Yellow | Tragic accident at Croxton (NJ) rail yard today

Oh my...that machine should have been able to handle a load. OSHA will have a field day with this thing's maintenance records for sure.
In the end, the fine that is paid will be less than the proposed one. And as long as the company comes in to compliance within so many days, nothing will change. And the lax enforcement of Safety work rules will continue. And as the accident becomes a distant memory, the safety of the workers will suffer.

For a second there, I thought ABFer was back.

5vAk5iO.jpg

I never left.

Nice to see renewed interest in a thread I started in August 2016 about an accident in the rail yard that summer. :smile new:

I belive that weight of that tralier will come into question, IF the tralier was overweight and caused the mechanical failure or the wire to snap, which caused the death of the worker. "Wrongful death" due to the workplace negligence. The family will need to be compensated "survivor claim" for loss of his life, loss of emotional support, loss of financial support, funeral and burial costs due to someone else's negligence resulting in his death. I'm sure OSHA will be interested in the weight of that tralier. OSHA statistics say around 5,000 people are killed each year workplace accidents in the US. The top 4 industry accidents leading to death are, falls, electrocution, struck by an object, or caught in between an object, which are responsible for 60% of all Industry deaths.
Is OSHA still in existence? I thought this was one of the government agencies that was strangling business. Watch for the rail yards (or whoever owns it) to claim operator negligence. They can't possibly be held accountable for an accident such as this.

Duh? What experience do you have with containers? I'm going to guess that it's not too much so I'll fill you in. Depending on where they come from they are grossly overloaded and could well have been loaded beyond the capacity of the truck that unfortunate operator was using, thus causing his death.
I’ve hauled containers to the ports and rail yards for over 40 years and you.I guess that doesn’t make me and expert like you.!!!!!!!