ODFL | Uniforms : To wear or not to wear

Aladdin Sane

TB Lurker
Credits
While I respect some line drivers choice not to wear a uniform shirt even though the company provides them, I still think a certain standard should be required of them as far as attire goes.
Having in recent days seen a guy that seems to prefer to drive shirtless, another observed climbing down out of his truck wearing knee high socks, basketball shorts, shower clogs and a sleeveless shirt split down to the waistline along with numerous other wardrobe atrocities it has me wondering if maybe a dress code of some kind isn't in order.

In my mind, you are representing the company when you are out among the public. And when you climb down out of your truck in some of the attire mentioned above, you aren't representing yourself or the company positively at all. Maybe the line guys should be held to the same standard as the city guys are as far as attire goes. I have a hard time believing that I'm alone in this opinion. Thoughts?

I’m not sure about others, but I am only outta the truck at terminals. Personally I wear the uniform and the driver’s on our line board are all dressed appropriately, whether company issue or personal attire. Now what burns my ass is City driver’s that deal with our customers and are seen by the public, having long outta control hair, non company hats, or company hats turned backwards and wearing their shorts down gangsta style. That’s at my Terminal. Now let’s move to the dock. I’m not worried about how they’re dressed, but playing music loud enough to be heard inside my truck, parked away from the dock at a good distance, and using racial slurs, swear words and such when you have houses right on the other side of the fence. Oh by the way this is early morning hours. This is another terminal. You see, I am standing on the dock while my broken down trailer is having it’s freight swung to another trailer, listening to this crap, grinding my teeth, is this a representation of our company at 2:00 am. Hey, listen to whatever y’all like. I don’t even discourage music on the dock, but at acceptable level. Basically I have a problem with City driver’s always pointing the finger at Line. Y’all have the same opportunity to get on board. If you see a problem don’t paint all of us with the same brush.

I’m sure my last post will spark the fire. But that’s good. I and many other driver’s that I work with, whether from my Terminal or other Terminal’s show utmost respect for the Company we drive for.

I’m sure my last post will spark the fire. But that’s good. I and many other driver’s that I work with, whether from my Terminal or other Terminal’s show utmost respect for the Company we drive for.

Sea aka the hood

Bigger fish to fry in my opinion... I worry bout myself and safty issues. I don't think a fat disheveled looking line driver cost us any more clients then a well dressed and pressed city driver gets me my freight any faster!! I'll take a fat greasy driver that does a quality pre and post trip over a guy that's afraid to get his hands dirty any day!!

Some days I wear a uniform, some days I don’t. I bought some shirts with my own money off the company store and some days I wear one of those. But I always am dressed appropriately. It’s a matter of personal pride, but I would have no problem with a dress code so long as blue jeans are an option. I hate black jeans, they fade and look bad, and I’m not a fan of the black uniform pants. There’s something jarring and shabby looking about our uniforms, especially after they’ve been worn for years. Which brings me to another question, why do some guys wear a uniform shirt long after it’s sell by date? They give us new ones every year, why wear a shirt til it’s threadbare, faded and lost all semblance of shape?

This is a Terminal to Terminal Deal.Each Manager is different.At our Barn the Supervisor's have to dress properly now.Every Driver required to wear uniform is definitely coming."Image"..Once in a while they will ramp up and tell us we have to wear this and that.But,nobody ever stay's the course on it.They have other fish to fry.

The line drivers do have a dress code, this is not word for word but it must be neat and presentable. At my term our line guys look alright, other guys coming in and some teams look down right low rent. We also have some city guys that look terrible, gangster and wear uniforms that are so faded that its terrible. Guys wearing whatever hat they want, have bandannas on, the list goes on and on and on..... I have ran line and city and wear clean green always.

It's like anything else.Uniform or not.Some guys just dress like slobs.But I hate the basketball shorts on P&D drivers.One of our guys doing a weekend line run Even had shower slippers with socks.Thzt should help if you possibly drop that gear accidentally.

BTW.I have a couple of the earliest dark green shirts with the new (performance) material.Yes they're a little faded.I try to use those on a Saturday if I have enough shirts.But you know.Some are starting to wear at the seams which I will need to rotate out.

It's like anything else.Uniform or not.Some guys just dress like slobs.But I hate the basketball shorts on P&D drivers.One of our guys doing a weekend line run Even had shower slippers with socks.Thzt should help if you possibly drop that gear accidentally.

BTW.I have a couple of the earliest dark green shirts with the new (performance) material.Yes they're a little faded.I try to use those on a Saturday if I have enough shirts.But you know.Some are starting to wear at the seams which I will need to rotate out.
Shower slippers, hell get him a bathrobe and pipe. Talking about dressing like slobs, driver’s that don’t wear gloves. Driver’s that love sunflower seeds or chicken. I’ve had shells and chicken bones on the floor of my truck when other drivers use it.

The teams look the worst. Every time a team shows up it might as well be Crst for all I’m concerned. Ain’t not telling the difference.

XS7mQSx.jpg

There you go. Billy was right. CROG, total gangsta. He just needs to tint the windows and put hydraulics on his ride.

Teams be like,,,, guess I’ll just park my truck and set infront of the terminal exit gate and wander into the office like a sloth.

Teams be like,,,, guess I’ll just park my truck and set infront of the terminal exit gate and wander into the office like a sloth.
I agree totally. And what about those Canadian guy’s. That one guy gets there at the same time I do, doesn’t matter where I am the guy blocks me in. I told him a couple of weeks ago to move. I don’t think he understood me. Lol. Have a nice 4th.

I agree totally. And what about those Canadian guy’s. That one guy gets there at the same time I do, doesn’t matter where I am the guy blocks me in. I told him a couple of weeks ago to move. I don’t think he understood me. Lol. Have a nice 4th.

I yelled at the guy in the white truck loud enough and in a tone to get me fired I’m sure, but he sure the hell gets out of my way now when he sees old white devil coming through.