This is a tad tricky what to do?

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
Hi guys,

Here are some new interesting developments, so I was "pre hired" on by US Xpress which is cool.
Then I was also being heavily considered by a charter bus company in Lexington, Ohio they seemed fairly serious about hiring me especially after I told them I already have taken and passed the passenger bus test, they liked that quite a bit ha-ha.

Then today I got a call from a beer company I applied to work at 2-3 weeks ago they wanted to talk to me about being a driver helper.
My gut says while it's dedicated over the road far from home US Xpress maybe the best option. The bus company wouldn't be bad and the quality of life in bus is far superior to that of OTR trucking there's no real debate on that, a guy in my class is a 26 year veteran of the charter bus industry and he told us how it is working for the bus companies and he said flat out last week they had us staying at a Westin Hotel in Washington DC, you don't get that to much with trucking. He said they don't always stay at nice hotels like the Westin, but they stay at okay places in general.

He said bus really isn't bad like if you have a group in Florida once you drop them off at whatever amusement park they are supposed to go to or where ever your pretty much on your own and can do what ever just make sure your back in time to pick them up at the end of the day. It really doesn't sound like a bad life.

That being said however bus experience is only good in the bus and maybe some of the class B world. Actually I have no real beef with the class B world I know there is a cement truck company in Cleveland that is always looking for Class A or Class B drivers, same with a lot of the garbage truck companies.
That's another good question what do you guys think of the garbage truck companies? I know garbage truck is mostly class B work and it's pretty much local, the one thing about garbage truck is, I mean I've never heard of a slow down in the garbage truck business garbage is like death and taxes it's pretty much a certainty.

The beer company, I don't know my truck driving needs some polishing, I can pass the CDL test when it's time, but I could use some more work on driving and getting over the initial nervousness and as we have talked about already beer companies are not really in business to break in new people, freight companies like your Schneider's and Werner's while there in business to move freight they have had to take to breaking in new people not that every trainer is good, but to me I guess the text book traditional route seems to be the way things are going. I mean in my case anything I ever got good at I was really bad at in the beginning. I am by no means a natural to truck driving ha-ha oh goodness gravy my first couple times behind the wheel out on the road I was a wreck. The third time out in the truck though I was better not nearly as bad, it wasn't perfect, but I was less nervous and was better at shifting up and was thinking of the time Sugarfoot told me "I know your new, but really try hard not to freewheel." so I was conscious of all of that and doing my best not to freewheel.

The thing about the beer company, is I'm not sure that it's the best way to spend my time, even with a CDL I wouldn't be worth very much to them as a driver because of the sheer lack of experience and being a route helper which is what I have originally applied for isn't really a job that pays all that great, so I'm thinking that might just be a sideways move. I'm half tempted to figure if US Xpress is willing to let me work out the kinks on there dime, then I guess that's probably where I should go, it's only 12-24 months at US Xpress it's not forever I'll make the most of it, beats being miserable and then I'll have some experience under my belt and go from there.

Mike

Never been to trucker school. I learned to drive on the farm. I did a few months OTR way back when, and decided it wasn't for me. I hauled dirt in trains in Michigan, then into the foodservice world, both of which are fast paced jobs that'll make or break a driver. Totally different, yet share some of the same aspects.

If you can live out of a truck, then go for it. Hope you get a good trainer that knows the ropes, get comfortable and get some miles. Companies like mine don't hire new drivers

Route helper might not be a bad gig if there is the possiblity (even likelihood) of advancement.

I've always wanted to try driving a mixer. Always looked like a new and different challenge to me. A lot of the transit mix companies around here have dumps to bring their own materials in, and may present an opportunity there.

I hate landfills. Spent enough time in them to know I could never haul rubbish.

Never wanted to drive a bus. The responsibilty of my own safety and everyone else on the road is enough for me, without the addition of a load of people.

Just my thoughts.

Hi Mike, OTR Companies will put a negative taste in your mouth about trucking, on many levels. Turn-over rates at those carriers is near 200%. Does Swift or JB Hunt (DCS) or NFI have any Rail or Logistics terminals near you. They will at least put you in a day cab (logistics work) and you will sleep in your own bed, not a truck bunk. You won't set the world on fire, but you will get experience. I'm a Teamster 1976-present. I work for YRC Freight (35 yrs.) in Hsbg., PA. If your live near Akron or Cleveland you can apply on line and see what happens, they might start you out in the yard, which would give you plenty of drop & hook and backing experience, and some shifting two or three gears...yard speed limit is 10 mph. Maybe even a road trip on your days off. Other great choices would be ABF, UPS (F), UPS(P). Same scenarios. Keep us posted

Mike,
US Xpress has ALL AUTOMATIC trucks. You will shoot your self in the foot. IF you really want to go OTR for the experience:
A)Find a company that had manual trucks
B)Find a company that has dedicated accounts in your area. Try Schnider, they have a terminal in Seville and a ton of trailers in Orrville

Hi Mike, OTR Companies will put a negative taste in your mouth about trucking, on many levels. Turn-over rates at those carriers is near 200%. Does Swift or JB Hunt (DCS) or NFI have any Rail or Logistics terminals near you. They will at least put you in a day cab (logistics work) and you will sleep in your own bed, not a truck bunk. You won't set the world on fire, but you will get experience. I'm a Teamster 1976-present. I work for YRC Freight (35 yrs.) in Hsbg., PA. If your live near Akron or Cleveland you can apply on line and see what happens, they might start you out in the yard, which would give you plenty of drop & hook and backing experience, and some shifting two or three gears...yard speed limit is 10 mph. Maybe even a road trip on your days off. Other great choices would be ABF, UPS (F), UPS(P). Same scenarios. Keep us posted

JB Hunt has a Final Mile Service terminal in Solon, Ohio. JB Hunt also has a main terminal in Columbus, Ohio. In addition to that Norfolk Southern has an intermodal terminal in Maple Heights, Ohio and JB Hunt has a lot of trucks stationed out there at the NS intermodal terminal.

CSX has an intermodal terminal in Cleveland and I think JB has some trucks there as well.

My dad used to be a line haul driver for Roadway Package Service and he always said that LTL linehaul or private fleets are the way to go. He was never a big fan of these major truck load carriers. I see Swift containers and Schneider containers some, but mostly JB Hunt it seems they have the Cleveland market pretty well taken care of.

Polyone has a plant in Elyria, Ohio and Schneider is there dedicated contract fleet hauler and they do have openings on Schneiders job board for the Polyone account, it's regional like you said it's nothing that will set the world on fire, but the pay looks to be okay and the job is mostly regional with better home time.

I was going to do dedicated at US Xpress the tip I got was the Ceva account for US Xpress is pretty good, you pull Ceva trailers which are actually really well maintained to Ceva warehouses it's mostly logistics type stuff, I guess Ceva's warehouses are near most major interstates and are set up for trucks to get in and out of without much trouble. Although running teams for USX there will be a lot of living out of a suit case. With a team at USX you should defiantly make $60,000 at the end of the year. The USX driver I talked to said "You have to get on a dedicated account and not Family Dollar or Dollar General those are garbage accounts which is why they can't find anyone to do them, the stores have goofy appointment times and no matter how hard you try eventually you miss your delivery appointment times and then you have to waste all kinds of time setting up a new appointment time."

Polyone Dedicated for Schneider is right in my area, though and it's not really over the road I read the description they say "weekly time at home" what does that mean? Does that mean you go out for a couple nights and then come back in around Thursday or Friday? I mean I can live with going somewhere staying over night for a day or two that's not a big deal to me, and that job is close to home, it is in my area probably isn't a bad job for a person to start off with. Schneider has been around a long time and breaks in a lot of new people so it's probably not a bad start. I did apply for that job, I'll see what they say if they say anything at all. It is literally close to home which is good and I know Schneider is a good company for a new person like me, it's probably a good start.

Mike,
US Xpress has ALL AUTOMATIC trucks. You will shoot your self in the foot. IF you really want to go OTR for the experience:
A)Find a company that had manual trucks
B)Find a company that has dedicated accounts in your area. Try Schnider, they have a terminal in Seville and a ton of trailers in Orrville

Schneider has a better account in my area in Elyria for PolyOne it's more regional which is just as good. So I applied to that might end up going that way instead it makes the most sense.

Schneider has a better account in my area in Elyria for PolyOne it's more regional which is just as good. So I applied to that might end up going that way instead it makes the most sense.
To answer your question from your previous post about "weekly hometime"(i'm not going quote the whole post). Weekly home time is just that, 1.5-2 days at home. You MAY get home more during the week, you MAY NOT. Most accounts like that, you run out, come back either empty or grab a load near your delivery and deliver near your dedicated account and then go to your dedicated account and grab another load. You may have time to stop at home, you may not. Most likely, you will get home sometime friday and then have to leave sometime sunday. How far is Winterville from you? Schnider has a Wal-mart dedicated grocery account there and I have heard good things about it. Run within 250 miles of Wintersville, work 6, off 2 in a row. Not sure how far out from Wintersville they hire though and they do take new drivers.

Never been to trucker school. I learned to drive on the farm. I did a few months OTR way back when, and decided it wasn't for me. I hauled dirt in trains in Michigan, then into the foodservice world, both of which are fast paced jobs that'll make or break a driver. Totally different, yet share some of the same aspects.

If you can live out of a truck, then go for it. Hope you get a good trainer that knows the ropes, get comfortable and get some miles. Companies like mine don't hire new drivers

Route helper might not be a bad gig if there is the possiblity (even likelihood) of advancement.

I've always wanted to try driving a mixer. Always looked like a new and different challenge to me. A lot of the transit mix companies around here have dumps to bring their own materials in, and may present an opportunity there.

I hate landfills. Spent enough time in them to know I could never haul rubbish.

Never wanted to drive a bus. The responsibilty of my own safety and everyone else on the road is enough for me, without the addition of a load of people.

Just my thoughts.

The beer company liked the fact that I was in school and less then 60 days (should be like end of this month) out from obtaining my Class A CDL also I deliver hard liquor for the state liquor agency so I have been in the beverage delivery business and stop at the exact same bars and restaurants they do.
The bus company liked the fact that I had a valid medical card and could run to the BMV right now and go get my Class B CDL with Passenger Bus Endorsement.

You know as for truck school, it's got it's good points and bad points. Over all I don't have any major beefs with any of the instructors, there all okay guys I mean I wouldn't go out of my way to invite them over for dinner, but if they showed up at my house I would feed them. The school actually tries to do a good job, my biggest beef with school is at times there is a definite lack of organization, but the instructors all mean well, they sometimes have an odd way of showing it, but they do mean well. I live in the city and going to school kind of felt like the right thing to do.
I know you hear a lot of horror stories about truck driving school, I can say the school I go to as far as training really isn't like that. I mean I have been forced to up shift and forced to down shift and you know out on the highway and all over, it hasn't been bad.

I've practiced the backing maneuvers in the yard at school and actually on the weekends especially Sunday it's a pretty low key day at school and I been able to practice as much as I want, so it's not all bad, obviously I still have reservations of my own, so I know it hasn't prepared me for everything, but it was a start.

I worked in the restaurant business before going to truck school and where I worked we hustled ha-ha I was the person who put the food away when Sysco delivered it.

To answer your question from your previous post about "weekly hometime"(i'm not going quote the whole post). Weekly home time is just that, 1.5-2 days at home. You MAY get home more during the week, you MAY NOT. Most accounts like that, you run out, come back either empty or grab a load near your delivery and deliver near your dedicated account and then go to your dedicated account and grab another load. You may have time to stop at home, you may not. Most likely, you will get home sometime friday and then have to leave sometime sunday. How far is Winterville from you? Schnider has a Wal-mart dedicated grocery account there and I have heard good things about it. Run within 250 miles of Wintersville, work 6, off 2 in a row. Not sure how far out from Wintersville they hire though and they do take new drivers.

Schneider has a lot of good points really, they have a lot of options, there pay is okay, it's not as good as food service, but it's not the worst either, they have a lot of big time customers and they have a very good safety record and generally do a good job of keeping everything moving.
Wintersville, is a little ways away from Cleveland, I live 185 city blocks from the center of downtown Cleveland. PolyOne in Elyria is 20 miles from my home, actually it maybe a tad less then 20 miles to tell you the truth.

I'm cool with 1.5-2 days at home that's fine, I see Schneider day cabs on I-90 pulling PolyOne trailers so I knew the plant existed and knew the accounts existed. I mean out and back sounds fine to me, I have no problem with it. The bus business is a lot of out and back, or go rent a car stay at a hotel and when the bus comes in you relieve the other driver and then keep on moving.

Schneider has a lot of good points really, they have a lot of options, there pay is okay, it's not as good as food service, but it's not the worst either, they have a lot of big time customers and they have a very good safety record and generally do a good job of keeping everything moving.
Wintersville, is a little ways away from Cleveland, I live 185 city blocks from the center of downtown Cleveland. PolyOne in Elyria is 20 miles from my home, actually it maybe a tad less then 20 miles to tell you the truth.

I'm cool with 1.5-2 days at home that's fine, I see Schneider day cabs on I-90 pulling PolyOne trailers so I knew the plant existed and knew the accounts existed. I mean out and back sounds fine to me, I have no problem with it. The bus business is a lot of out and back, or go rent a car stay at a hotel and when the bus comes in you relieve the other driver and then keep on moving.
Did you apply at Northern/Brandt yet?

Did you apply at Northern/Brandt yet?

Way back in January when I first started school, I should probably send in my resume again and this time now that school is less then 60 days from being over quite a bit less actually they might be interested. Also the fact that I have a Class B earned and 85% of there fleet is straight trucks that probably helps my case even more. They have a now hiring ad on there website up and it's been up since August of 2013, but I don't really know what to make of that, if they are even hiring or not, however I should probably reapply if they hired me that would be the ultimate end game right there, I would just stick around and stay there.

I'd ask the beer company about how long you'd be a helper before you could get on your own (if it's even a possibility). You mentioned it'd seem like a lateral move, but helper pay will probably be the same or more than the "trainee" pay at US, especially when you figure in the costs of living on the road. They hire people right out of school because turnover's crazy.
Sounds like somebody our reservations about the beer company have to do with your confidence level, but it'd probably be a good place to get better faster. Anyone can go straight down a highway, city driving and backing in traffic sucks at first but is the best way to get better. I'm guessing in school you were driving a 53' or 48'? Beer you'll probably be driving a side-loader, about 28'-32' long. They sit lower to the ground, from a new drivers perspective aren't as intimidating as a real truck. That's my experience learning to drive in a Coke truck anyway.
It's the way I'd go.
Garbage can be good or well, garbage depending on the company. Some of them are union, some of the smaller mom and pop haulers (which I'd stay away from) aren't. Around here the drivers doing commercial containers make good money, residential drivers not so much.

Your absolutely correct we drive 48' and 53' trailers in school, with bigger trucks to tandem axle Freightliner Centuries with full condo sleepers. The woman at the beer company said that once I get my CDL A I would be fair game to be a driver for them. I would have to go out on a road test, but they would certainly let me become a driver. The fact that I had been in delivery of hard liquor helped and the beer company runs side loader trailers 28-32' long just like you said and they sit lower to the ground. They said 10-20 stops per day, no real merchandising just dropping beer making sure the case count is correct and going on to the next stop. Said the typical day stars at 4:30am.

I'd go to the beer company to get your experience. To me it would be better then OTR but that's just me

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

It seems like a lot of you guys are saying the beer company might be a legitimate good way to go they seemed to have no problem at making me become a driver for them in time. Figured I would work my way up the ladder. This beer company has 2-3 warehouses around Ohio and they do have a shuttle run that goes on eventually I could probably work my way up to that job.
I did apply to Schneider for PolyOne dedicated, that seemed to be okay.
My dad said that he though Schneider PolyOne dedicated sounded okay he was kind of amazed that job wasn't snatched up and it seems Schneider is always hiring for PolyOne dedicated, my dad said the same thing you guys did the beer company will get you some good experience won't be all bad. The trucks and trailers are small and are meant to get into small spaces.

I'm going to see if sometime tomorrow Schneider calls, I'll listen to what they have to say and then go and I guess make a decision, the beer company took 3 weeks about to get back to me, so they can let me think about this for a day or two or the woman even said read the description and think it over. I mean Lazlo's right driving in a straight line down the interstate doesn't prove much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a pretty lazy guy, I would run from that beer company. On the other hand you would be able to eat all day and not gain any weight.

I'm a pretty lazy guy, I would run from that beer company. On the other hand you would be able to eat all day and not gain any weight.
The reason I wanted to do food, is because I hate going to the gym, going to the gym 4 days a week like I do is a big chore to me and I don't really care for the people at the gym they all seem like a bunch of phoney baloney's which is why I keep to my self and either day dream or read my favorite magazines while I walk on the tread mill nothings better then reading Pizza Today while your working out at the gym, but I go there to keep my blood pressure in check (sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't) I don't have to take medication for it (My god at 25 there's no reason to take blood pressure meds and I'm not even overweight or anything.) but now and then my blood pressure will run a tad high. Bureaucratically speaking right now it's fine when I went to get my medical card and long form for school my blood pressure wasn't all that bad so I got one for 2 years which was cool.

That's the one thing about OTR work it's pretty much when your out on the road like that resort to eating vegetables I mean as goofy as this sounds go buy a vegetable party tray at Costco and that's pretty much OTR diner all week. Gosh the way some of those OTR guys live, it's awful some of those guys it's peanut butter and jelly everyday and some of the other things they do and places they spend the night at it's terrible.

The guy from US Xpress that I talked to said "You would be amazed at how many of these guys out here are perfectly content with eating peanut butter and jelly every day of the week and making $400-$600 a week."

I figured with food or beer you get a good work out and won't have to go to the gym any more.

I did apply to work at Northern Haserot Brandt one more time, just put my application in, will see what happens.

So I got a call from Schneider today about PolyOne dedicated, it's pretty much an out and back account. Your home for your 34 hour reset well usually they try to get you home over the weekend so probably around 1.5-2 days off a week and then back out on the road. It's east of Minnesota. It's by no means OTR. The starting pay for a new guy like me is $0.27.5 cpm and then every quarter after sometime it goes up $0.02 cpm. It does have some Canada which that doesn't really bother me, it's okay I guess.

So the choices are pretty much Schneider PolyOne, Teams at US Xpress, The Beer Company or maybe and it's a very long shot, but North Haserot Brandt.

The beer company the more I think about it sounds better and better.