Central Transport | The Truth about Vitran?? South Bend Terminal?

Ok the people here that have responded , gave you info about our company. Take the job or like fudgie and had enough though you were management. Now I am also. A guy with no Ltl experience is now gonna haul steel??? You said you worked for Coke ?? To much fishy here with your stories. Maybe you are really looking for info. How about it guys were done!!!!!

Ok the people here that have responded , gave you info about our company. Take the job or like fudgie and had enough though you were management. Now I am also. A guy with no Ltl experience is now gonna haul steel??? You said you worked for Coke ?? To much fishy here with your stories. Maybe you are really looking for info. How about it guys were done!!!!!

Care you explain why I am fishy? Just asking questions that all? Its funny how you guys are so paranoid and are now turning on me. Weird.

Worked for Coca Cola for 7 years outside of college. In Merchandising and sales.

Earned my CDL 4 years go. Been over the road and am now local doing a dedicated turn that gets me home everyday. Been with this company since Dec.

Dont like my company. Looking for somethin new. But dont want start job-hopping around.

Saw Vitran was hiring and had several weeks worth of ads. Puts up red flag for me. Companies like Coke, Conway, UPS dont advertise in paper.

Came here because of the active LTL fourms.

Asked Questions.

Got Answers.

Not being accused of being Management? Goodness guys.. Get real.

4+ years otr trucking is in my opinion enough experence for a yard spotter at Steel Warehouse, thats where you start out there and learn when u have no steel hauling exp.

Sorry, I cant explain why the sky is blue or give you the history of the world. But that summerizes where I am today.

Well,if Mark M. is still the terminal manager in SBN he is a douche bag. The drivers like to hang out at his house I guess.Anyway,see if Old Dominion is hiring. FedEx Freight is probably hiring also. Vitran in South Bend is where people go after Fedex Freight fires them,I can think of 5 including Mark.

Care you explain why I am fishy? Just asking questions that all? Its funny how you guys are so paranoid and are now turning on me. Weird.

Worked for Coca Cola for 7 years outside of college. In Merchandising and sales.

Earned my CDL 4 years go. Been over the road and am now local doing a dedicated turn that gets me home everyday. Been with this company since Dec.

Dont like my company. Looking for somethin new. But dont want start job-hopping around.

Saw Vitran was hiring and had several weeks worth of ads. Puts up red flag for me. Companies like Coke, Conway, UPS dont advertise in paper.

Came here because of the active LTL fourms.

Asked Questions.

Got Answers.

Not being accused of being Management? Goodness guys.. Get real.

4+ years otr trucking is in my opinion enough experence for a yard spotter at Steel Warehouse, thats where you start out there and learn when u have no steel hauling exp.

Sorry, I cant explain why the sky is blue or give you the history of the world. But that summerizes where I am today.
flip flop, I understand your not wanting to job hop unfortunately that's the nature of the beast in this industry, before I came here I had 9 jobs in 7 years doing everything from refers to steel, as far as for parionia,there are members of management here who try to fish instead of talking to people face to face, then "punish" people who don't tow the line so a lot of us have learned to watch our backs very close.

Yeah fudgie, I hear ya. Sounds like a big time lack of integrity. That is what I am struggling with at my current outfit. I always found it better to deal with things face to face instead of avoiding the problem. Seems like managment these days struggle with that. I dont know if its over worked or under qualified. Hopefully SBN isnt like that. I am going there to talk to the TM (hopefully) and get an app.

I understand watching your back and "C.Y.A." I hear ya.

I also understand that the industry has a lot of turnover. I totally see that OTR. See it every day. I thought LTL was a different side, kinda like fuel hauling. The industry doesnt have to be this way. But it is, and no one wants to change it.

You know each terminal is so different, you would fair better by trying to catch one of the guys, or two, or three while fueling at the truckstop for a min. or two. Ask them how their terminal manager is, how long they have been there, and hope you get a decent response in return. I'd say go for it, because a good attitude can get you through most bad situations in life. Some people will never be happy, and those are the same people looking for Vitran to be their savior.

But also remember, unless your broke down, linehaul is only mile pay. You may sit 4 hours in Chicago or KC waiting every night, putting in your 13 or 14 total every night, but only getting 350 to 400 a night in miles pay. P&D is strictly hourly, from start to finish, if you sit 4 hours waiting at a Sam's Club, you are on the clock, you cannot punch out unless you are at terminal or motel.

Why not try Dayton on Mishawaka road in Elkhart? Or Estees? I have a friend that works at Pit-Ohio up by Kalamazoo, is that too far for you to drive? Would be glad to put a word in for you if you like. Not sure, but I think they are out by fort Custer?

I also know someone that works in mgmt for town-air on 20 west of the bypass and could put a word in for you with them. I think they use mostly owner operators.

Would not suggest Vitran unless you feel you have no other options.

Dork! You don't know South Bend. So stop being paranoid.
I can tell by the way the guy is talking he is from South Bend. Probably lives on the south or west side.

I hauled steel for a few years in that area, taking treated lumber from Janesville into Lowes and Home Depot, then over to Gary or East Chicago and back to Beloit, Janesville, or Madison. I was on percentage, and the money was better than average, I just had two problems: 1) Appointment loading at USS (real pain when you have to deliver before noon in town, but can't load till after 3pm 2) Heavy enough loads (I got the 40k singles almost all the time, or for more weight run around and do 5 pics in afternoon traffic) others got the 15k triples at single pics, seniority rules $$$$)

Whats different in the City?

Heres my weigh in. Every terminal is different along with every division. I've been with the company for 7 years. I worked for Chris truck line before the the by out. We saw alot of negative changes over the years and very few positives. Vitran made alot of changes and grew very quickly buying out 4 compnies in the matter of 5 years. Keep in mind they bought out companies in the middle of the downward financial crisis. These companies were in and had been in financial distress for a long time. We expanded very quickly. I feel we did not have the management in place to handel such a thing. All of these things the employees have had to endure. We now have alot of new management in place....is that the answer we have looked for...no idea. I do know that I have a job. I do know that 5 years ago I grossed about $55,000 last year $83500. My paychecks have never bounced. No matter what company you drive for they will have problems....I hope that the worst of our problems are behind us and that we are on the upward swing. Yes they are making alot of changes in the company will it benifit everyone...no it will not. Are they working on pay yes. Will it benifit everyone...no probably not. You are getting continuous comments from what 12 current employees? We have 10 drivers at Wichita....Vitran has 1300 drivers...so you are getting opionions of 1% of the company. Good luck.

PJAX was never in financial distress. The troubles stem from the fact that spoke and wheel reship advocates and wave-loading reship supporters simply can not work together. Each group feels their way is the best.

The PJAX people believed that Vitran didn't care and destroyed shipments, and the Vitran people thought that PJAX was arrogant and looked down on Vitran.

That is the root of where Vitran US is at now. Chris & Milan are just footnotes in the struggle.

PJAX was never in financial distress. The troubles stem from the fact that spoke and wheel reship advocates and wave-loading reship supporters simply can not work together. Each group feels their way is the best.

The PJAX people believed that Vitran didn't care and destroyed shipments, and the Vitran people thought that PJAX was arrogant and looked down on Vitran.

That is the root of where Vitran US is at now. Chris & Milan are just footnotes in the struggle.
I agree larmar PJAX buyout was a COMPLETE surprise, what I heard was the hammels wanted to retire and the kids weren't interested in taking over, so instead of just closing down they sold off and retired, I do think the last almost 6 years have been a mess but in my opinion it was a mistake to leave ALL PJAX management in place, I feel they tried to take the mentality of a small family owned regional carrier and carry that over to a large nationwide publicly traded company and it has been a mess. hopefully now that Chris is taking over he will change the mentality.

I worked for one other that "merged" but closer to "bought out" If you buy a company, the worst mistake you can make is to leave managers intact. However, this could have been condition of the buyout too, all white collars stay for "X" amount of time.

I agree larmar PJAX buyout was a COMPLETE surprise, what I heard was the hammels wanted to retire and the kids weren't interested in taking over, so instead of just closing down they sold off and retired, I do think the last almost 6 years have been a mess but in my opinion it was a mistake to leave ALL PJAX management in place, I feel they tried to take the mentality of a small family owned regional carrier and carry that over to a large nationwide publicly traded company and it has been a mess. hopefully now that Chris is taking over he will change the mentality.

The office is all political. The PJAX people, for the most part, will retire or slowing go away. Including MM in South Bend. Chris is the guy that let him go when MM worked at American Freight/Fedex. For example: Dave K. was let go by the PJAX people.