Yellow | The Union vs This Recession Inflation and Yellow

It's a damn good thing that the Union is demanding fair wages and more benefits to make up and keep up with this ridiculous inflation. Even with the fed tightening the snowball has already started rolling down the hill and it's obvious we been in a recession longer than they'll admit. The problem is most of these companies will do whatever they can to get the absolute max out of you for the least amount they can get away with and bonus themselvesthe difference, before long a full-time job is gonna be just enough to get you supplemented with a welfare benefit if they don't get this mess under control. Though not on that scale for obvious reasons but Yellow was definitely one of those culprits with that mentality. Let me first say before I go on that I will always love and appreciate Yellow for my brothers and sisters i met and grew up with and for the good times and being the ride I was able to drive in raising my family, But upper management will always be on my sh!t list for driving and steering a goodGreat thing into a hell hole. I didn't see it or just wanted to ignore it because I really really just liked my job and what I earned over a span of 3 decades but it's no way with the 15% the reduced pension the week we gave up and the freight rates during covid this mess should have gotten to this point. I really wanted the company and the Union to come to a middle ground but I also appreciate the Union for not allowing them to PURPOSELY drag us further and further behind industry standards.
There you have it, the union won..

Looking at the history of Apollo and getting in bed with loan sharks on our dime is seeming more and more like a planned lose lose for us that actually did the work, we continue to fall further back giving more and more using the loan shark relationship and obviously poor decisions from upper management as the excuse, or shutting down and they rake up the spoils on the backend. Either way, a lose lose for the ones that do the work and a win win for the uppers and the sharks
Other companies have done well with Apollo.
Yellow's -problem is they had an unsustainable union contract with work rules that placed them at a severe disadvantage.
Every teamster LTL carrier has dies off for a bunch of reasons, in the end it was work rules that killed them off.
There are only 2 left, we will see what happens to them..
It was going to be debt or some other reason no matter, history proves it was going to end...

Not everyone agrees with you. Like 29,000+ of your former colleagues. Yellow's executive management infected us with a mortal disease 20 years ago. It's called debt-itis. Trying to buy market share instead of earning it through excellent service was just plain stupid. Once Zollars and his stooges did that, they should have integrated Yellow and Roadway. Ditto with the USF block. Then the forced integration in 2009 rendered us onto life support. It's been a slow and painful death, and totally avoidable. The employees who didn't take their job seriously contributed as well. Then there was Sean O'Brien, who drove the final nail into the coffin
Not disagreeing with most of what you said there but 22,000 people were not willing to work without health insurance. Sean O’Brien was the one who relayed that message to them. If any nails were driven into the coffin it was done by management, one by one for the last 15 years.

Not disagreeing with most of what you said there but 22,000 people were not willing to work without health insurance. Sean O’Brien was the one who relayed that message to them. If any nails were driven into the coffin it was done by management, one by one for the last 15 years.
O'Brien failed to respond or address the yearlong pleas from Yellow to sit down and negotiate an agreement that let Yellow continue to operate and employ 30,000 employee bread winners. His strategy was to ignore them and hope they went away. His strategy worked. Yellow went away.

We didn't refuse anything. We did everything by the contract. We were never given the chance to accept working the dock, or not. It was never put before us. My guess is that if it was put before us, it would have passed.
There is a guy came over to Estes from T force. He was getting no miles and wanted to work the dock but they wouldnt let him because he was a driver. So instead of starving he left them. It should be up to the individual and company if said driver wants to work, but everyone who doesnt want to whines and complains because they think they may have to so said person doesnt get the opportunity. Its not just union companies its at most places where someone has to be involved in your business that has nothing to do with them. To many nosey people.

O'Brien failed to respond or address the yearlong pleas from Yellow to sit down and negotiate an agreement that let Yellow continue to operate and employ 30,000 employee bread winners. His strategy was to ignore them and hope they went away. His strategy worked. Yellow went away.
Make you kind of wonder if he was paid off. Todays world nothing would surprise me

Yeah, you’re right as usual. It’s all his fault. With the multiple contract negotiations and active strikes going on all at the same time the IBT should’ve just pushed them all aside and solely focus on Yellow who’s contract wasn’t up until next year. Thinking that was his strategy all along to help terminate an entire dues paying company is asinine.

Yeah, you’re right as usual. It’s all his fault. With the multiple contract negotiations and active strikes going on all at the same time the IBT should’ve just pushed them all aside and solely focus on Yellow who’s contract wasn’t up until next year. Thinking that was his strategy all along to help terminate an entire dues paying company is asinine.
Oh, I forgot, the nation's largest trade union can only handle three contracts a year. Twenty-two vice presidents and three international trustees and there was no one who had time to sit at a table with yellow.
Yellow was an embarrassment to the IBT. The big tuff Teamsters union had 22,000 disgruntled members complaining about a substandard contract. As long as there was Yellow, places like TB would be complaining about pay and benefits. Yellow needed to go. What better time than during a freight recession? Yellow is gone and freight is still getting moved without any supply chain disruptions. The only people still talking about Yellow are the former employees. Everyone else in the country has moved on. Yellow has been forgotten in less than a month.
Your hero Sean O'Brien announced his intentions to the world with a tombstone on the internet. Death to Yellow was the rallying cry. Pay the rate or lock the gate. Congratulations on a job well done.

So……March 23, 2023 was the date the Teamsters informed Yellow that the Phase 2 COO’s was in violation of Article XII of the Teamster Constitution as well as the current contract language. Explain to me how that adds up to a yearlong of pleas. My math and your math are obviously much different!!!

Oh, I forgot, the nation's largest trade union can only handle three contracts a year. Twenty-two vice presidents and three international trustees and there was no one who had time to sit at a table with yellow.
Yellow was an embarrassment to the IBT. The big tuff Teamsters union had 22,000 disgruntled members complaining about a substandard contract. As long as there was Yellow, places like TB would be complaining about pay and benefits. Yellow needed to go. What better time than during a freight recession? Yellow is gone and freight is still getting moved without any supply chain disruptions. The only people still talking about Yellow are the former employees. Everyone else in the country has moved on. Yellow has been forgotten in less than a month.
Your hero Sean O'Brien announced his intentions to the world with a tombstone on the internet. Death to Yellow was the rallying cry. Pay the rate or lock the gate. Congratulations on a job well done.
What don’t you understand? The contract wasn’t up until next year and everyone involved knew that. The union told them from the start they won’t be ready until August after the surveys are sent back. It’s called a process and to your surprise, sometimes it’s takes time which all of a sudden, the company didn’t have. Out of the 11 divisions in the union there’s only one freight division. Would it be fair to have the food processing division negotiate a freight contract because of all the other issues going on with freight? Either way it’s over with and all old news already. You all can voice your opinions and spread your theories all day long. Truly though, I wouldn’t trust this entire upper deck executive level management team to manage a lemonade stand. Being a manager of a failed company isn’t something I’d want on my resume. Good luck to all of them.

There is a guy came over to Estes from T force. He was getting no miles and wanted to work the dock but they wouldnt let him because he was a driver. So instead of starving he left them. It should be up to the individual and company if said driver wants to work, but everyone who doesnt want to whines and complains because they think they may have to so said person doesnt get the opportunity. Its not just union companies its at most places where someone has to be involved in your business that has nothing to do with them. To many nosey people.
Very often at union LTL Jobs the workers are more concerned about what every other employee is doing rather than being focused on their own job well.
Not sure why but in my experience it is a fixation at union LTL jobs.
If they do not want to do something No One Can....

What don’t you understand? The contract wasn’t up until next year and everyone involved knew that. The union told them from the start they won’t be ready until August after the surveys are sent back. It’s called a process and to your surprise, sometimes it’s takes time which all of a sudden, the company didn’t have. Out of the 11 divisions in the union there’s only one freight division. Would it be fair to have the food processing division negotiate a freight contract because of all the other issues going on with freight? Either way it’s over with and all old news already. You all can voice your opinions and spread your theories all day long. Truly though, I wouldn’t trust this entire upper deck executive level management team to manage a lemonade stand. Being a manager of a failed company isn’t something I’d want on my resume. Good luck to all of them.
With 30,000 jobs at stake it should have been all hands on deck.. Non stop until it is fixed!
Unless the teamsters wanted Yellow gone for some strange reason..
Once the COO was turned down negotiations should have continued non stop to end the cash hemorrhaging.
Instead SOB was gleefully watching 30,000 workers lose their jobs.
And exactly how is SOB helping the 30,000 unemployed find new jobs today???
After all he proudly put them out of work...
Tough guys do that....

With 30,000 jobs at stake it should have been all hands on deck.. Non stop until it is fixed!
Unless the teamsters wanted Yellow gone for some strange reason..
Once the COO was turned down negotiations should have continued non stop to end the cash hemorrhaging.
Instead SOB was gleefully watching 30,000 workers lose their jobs.
And exactly how is SOB helping the 30,000 unemployed find new jobs today???
After all he proudly put them out of work...
Tough guys do that....
I agree that both sides could’ve done things differently but most people on here are quick to blame only one. Explain to me this, why would a company throw an offer on the table and then retract it last minute? “Oops, sorry guys. Our offer isn’t good anymore.” IMO this garbage company never had it. It was a bluff to get the union to blink. And the union is the one playing games?

Tough guys do that....
Whiney union hating guys get on every union thread and talk trash....
Very often at union LTL Jobs the workers are more concerned about what every other employee is doing rather than being focused on their own job well.
Not sure why but in my experience it is a fixation at union LTL jobs.
If they do not want to do something No One Can....
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit Puffy....The poster said at non union jobs guys do get nosey also....I have worked both and have seen it at both....

I agree that both sides could’ve done things differently but most people on here are quick to blame only one. Explain to me this, why would a company throw an offer on the table and then retract it last minute? “Oops, sorry guys. Our offer isn’t good anymore.” IMO this garbage company never had it. It was a bluff to get the union to blink. And the union is the one playing games?
Because it was already too late. The strike threat decimated their freight volume. The many weeks between the offer and the "acceptance" were weeks Yellow was burning through cash. Yellow was in shutdown mode, and nothing could have saved them.

Because it was already too late. The strike threat decimated their freight volume. The many weeks between the offer and the "acceptance" were weeks Yellow was burning through cash. Yellow was in shutdown mode, and nothing could have saved them.
All this happened in the matter of 2-3 weeks. You make it sound like they’ve been sitting on that offer all year. Of course, you believe whatever the company tells you and that’s ok. You have that right to be closed minded and not want to see or hear the true facts. No information in my barn, union or not, went past me and I can assure you that offer was thrown at us last minute and then retracted with a story that said the union had it for months. “You see? Look what the union is doing to poor Yellow!” You bought it, though. Thanks for coming on here to help the company spread misinformation. If they reopen I’m sure they’ll save a special spot for you in the communications department.
And it was the cancellation of our insurance that decimated the freight volume, not the strike. One thing happened before the other. Again, facts are important.

Yellow got what they deserved. Why continue to talk about them. Isn’t their another form for companies that went out of business, please moderator, move yellow treads over to the gone but not forgotten section.

Now that the bankruptcy filing has occurred, it's pretty clear that the company offers were not really legitimate and were unlikely to create the needed cash for ongoing operations at a rate Apollo could stomach. I'm betting when IBT got a look at the financials, they understood that additional concessions were unlikely to work. If that's the case why negotiate? I'm also pretty sure the last few rounds of concessions by the IBT were done with the recognition that bankruptcy was a foregone conclusion.
As I've said in earlier posts - the 2019 contract was the last time management/IBT had any ability to influence the ultimate outcome. The lack of merger upon purchase done for any acquisition since 2008(ish) coupled with taking on too much debt doomed this company. Hard for me to blame IBT for the companies lack of merging the acquired companies.
To me, the major IBT problem was not telling the membership to bail earlier when it's clear everyone knew this company was bankrupt and couldn't make a profit. If I were the head of IBT back in 2019 I would have told the membership - this is the best we can do and it's probably not going to work so you may want to push a transition.