ODFL | Third Factor in Yield Management: time

I didn't read it because I'm probably one of the busiest drivers you'll ever meet, but does it say anything about making us pretrip the truck, check our loads, hook and be out the gate by 15 mins?

What a joke!

I didn't read it because I'm probably one of the busiest drivers you'll ever meet, but does it say anything about making us pretrip the truck, check our loads, hook and be out the gate by 15 mins?

What a joke!

Yea they are really getting on guys about their yard time. They allow 20 min at the beginning, and 20 min at the end of the day. Some days it's no problem, other days it's just not possible. Issues with the load, waiting on dispatch to get your assignment, get your pallet jack, check out the load(once you find your trailer of course) pre trip truck and trailer etc etc. I come back to the yard multiple times a day because I don't have a route... My yard time is through the roof, and I have been talked to about more than a few times. I honestly try and hustle to keep times low, but like I said, sometimes it's just not possible.

Yea they are really getting on guys about their yard time. They allow 20 min at the beginning, and 20 min at the end of the day. Some days it's no problem, other days it's just not possible. Issues with the load, waiting on dispatch to get your assignment, get your pallet jack, check out the load(once you find your trailer of course) pre trip truck and trailer etc etc. I come back to the yard multiple times a day because I don't have a route... My yard time is through the roof, and I have been talked to about more than a few times. I honestly try and hustle to keep times low, but like I said, sometimes it's just not possible.

What is happening to the company ? Where are heading ? Comments ?

I always clocked dock when I had to rework a load. Make sure you put yourself on fueling delay or shop delay when called for. And remember, they are looking at an average. Some days are better then others. 20 minutes is doable if you don't have to hbook a set.

safety.... let them talk all they want... put out the s-a-f-e-t-y clause... your lively hood,your career and your license !!!
do all things in accordance to the F.M.C.S.A.

I always clocked dock when I had to rework a load. Make sure you put yourself on fueling delay or shop delay when called for. And remember, they are looking at an average. Some days are better then others. 20 minutes is doable if you don't have to hbook a set.

Dude this isn't fedex. We clock in as drivers, dock workers clock in as dock workers.

My ATM has mentioned the same thing about clocking in on dock when you have to rework a load. I agree that some days 20 mins is doable, but other days everything seems to get in your way.

Reactions: Ump
safety.... let them talk all they want... put out the s-a-f-e-t-y clause... your lively hood,your career and your license !!!
do all things in accordance to the F.M.C.S.A.

Totally agree man. I've brought that up, as far as, "do you want me to skimp on my pre trip to save yard time?" The response is always "no" but still they want you to work magic and make things happen in 20 minutes.

Dude this isn't fedex. We clock in as drivers, dock workers clock in as dock workers.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, my ATM says to clock in as dock when you have issues come up where it's going to take time to get out of the yard. I don't have a problem doing that... If anyone says anything all I'll say is, Hey he said to do it that way... Take it up with him. I understand you've been around for a while man, but you seem very unhappy with the company... Maybe it's time for a change. I heard Fedex is hiring.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, my ATM says to clock in as dock when you have issues come up where it's going to take time to get out of the yard. I don't have a problem doing that... If anyone says anything all I'll say is, Hey he said to do it that way... Take it up with him. I understand you've been around for a while man, but you seem very unhappy with the company... Maybe it's time for a change. I heard Fedex is hiring.

New guys would love for me to do that so they can bottom feed whatever it is they think I do around this place. Get a few years in of driving truck and you'll see things aren't so peachy as this place spirals downhill.

Billy 3.0 must be a long term troll here....I don't see how someone can be that miserable about a good job with a good company. If it weren't for OD he'd be on the road 4 weeks at a time with Swift and making 45k per year. Some people don't know how good they have it.

Reactions: Ump
I haven't been with them long enough to know that. Seems like they're focused on growth... Good and bad come along with that. I'm still very happy to work here.

We do a good job with our service and with Pricing according to our costs. The LTL industry has grown and due to those factors we are grabbing market share.

Yep...it's the same rate -- just charges the right dept for the labor cost.
You mean it doesn't make you second class citizen? According to some, being a dock worker puts you just ahead of being a line driver and way above coming from FedEx. I'm both, yet make more then the overtime gang in Washington. Drives him crazy that a low life like me makes more then him.

Billy 3.0 must be a long term troll here....I don't see how someone can be that miserable about a good job with a good company. If it weren't for OD he'd be on the road 4 weeks at a time with Swift and making 45k per year. Some people don't know how good they have it.

And you're not a troll? You can't even prove you work here!

Yep...it's the same rate -- just charges the right dept for the labor cost.

I'm a city driver and I'll clock in as one. Don't hire absolute dummies to work the dock so my freight is loaded right and I can get out of here on time.

You mean it doesn't make you second class citizen? According to some, being a dock worker puts you just ahead of being a line driver and way above coming from FedEx. I'm both, yet make more then the overtime gang in Washington. Drives him crazy that a low life like me makes more then him.

Yeah must be nice to make that much just holding a steering wheel. Keep getting out of shape while I stay buff and sexy unloading my truck all day.