Yellow | Tragic accident at Croxton (NJ) rail yard today

May he rest in peace. I wonder what that container weighed.

Does it matter,loaded or m/t it will kill you if it falls on you.Duh! May he rest in peace.
Duh? What experience do you have with containers? I'm going to guess that it's not too much so I'll fill you in. Depending on where they come from they are grossly overloaded and could well have been loaded beyond the capacity of the truck that unfortunate operator was using, thus causing his death.

Duh? What experience do you have with containers? I'm going to guess that it's not too much so I'll fill you in. Depending on where they come from they are grossly overloaded and could well have been loaded beyond the capacity of the truck that unfortunate operator was using, thus causing his death.
I believe what he was saying is that a container is heavy by itself and should something fail even an empty one still be enough to kill.

It's my understanding that a lot of the locking mechanisms that are supposed to retain these containers, particularly on cranes, are poorly maintained and have issues staying secured. I've also heard that the rail yard cranes that handle TOFC trailers are prone to failure too.

When I hauled containers they used to back them up on the trains with a yard horse

Went to the rail yard Tuesday. This is the unit that was crushed. Still at the location where it happened.

I6R9Osc.jpg

Holy moly!!I didn't know it was heavy tractor crane.I thought it was one of those overhead hoists..Wow how tragic.My sympathies to his family and friends.He didn't have a chance to get out.I think if they build those kind of units that the cab should be able to withstand at least 50000 pounds of crushing pressure.

Holy moly!!I didn't know it was heavy tractor crane.I thought it was one of those overhead hoists..Wow how tragic.My sympathies to his family and friends.He didn't have a chance to get out.I think if they build those kind of units that the cab should be able to withstand at least 50000 pounds of crushing pressure.
Workers should be protected up to the maximum degrees with that type of equipment

you are a friggin idiot. what do you mean what it weighed. post something pertinent to the problem.

I belive that weight of that tralier will come into question, IF the tralier was overweight and caused the mechanical failure or the wire to snap, which caused the death of the worker. "Wrongful death" due to the workplace negligence. The family will need to be compensated "survivor claim" for loss of his life, loss of emotional support, loss of financial support, funeral and burial costs due to someone else's negligence resulting in his death. I'm sure OSHA will be interested in the weight of that tralier. OSHA statistics say around 5,000 people are killed each year workplace accidents in the US. The top 4 industry accidents leading to death are, falls, electrocution, struck by an object, or caught in between an object, which are responsible for 60% of all Industry deaths.

Last edited:
I belive that weight of that tralier will come into question, IF the tralier was overweight and caused the mechanical failure or the wire to snap, which caused the death of the worker. "Wrongful death" due to the workplace negligence. The family will need to be compensated "survivor claim" for loss of his life, loss of emotional support, loss of financial support, funeral and burial costs due to someone else's negligence resulting in his death. I'm sure OSHA will be interested in the weight of that tralier. OSHA statistics say around 5,000 people are killed each year workplace accidents in the US. The top 4 industry accidents leading to death are, falls, electrocution, struck by an object, or caught in between an object, which are responsible for 60% of all Industry deaths.

FYI, it wasn't a trailer but a container that crushed the machine. Also, I'm not sure what model this particular machine was, but the most common in use in TOFC are PC-80 and PC-90 models with 80,000 and 90,000 pound lifting capacities respectively.