Yellow | Trailers going bye, bye

Well

Here's a novel thought..they can fix them up and keep them on site, and all the laid off guys can live in them with their families after the banks take their home. It can be kind of like a YRC sub-division. We could all pool our unemployment money and have cookouts, buy some beer..hell even get a couple of blow up pools for the kids to swim in...now that would be livin..real comrade. Have dollar bill and his wife read bedtime stories to the young kids and hoffa and tyson chicken could play some music for the parents.

it wouldn't be the first time I live somewhere that had wheels!!!! I was raised in trailer....:biglaugh:

Hey correct me if I am wrong but most of the trailers I have seen are pretty well shot...plus the fact that they don't have to register or tag them ....right?

Hey correct me if I am wrong but most of the trailers I have seen are pretty well shot...plus the fact that they don't have to register or tag them ....right?

registration was probably due march 31st so instead of relicensing them they took them off the road. You would think they could at least get $1000 for them though.

Got that right, practice makes perfect. Still do it that way unless I'm in some really bad position somewhere! :1036316054: :1036316054:

Funny thing is when there's nobody around I can nail it pretty quickly, but when somebody's watching I need a few more shots!! Go figure!! :hysterical:

Boy ain't that the truth.

i hope they keep the jifflox and dump the YELLOW dollies.

they weigh a bunch lighter and are easier to hook up (even if you have to charge the air up in them).

i hooked a set up in terre haute on a dirt floor the other morning where usually i would have put the set together out on the street.

it was really nice to be able to pick up the dolly tongue and move it over instead of grunting it over.

:shift: That is all I have to say Big R.

pups out of SQB?

what's the routing?

12 below, was that in late november?

coldest i ever saw it up there was -37 on the door thermometer at us customs in norton.

then i hopped in my 9200 series ford and drove down to island pond and because the steering box was so stiff i had to make 2 passes at the turns there.

i'd really like to know the routing for pups out of SQB (i'd like to see the macho man who could drive pups down 114 between october and april, especially getting the pup under the culvert without it hitting).

i forgot KEE, DBY, PSM, WAR, BXC & BRC and if you were special WBE on the way to LCP or DUP on the way to CVE.

us former NELO and NELT guys had to drop and hook our way home every weekend.

first bid i had there was NELT friday start.

i still would have preferred ROADWAY dollies.

Here is the Wolfe Research story on this (Friday Freight 4/17/2009):

§ "Trucking (Market Underweight): We spoke with a Western scrap metals shipper who noted to us the recent sale of 300 YRCW trailers for scrap to a local competitor of his for roughly $100K in an effort to raise cash. Although aluminum shred prices are down roughly 50% y/y, this shipper has never heard of trailers being sold for prices this low (~$330/trailer). While our contact did not see the condition of the trailers sold, he indicated that an aged trailer could be scrapped for roughly $2K-$4K only a couple of years ago. Though the scrap market is down both domestically and internationally, this shipper does not understand the logic behind such a firesale. We also spoke with a TL carrier who indicated he would prefer to keep old trailers in the yard rather than receive the scrap prices mentioned above. This carrier also noted that new trailers today cost in the low $20K range".

Most of the trailers being scrapped are the Roadway 260000's series, along with the low numbered 270000's. These are all fiberglass coated ply board walls and have very little scrap metal to them. Many of you may remember in the late 90's these originally were rebuilds by Wabash. They took trailers originally manufactured in the 80's, cut the old boxes off, installed a new box, with new wiring, mounted the axle, fifth wheel plate, sometimes not even replacing the brakes. They did not have anti-lock brakes Many times they would repaint the original back door which is why so many of them look really bad. Plus, at the time, the box was leased, but Roadway owned the axle, and here is the kicker, only paid taxes on the original build date, since it was a 'repair'. If you get a chance sometime, if you pull any old Roadway pup, look on the front of the trailer to the build plate.

pups out of SQB?

what's the routing?

12 below, was that in late november?

coldest i ever saw it up there was -37 on the door thermometer at us customs in norton.

then i hopped in my 9200 series ford and drove down to island pond and because the steering box was so stiff i had to make 2 passes at the turns there.

i'd really like to know the routing for pups out of SQB (i'd like to see the macho man who could drive pups down 114 between october and april, especially getting the pup under the culvert without it hitting).

i forgot KEE, DBY, PSM, WAR, BXC & BRC and if you were special WBE on the way to LCP or DUP on the way to CVE.

us former NELO and NELT guys had to drop and hook our way home every weekend.

first bid i had there was NELT friday start.

i still would have preferred ROADWAY dollies.

Paducah, get with the game, you're living in the past!! SQB is Stanstead not Stanhope. Straight up I91, cross the border at Derby Line and the terminal is barely a mile north.

Good thing you didn't get dispatched there or you might still be stuck under that culvert!! :biglaugh:

larry.

up until '92 we had a bunch of terminals in new england that only 48's could go to (burlington, vt is still that way out of maybrook on a turn).

stanhope, quebec was one of them because of 50 miles of vermont state route 114.

route 114 is nothing but mooseshit and black ice all winter and it has a 13'5" one lane underpass on an s curve right in the middle of a moose crossing area.

you aint seen nothin' 'til you looked eye to eye with a bull moose while sitting in your tractor and don't blow the horn.

the only way to get pups in and out of there was through montreal via sherbrooke cause they got this big lake there called lake magog.

so they moved the terminal 25 miles west to interstate 91 on the canadian border and kept the same 3 letter code.

larry.

up until '92 we had a bunch of terminals in new england that only 48's could go to (burlington, vt is still that way out of maybrook on a turn).
<snip>

But running pups into Burlington from the south or west lets you get to use the Lake Champlain ferry!!

Who else gets water mileage on a trip!! :hysterical: