Yellow | There's no way!

Le$$

TB Lurker
Credits
I was just wondering how we plan on updating our fleet of roughly 8700 tractors. According to yahoo financial we only have about 170 million cash on hand and we have to keep the majority of that without spending it. The last cuts we took would save the company about 50 million a year but we can't count that because the money was never really there. One new tractor cost about $90,000 bucks and to replace one third of our fleet would cost about 250 million dollars. Our freight prices are the lowest around so how do we do it? Raise rates? Down size? Barrow more money? This isn't even taking into account the trailers we need or the goats we need or the forklifts we need and only would cover one third of the trucks needed! It doesn't add up.

I was just wondering how we plan on updating our fleet of roughly 8700 tractors. According to yahoo financial we only have about 170 million cash on hand and we have to keep the majority of that without spending it. The last cuts we took would save the company about 50 million a year but we can't count that because the money was never really there. One new tractor cost about $90,000 bucks and to replace one third of our fleet would cost about 250 million dollars. Our freight prices are the lowest around so how do we do it? Raise rates? Down size? Barrow more money? This isn't even taking into account the trailers we need or the goats we need or the forklifts we need and only would cover one third of the trucks needed! It doesn't add up.

You needn't wonder.....Just sit back....do your Job and watch how it all unfolds...... Why stress about something that you have no control over....

Simple, they won't utilize cash to purchase. They will just dig a bigger hole, kicking the can further down the road. The cost of doing business for YRCW is unsustainable, it's just a matter of how long. Someone will lease them tractors with a big balloon payment due that they won't be able to make, the lessor will trade for some equity.

Raising the rates isn't the answer unless you can raise it a higher percentage than the volume you will lose. If you raise prices 5% and volume decreases 5%, you could be better off as the revenue would be the same, but what happens when you lose 10% of the volume?

Bottom line is YRCW still spends way too much on labor to move $1 of freight. How they fix that, only time will tell.

Your question is a good one. Actually, the tractors cost slightly more than that, closer to $100K. What we as drivers need to do is take really good care of what we have to work with, because replacement is a difficult proposition. There has been a fair amount of "refurb"; taking a million-mile tractor, putting an engine and a seat plus other components as required, and putting it back out on the road. That expense is about $25K and up. That is a pretty good stop-gap measure, but it's not enough. We simply have to take care of the equipment, take care of business and do our jobs really well. That's our best hope.

Maybe we can buy another company on credit .sell their good equipment and fix a couple of our junks up .that should hold us over .duct tape is fairly cheap

Simple, they won't utilize cash to purchase. They will just dig a bigger hole, kicking the can further down the road. The cost of doing business for YRCW is unsustainable, it's just a matter of how long. Someone will lease them tractors with a big balloon payment due that they won't be able to make, the lessor will trade for some equity.

Raising the rates isn't the answer unless you can raise it a higher percentage than the volume you will lose. If you raise prices 5% and volume decreases 5%, you could be better off as the revenue would be the same, but what happens when you lose 10% of the volume?

Bottom line is YRCW still spends way too much on labor to move $1 of freight. How they fix that, only time will tell.
If in your opinion YRC is doomed no matter what then why all the rah rah speeches?

Your right, it does`nt add up. I think that it would be a pretty good guess they will be doing more leasing in the future. It doe`snt really address the problem long term but it puts a band aid on things for a little while longer. I`m sure that reduction of operational costs ( wages and benefits ) will continue to be something that is looked at to address cap expenditures.

They already had that chance. Guess who blew it?

And the people moving 2.5 bills per hour, hooking mavbe 1 set per hour, making less than 6 switches per hour, and making 1.5 stops per hour, they had no hand in this either?

big r guy you seem to be an expert on all aspects of freight .maybe you should go out and teach them how to do it your way .those that can do those that cant teach as they say

I was just wondering how we plan on updating our fleet of roughly 8700 tractors. According to yahoo financial we only have about 170 million cash on hand and we have to keep the majority of that without spending it. The last cuts we took would save the company about 50 million a year but we can't count that because the money was never really there. One new tractor cost about $90,000 bucks and to replace one third of our fleet would cost about 250 million dollars. Our freight prices are the lowest around so how do we do it? Raise rates? Down size? Barrow more money? This isn't even taking into account the trailers we need or the goats we need or the forklifts we need and only would cover one third of the trucks needed! It doesn't add up.[/QUOTE

Just add the cost into the refi & the labor force will never know.
Simple Minded Solution ( YRC Specialty )

Because there are things they can do to buy more time...that's good for most involved isn't it?
I guess it's like cancer, would you rather go thru chemo and live a poor quality of life a little longer or just be gone a little earlier. I personally don't see how it's better. At least if they close and you know when you can be prepared a little better.

Your right, it does`nt add up. I think that it would be a pretty good guess they will be doing more leasing in the future. It doe`snt really address the problem long term but it puts a band aid on things for a little while longer. I`m sure that reduction of operational costs ( wages and benefits ) will continue to be something that is looked at to address cap expenditures.
So in you view we should be prepared for more givebacks is that it? This is why we just gave back so a group of educated idiots could solve the problem. WHAT IS THE PLAN? More stealing from the employee?