Yellow | The Union vs This Recession Inflation and Yellow

oneofus

Interview Booster for The Droves of Leavers
Credits
It's a damn good thing that the Union is demanding fair wages and more benefits to make up and keep up with this ridiculous inflation. Even with the fed tightening the snowball has already started rolling down the hill and it's obvious we been in a recession longer than they'll admit. The problem is most of these companies will do whatever they can to get the absolute max out of you for the least amount they can get away with and bonus themselvesthe difference, before long a full-time job is gonna be just enough to get you supplemented with a welfare benefit if they don't get this mess under control. Though not on that scale for obvious reasons but Yellow was definitely one of those culprits with that mentality. Let me first say before I go on that I will always love and appreciate Yellow for my brothers and sisters i met and grew up with and for the good times and being the ride I was able to drive in raising my family, But upper management will always be on my sh!t list for driving and steering a goodGreat thing into a hell hole. I didn't see it or just wanted to ignore it because I really really just liked my job and what I earned over a span of 3 decades but it's no way with the 15% the reduced pension the week we gave up and the freight rates during covid this mess should have gotten to this point. I really wanted the company and the Union to come to a middle ground but I also appreciate the Union for not allowing them to PURPOSELY drag us further and further behind industry standards.

Looking at the history of Apollo and getting in bed with loan sharks on our dime is seeming more and more like a planned lose lose for us that actually did the work, we continue to fall further back giving more and more using the loan shark relationship and obviously poor decisions from upper management as the excuse, or shutting down and they rake up the spoils on the backend. Either way, a lose lose for the ones that do the work and a win win for the uppers and the sharks

It's a damn good thing that the Union is demanding fair wages and more benefits to make up and keep up with this ridiculous inflation. Even with the fed tightening the snowball has already started rolling down the hill and it's obvious we been in a recession longer than they'll admit. The problem is most of these companies will do whatever they can to get the absolute max out of you for the least amount they can get away with and bonus themselvesthe difference, before long a full-time job is gonna be just enough to get you supplemented with a welfare benefit if they don't get this mess under control. Though not on that scale for obvious reasons but Yellow was definitely one of those culprits with that mentality. Let me first say before I go on that I will always love and appreciate Yellow for my brothers and sisters i met and grew up with and for the good times and being the ride I was able to drive in raising my family, But upper management will always be on my sh!t list for driving and steering a goodGreat thing into a hell hole. I didn't see it or just wanted to ignore it because I really really just liked my job and what I earned over a span of 3 decades but it's no way with the 15% the reduced pension the week we gave up and the freight rates during covid this mess should have gotten to this point. I really wanted the company and the Union to come to a middle ground but I also appreciate the Union for not allowing them to PURPOSELY drag us further and further behind industry standards.
Here is my question... if the company lives up to the monetary commitment. Will the employees live up to the attendance commitment? I doubt it. I hope every TM strictly upholds the contractual attendance policy as well as tardys... the contract is to be adhered to by both management and labor.

Here is my question... if the company lives up to the monetary commitment. Will the employees live up to the attendance commitment? I doubt it. I hope every TM strictly upholds the contractual attendance policy as well as tardys... the contract is to be adhered to by both management and labor.
They closed around the 30th of last month
We're all absent and tardy and the TMs are too, as far as monetary commitments, they filed bankruptcy about a week ago so thats up to the courts now

And it was. We adhered to the contract that was put before us. Both sides agreed to the attendance policy. I have probably seen 25-30 drivers fired in my 23 years for failing to commit to the attendance policy. That wasn't the reason they/we went out of business. The bottom line is that, they (the company) refused to enforce people actually doing their job. It was never about showing up for work, it was about paying people to not work all day. That's the only reason why they wanted linehaul drivers to work the dock. I know, this post will make some people mad, bottom line..... linehaul drivers did their job. We took the blame for the failure of company/union not being able to come to an agreement. It was never the fault of linehaul. We waited on everyone else.

And it was. We adhered to the contract that was put before us. Both sides agreed to the attendance policy. I have probably seen 25-30 drivers fired in my 23 years for failing to commit to the attendance policy. That wasn't the reason they/we went out of business. The bottom line is that, they (the company) refused to enforce people actually doing their job. It was never about showing up for work, it was about paying people to not work all day. That's the only reason why they wanted linehaul drivers to work the dock. I know, this post will make some people mad, bottom line..... linehaul drivers did their job. We took the blame for the failure of company/union not being able to come to an agreement. It was never the fault of linehaul. We waited on everyone else.
I was on an Indianapolis turn bid one time where I would get 20 to 30hrs a week clock time waiting would take a bobtail to the strip club by the airport, movie theaters and shopping.

Absolute dumbest thing I’ve ever read on here yet. Yellow wanted to compete better next day service and to accomplish that they tried to use Holland work rules. They’ve always had SOME road drivers due a little dock work at velocity or dark terminals to make up for less miles driven. You yellow boys refused to give up your precious runs and let the company try to adapt just a little bit. The union including myself backed you up and now here we are. Just plain ignorance.

Absolute dumbest thing I’ve ever read on here yet. Yellow wanted to compete better next day service and to accomplish that they tried to use Holland work rules. They’ve always had SOME road drivers due a little dock work at velocity or dark terminals to make up for less miles driven. You yellow boys refused to give up your precious runs and let the company try to adapt just a little bit. The union including myself backed you up and now here we are. Just plain ignorance.
We didn't refuse anything. We did everything by the contract. We were never given the chance to accept working the dock, or not. It was never put before us. My guess is that if it was put before us, it would have passed.

Have you ever looked in the back of a Yellow trailer, two different animals. Yellow had mastered “The Art of Manipulation”, with voting and desperation.

We didn't refuse anything. We did everything by the contract. We were never given the chance to accept working the dock, or not. It was never put before us. My guess is that if it was put before us, it would have passed
But paying people to not work all day being the only reason they wanted linehaul to work the dock? C’mon now! They heard you. They had enough information via break room chatter, surveys, this forum to not bring a vote out on it. And no, it would not have passed if it did. Anyway, it doesn’t matter anymore now does it? I’ve had 24 years in here myself and I’ve found another place last week and moved on. I rode this out until the end. Now after hearing about how many creditors they owe and knowing how far back this goes I’m sort of glad now the union tore the bandaid off and forced them to let it bleed out.

It's a damn good thing that the Union is demanding fair wages and more benefits to make up and keep up with this ridiculous inflation. Even with the fed tightening the snowball has already started rolling down the hill and it's obvious we been in a recession longer than they'll admit. The problem is most of these companies will do whatever they can to get the absolute max out of you for the least amount they can get away with and bonus themselves the difference,
When higher labor costs are forced on companies, they charge more for their goods and services. Everybody just ends up paying more, and nobody is farther ahead. That's why your Big Mac meal deal is $10 now. If the market won't support the higher costs the employer loses market share and must reduce workforce accordingly. Unions demanding higher wages isn't a solution that works in the long term, and neither is the minimum wage while we are at it...

When higher labor costs are forced on companies, they charge more for their goods and services. Everybody just ends up paying more, and nobody is farther ahead. That's why your Big Mac meal deal is $10 now. If the market won't support the higher costs the employer loses market share and must reduce workforce accordingly. Unions demanding higher wages isn't a solution that works in the long term, and neither is the minimum wage while we are at it...
Good point but as of now the inflation side of things are so out of hand with no end in sight that someone has to advocate for the people actually working doing the jobs making delivering and servicing the goods that they price
Leave it up to the corporations it's fine by them that we just get priced right out of the market waiting for deflation which they'll make an even bigger problem

Yellows problem was their debt,and poor management from the top down

But paying people to not work all day being the only reason they wanted linehaul to work the dock? C’mon now! They heard you. They had enough information via break room chatter, surveys, this forum to not bring a vote out on it. And no, it would not have passed if it did. Anyway, it doesn’t matter anymore now does it? I’ve had 24 years in here myself and I’ve found another place last week and moved on. I rode this out until the end. Now after hearing about how many creditors they owe and knowing how far back this goes I’m sort of glad now the union tore the bandaid off and forced them to let it bleed out.
Not everyone agrees with you. Like 29,000+ of your former colleagues. Yellow's executive management infected us with a mortal disease 20 years ago. It's called debt-itis. Trying to buy market share instead of earning it through excellent service was just plain stupid. Once Zollars and his stooges did that, they should have integrated Yellow and Roadway. Ditto with the USF block. Then the forced integration in 2009 rendered us onto life support. It's been a slow and painful death, and totally avoidable. The employees who didn't take their job seriously contributed as well. Then there was Sean O'Brien, who drove the final nail into the coffin.