ABF | transfer to linehaul

075 adding 2 linehaul spots to dallas turn.is it risky to move from city board to linehaul?
Your biggest worry is if they eventually turn it into a UE. You would get a new seniority date changing to road so you would have to transfer to Dallas and stay a road driver or go back to city with your new seniority date. If your the bottom guy it is not a real risk.

Where is 075? Is it a break? How do they run their boards, straight line seniority and bid back and forth or classification and remain there?

Where is 075? Is it a break? How do they run their boards, straight line seniority and bid back and forth or classification and remain there?
There's been some 'scuttle' about adding a road board at our barn. What would the advantages in both situations (separate or combined boards) be? And, who decides whether it will be one or two boards?

There's been some 'scuttle' about adding a road board at our barn. What would the advantages in both situations (separate or combined boards) be? And, who decides whether it will be one or two boards?
Probably the Local decides but they should make that decision based on what the men want. As to which is an advantage/disadvantage that would be strictly a matter of opinion but I'd bet that a senior guy would like the ability to bid back and forth depending on his needs at the time. A less senior guy wouldn't like being bumped over to the other side at bid time if it happened to him.

It really comes down to who outnumbers who in the local barn.The local union barn that is. Big terminals always vote road and city seperate and locals that have more city drivers vote seniority rules. No road driver wants to give up his road position to run the city at 60 years old. But a city guy might like the cushy road position when he is the same age.

Last edited:
For some reason I believe that at 042 they can bid any job their seniority will allow when the bids come up.

Thought judy removed going from road to city or city to road in the last crummy contract. Used to be a 1 time exception but no more....

Thought judy removed going from road to city or city to road in the last crummy contract. Used to be a 1 time exception but no more....

I think you're referring to the language about road drivers transferring to UE under a COO. I believe the contract says once you make that transfer, you can not go back to the road position. The reasoning being the UE position is on the city board and under the city provisions.

They were going to offer our small terminal a road position under the last COO, but our BA went all the way out Kansas City only to hear ,....20 minutes into the meeting,...,....."never mind".........

We were going to hold a single seniority board. .I think that works best in a small terminal. That preference was part of the negotiation process.