our turf and hijacking any possible drivers out there looking for work, also tempting to lure seasoned dsr’s From our operation. What can be done to prevent possible driver loses going forward???
If you think our safety rule are tough you should see Saia. I hear they are having the same problem everyone else is having. I was told the city drivers at Saia by the XJP barn are barely getting 8 hrs. The Saia down the street from the XYH barn is still hiring over a year later and those guys are working 12+hrs days.
Saia my want to expand but if they don't offer a golden goose to drivers most won't leave were they are at.

Congress eyes truck driver shortage solution
(18 year olds allowed to drive interstate with CDLs)

"A truck driver shortage that’s plaguing American businesses could be solved with the passage of new legislation, which would change a regulation that prevents anyone under the age of 21 from being able to drive commercial vehicles across state lines.

Rep. Duncan Hunter introduced the DRIVE-Safe Act, which would open cross-state truck driving positions to 18-year-olds in March. Hunter said he anticipates the Republican-controlled House will pass the standalone legislation when it goes to a vote.

In 2016, the industry was short more than 36,000 drivers, according to the American Trucking Associations, which expected that number to surpass 63,000 in 2018. By 2026, it could grow to 174,000. The trade group said the industry would need to hire an additional 900,000 drivers by 2026 -- or about 90,000 each year."

- Fox Business

Please do not allow 18 year old children to start driving interstate with CDLs. Bad enough as it is with the lack of training and experience in these large and potentially dangerous vehicles.

Don't let the only thing between safety be an 18 year old and company policies. These two things DO NOT MIX.

You know what , go ahead , let this be passed into law. But , tie it to an overtime after 8 an after 40 provision. And , make CDL holders a recognized skill trade. Experience and pay according to experience will follow you to your next job.

Limit 18 , 19 , and 20 year olds to 50 hours and 5 days a week

18-20 year old military veterans with the “rough equivalent” of CDL training will soon be allowed to cross state lines as part of test program

The Transportation Department has announced the start of a pilot program that will allow young, qualified veterans to get truck driving jobs without the need for additional training.

The pilot program was announced by Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao in Omaha, Nebraska on Tuesday, July 3rd and will be tested for around three years.

According to the Omaha World Herald, the federal pilot jobs program will allow 18 to 20-year-old military veterans and reservists to drive large trucks across state lines if they were given military training that is the “rough equivalent” of a commercial driver’s license.

- Live Trucking

18-20 year old military veterans with the “rough equivalent” of CDL training will soon be allowed to cross state lines as part of test program

The Transportation Department has announced the start of a pilot program that will allow young, qualified veterans to get truck driving jobs without the need for additional training.

The pilot program was announced by Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao in Omaha, Nebraska on Tuesday, July 3rd and will be tested for around three years.

According to the Omaha World Herald, the federal pilot jobs program will allow 18 to 20-year-old military veterans and reservists to drive large trucks across state lines if they were given military training that is the “rough equivalent” of a commercial driver’s license.

- Live Trucking
20 years ago this would have been acceptable. I trained a few ex military back then but I'm not sure today's 20 year old vets have the same experience as back then. It's possible I'm just being "things are different now" guy but I know for sure kids are different.

It’s North American wide. The only way it will change is for shippers and carriers to jack driver wages and rates. Which will put both economies in a minor recession imo. Consumers will see prices spike, and it’s too bad. But companies have kept wages so low and stagnant over the years, there needs to be a spike.

Not true. It's the CEOs that stand to lose. That's why nothing has changed. The shippers are pushing back against the carriers. Not accepting the higher cost. Knowing that there is plenty of money in the system. It's only CEO greed that is in the way.

I doubt it would lead to a recession do to the fact their a bunch of profit still in goods made overseas that's going to the top. Also there's a lot a lot of profit being skimmed at the top in trucking companies that could be more evenly distributed among the workers. No the top is not going to like it.

This is the truth. I have read a lot of articles detailing the current constraints and costs. Shippers know better and are not buying the bullshit.

This driver shortage is self imposed by the trucking companies , I don't have any compassion for them when they can solve it tomorrow if they did the right thing.
I mostly agree. At the risk of sounding like my dad, part of the problem is young people don’t want to work. I have friends in other skilled trades and they have the same problem. Not many kids want to do blue collar jobs.

I mostly agree. At the risk of sounding like my dad, part of the problem is young people don’t want to work. I have friends in other skilled trades and they have the same problem. Not many kids want to do blue collar jobs.
I agree with both of you. The companies can do much better with their relationship with their employees. The young people all expect to start at the top, never working their way up the ladder.

QUOTE="whip1, post: 1281849, member: 38445"]I mostly agree. At the risk of sounding like my dad, part of the problem is young people don’t want to work. I have friends in other skilled trades and they have the same problem. Not many kids want to do blue collar jobs.[/QUOTE]
Too bad I can only"like" this one time! Myself included,parents have provided for them all along , now they expect to be taken care of! We were too busy pounding out a decent living to effectively teach work ethics and responsibility. MY BAD.

You know what , go ahead , let this be passed into law. But , tie it to an overtime after 8 an after 40 provision. And , make CDL holders a recognized skill trade. Experience and pay according to experience will follow you to your next job.

Limit 18 , 19 , and 20 year olds to 50 hours and 5 days a week
Dream on. von.