TForce | Ups package has asked for permission to strike

Why do you post false info. Especially something like that. That could cause a lot of problems. Time to use your head and grow up. The I heard crap is so overnite. Grow up

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

And here I always thought that a "no" vote on a contract proposal was the vote to authorize the representation to call a strike,....

And here I always thought that a "no" vote on a contract proposal was the vote to authorize the representation to call a strike,....

That's why I asked the question. I always thought the same as you Walleye. Is it about the next contract? If not, what would be the reason for the strike authorization? I smell BS.

At least they have the option. Freight side doesn't. Just throw more paper at the problems. Would be nice if they put that option in the next contract. But they won't I'm sure.

At least they have the option. Freight side doesn't. Just throw more paper at the problems. Would be nice if they put that option in the next contract. But they won't I'm sure.

How is it that freight side doesn't? If I thought that was true I wouldn't be paying dues. It wouldn't be on payroll deduction and they would have a hard time getting it. I know you could get fired. But at least they would be paid very late every month.

We don't have the option , it's in the contract that we CAN'T strike. For any reason. Guess the union doesn't want any interruption in collecting dues.

Article 38
Union and Company Cooperation

Section 2. Work Stoppages
All grievances and/or questions of interpretation arising under the provisions of this Agreement shall be submitted to the grievance procedure for determination. Accordingly, no work stoppage, slowdown, walkout or lockout over such grievances and/or questions of interpretation shall be deemed to be permitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't have the option , it's in the contract that we CAN'T strike. For any reason. Guess the union doesn't want any interruption in collecting dues.

Article 38

All grievances and/or questions of interpretation arising under the provisions of this Agreement shall be submitted to the grievance procedure for determination. Accordingly, no work stoppage, slowdown, walkout or lockout over such grievances and/or questions of interpretation shall be deemed to be permitted.

That seems like pretty standard language. When the contract expires those words mean nothing and you can turn down the company proposals and then strike. No contract, no language. The wording is to prevent wild cat strikes and practices that hurt business (our employment too) I think it's been in every contract I have ever been a part of including the NMFA. The issues arising between labor and UPS has a procedure to be followed. Yes, that procedure sucks. But it's still the way things are handled. Wanna make a change? Get it in writing the next contract.

Allow me to stick my 2 cents in here.
I was a Teamster for a bit over 20 years back when there was around 3500 union LTL's.
The longest strike I was in was back in the 70's which lasted about 2 weeks.
Back in the day the Teamsters had enough leverage to slow down,in some cases shut down manufacturing in the entire nation.

Now days there is no real solidarity to twist the arms of any of the unionized companies to meet your demands.
So you really have to use your head and conceder the cost to call a strike,or even a work slow down.

You know for one,Fedex would love to see any work interruptions at UPS.

Also as I have posted a few times before,in any contract negotiations there is a give and take process.
Say you were able to go out on strike,first off you have to keep paying your dues to remain an active member.
Then you know big giant UPS corporate has the power to do as they please,union,or no union.
They may even be able to run their operation with contractors,maybe not,but do really want to call their bluff & walk out to find out?

You may be walking the picket line longer than you bargained for,only making strike pay if that.
You may eventually be begging the company to put you back to work,in that case you will be ready to lose more than you started with.

Well just my 2 cents,viewing both sides of this issue,take it or leave it,I hate to see any of my former co-works hang themselves.

In the coming years we all are going to learn to fight for
what we believe in or just lay down and get ran over.
Men and women have paid a price for a better life since
the beginning of time. We can't stop now.

One thing for sure if we all got together what a powerful
force the trucking industry would be again.

I'm on my way out. But I would still love to see it happen
In my life time.

I'm willing to pay the price on the picket line if it will make
A better life for my kids and grand kids. And hopefully
Wake up the sleeping giant.

Article 38

When the contract is up and IF we work without a contract, We CAN strike because there will be no contract. Remember, Before we even vote on the new contract, We all need to get with one another to discuss the contract in GREAT DETAIL!!! This contract that we have has so many loopholes in it just because of the way it's worded. Lets not make this mistake again!!!

the strike authorization is a tool to be used when the current contract is over and a new deal wasn't reached. so when its the day that the current deal expires the members can strike right then and there.
its just getting the formality out of the way now instead of at the last second.