XPO | vacation

Who took it? Con-Way didnt!!! All the did was change how you earned your vacation time. If you got vacation last year and you are getting it this, then nobody could have stole it from you. Granted it was a pile of crap, but in reality you didnt lose anything.

[quote author=magicman1966 link=topic=78906.msg818655#msg818655 date=1270225481]
Who took it? Con-Way didnt!!! All the did was change how you earned your vacation time. If you got vacation last year and you are getting it this, then nobody could have stole it from you. Granted it was a pile of crap, but in reality you didnt lose anything.
[/quote]

The only thing about that is that we weren't earning any vacation time from April '09 to April '10. They didn't steal any vacation time, they just didn't credit us with any vacation for a whole year. They didn't take it, they just didn't give it. :busted:

[quote author=magicman1966 link=topic=78906.msg818655#msg818655 date=1270225481]
[/quote]

so........... con-way now follows plans in place by other companys ,thats great,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but the excuse is because of a bad economy they cant afford to give vacation for time served from 2/1/09 thru 2/1/10 knowing the most senior employee is effected the most? ahhhh

Okay.. Correct me if I'm wrong. Does this mean that instead of waiting 15 years for 4 weeks vacation ( which is so Draconian in itself ) that one must add another year ie: 16 years? I have probably already worked 20 years in 14, if you add up all the overtime.

The only thing about that is that we weren't earning any vacation time from April '09 to April '10. They didn't steal any vacation time, they just didn't credit us with any vacation for a whole year. They didn't take it, they just didn't give it. :busted:

Time for a re-hash. eh?...

OK...I'll play.

The one and only reason the vacation policy was changed was so the company could alleviate its responsibility to those individuals who in the course of their years of service had accrued vacation time...often 4 plus weeks...and after a period of time those individuals will choose to retire.

In the annals of the Ghost of Con-Way Past...not so long ago...when the contributions and dedication of long term employees was honored and recognized...people retired...just as they do now. However, back in the day, when integrity was more than just a 'catch word' this company honored the above mentioned folks as they retired...common practice...wait until the first of the year...take your EARNED vacation...and then collect your PENSION...and whatever other instruments of income they had ascribed to during their retirement planning years and enjoy what they had EARNED.

Under this new and wonderful regime...that practice is no more. Retirees be damned...this fine outstanding place of employment in their constant quest for excellence has decided that the qualities mentioned earlier in this post regarding the people of time mean nothing. Commitment, service, work ethic and dedication are qualities that are now demanded rather than sought after and appreciated. Fail in any one othe areas and you will at best LOI'd and at worst terminated.

Of course this should not come as a surprise to anyone. I have witnessed thousands of employees upended per edict of President "L"...many good hard working people simply eco-termed...which looks good on the spreadsheet...and the "Doug" is pleased...and can once again give a positive report to the BOD. More bonuses...more stock options...more perks...paid for by the loss of job continuity and peace of mind of any given family at any given time that falls under the umbrella of this company and its highly esteemed core values.

The 'L" came to our barn and made the mind numbing statement..."this is how most companies are now handling their vacation policies".

Would someone please name some of these companies?...I have never experienced nor heard of this policy until now.

So there you have it...and as Bigfoot so eloquently put it..."they didn't take it they just didn't give it"...

On a side note...for all the Kool-Aid drinkers who have carte blanche swallowed the swill so freely and unabashedly peddled by this company...spare me the calculations on how the vacations are tabulated and accrued...its insulting and assinine...nobody of any intelligence is buying it.

Let re-hash some more...shall we?....

Just a short year has past since we were subjected to the diatribe of how we were going to survive.

OMG!...the sky is falling!...the world of LTL is at an end!...Armegeddon is just around the corner!...

Sooo!...boys and girls...we have to cut your pay...eliminate any futher contributions to the pension fund...suspend matching contributions to your 401k plan...jack up your insurance premiums (which wiped out the 2.6% return of your wages) and bastardize your vacation benefit.

The "L" made the statement of how the lending institutions were not of a mindset to loan monies to companies that needed them...only to those that needed it to survive to pay existing loans.

What a crock!...

We just had to be our own bank!...which would be funded by the takebacks...

Since then...

We have followed Colin Braun into the Nationwide Series of Nascar and declared a ROI of triple the Truck Series before the boy ever turned a wheel on the Ford...

Found the money to purchase 1500(?) new Cascadias...

Found the money to finally implement the scanner program...

Found the money to equip the pups with the e-track system...

All the while turning in dismal numbers every quarter...most certainly not generating enough revenue to fund all these endeavors...

And lest we forget...the 'variable pay' program...which has already been declared to be inferior to the ICP program where specific percentages of monies were set aside for the payout...

Now it is all about profit...and manipulation of the numbers...

Some is either lying...or has absolutely no understanding of what they are doing...and are winging it from day to day...bluffing their way through...hoping for a positive outcome.

I am of the belief it is the latter.

Rat

I'm putting in a app to work call center for FedEx this Monday. Hopefully get a retirement package that will support me and hubby.

For the senior drivers it is a big deal. Getting ready to get 5 weeks but with the way its done now I'll never get over 4 weeks.

[quote author=Anosyone link=topic=78906.msg818864#msg818864 date=1270269335]
For the senior drivers it is a big deal. Getting ready to get 5 weeks but with the way its done now I'll never get over 4 weeks.
[/quote]

you will get to your five weeks quicker under the new system. The very next pay period after your anniversary date of twenty years you will start earning at the next level. If in the last week of June you celebrate your twentieth annv. you will have six months at the new rate which will equal 2.5 extra days off this year instead of having to wait until the next calender year. Additionally, the negative ten day rule is not yearly. You can carry a negative balance passed December.

you will get to your five weeks quicker under the new system. The very next pay period after your anniversary date of twenty years you will start earning at the next level

But under the old one wasn't it you got 5 weeks at 15 years?

[quote author=Rat link=topic=78906.msg818747#msg818747 date=1270256689]

OK...I'll play.

The one and only reason the vacation policy was changed was so the company could alleviate its responsibility to those individuals who in the course of their years of service had accrued vacation time...often 4 plus weeks...and after a period of time those individuals will choose to retire.

In the annals of the Ghost of Con-Way Past...not so long ago...when the contributions and dedication of long term employees was honored and recognized...people retired...just as they do now. However, back in the day, when integrity was more than just a 'catch word' this company honored the above mentioned folks as they retired...common practice...wait until the first of the year...take your EARNED vacation...and then collect your PENSION...and whatever other instruments of income they had ascribed to during their retirement planning years and enjoy what they had EARNED.

Under this new and wonderful regime...that practice is no more. Retirees be damned...this fine outstanding place of employment in their constant quest for excellence has decided that the qualities mentioned earlier in this post regarding the people of time mean nothing. Commitment, service, work ethic and dedication are qualities that are now demanded rather than sought after and appreciated. Fail in any one othe areas and you will at best LOI'd and at worst terminated.

Of course this should not come as a surprise to anyone. I have witnessed thousands of employees upended per edict of President "L"...many good hard working people simply eco-termed...which looks good on the spreadsheet...and the "Doug" is pleased...and can once again give a positive report to the BOD. More bonuses...more stock options...more perks...paid for by the loss of job continuity and peace of mind of any given family at any given time that falls under the umbrella of this company and its highly esteemed core values.

The 'L" came to our barn and made the mind numbing statement..."this is how most companies are now handling their vacation policies".

Would someone please name some of these companies?...I have never experienced nor heard of this policy until now.

So there you have it...and as Bigfoot so eloquently put it..."they didn't take it they just didn't give it"...

On a side note...for all the Kool-Aid drinkers who have carte blanche swallowed the swill so freely and unabashedly peddled by this company...spare me the calculations on how the vacations are tabulated and accrued...its insulting and assinine...nobody of any intelligence is buying it.

Just a short year has past since we were subjected to the diatribe of how we were going to survive.

OMG!...the sky is falling!...the world of LTL is at an end!...Armegeddon is just around the corner!...

Sooo!...boys and girls...we have to cut your pay...eliminate any futher contributions to the pension fund...suspend matching contributions to your 401k plan...jack up your insurance premiums (which wiped out the 2.6% return of your wages) and bastardize your vacation benefit.

The "L" made the statement of how the lending institutions were not of a mindset to loan monies to companies that needed them...only to those that needed it to survive to pay existing loans.

What a crock!...

Since then...

We have followed Colin Braun into the Nationwide Series of Nascar and declared a ROI of triple the Truck Series before the boy ever turned a wheel on the Ford...

All the while turning in dismal numbers every quarter...most certainly not generating enough revenue to fund all these endeavors...

And lest we forget...the 'variable pay' program...which has already been declared to be inferior to the ICP program where specific percentages of monies were set aside for the payout...

Some is either lying...or has absolutely no understanding of what they are doing...and are winging it from day to day...bluffing their way through...hoping for a positive outcome.

Rat
[/quote]

well ya... time for a re-hash...

a) to imply kool-aid one would imply *******. So if one drinks the company kool-aid, a company implementing investments and change to create the absolute leading LTL carrier of the next decade, this is *******? It would seem the non-drinkers are the ones poised for *******. Those who refuse to change and teeter on insubordination, the ones waiting in line, waiting for their turn to stand at the base of those who cling to their soapboxes and preach their outdated opinions. Misery loves company, and I find it interesting that these encounter groups are getting smaller ( where's BB and Bank? )

b) "And lest we forget...the 'variable pay' program...which has already been declared to be inferior to the ICP program where specific percentages of monies were set aside for the payout...

Now it is all about profit...and manipulation of the numbers..."

no information on this has been released... not until Monday's meeting. Declared inferior by who? I'll wait 'til Monday to form my opinion thank you. An opinion based on the facts of the program as communicated by my employer. The most successful years of ICP were always based on profits!

c) some continue to trip over positive change. In just the last six to eight weeks your employer has asked your opinion not once but twice on change and company policy... uniforms and next year's calender. Call it trivial and baseless but things are changing and drivers are and will have a larger voice in this company going forward.

d) Some is either lying...or has absolutely no understanding of what they are doing...and are winging it from day to day...bluffing their way through...hoping for a positive outcome.

I could not agree more! The truth will set you free

OK...I'll play.

What a crock!...

Since then...

Rat
[/quote]
Very Good Rat,
For what it's worth a agree 100% with you.
From what I see , Some are lying while they are winging it and believing that we are dumb enough to believe it while hoping for a positive outcome.

Apparently this 'new vacation policy' was attempted in Canada but it didn't pan out for them. Any company can choose how their employees accrue vacation time, however, at the end of the day, it has to work out to two weeks per year for years 1-6 and 3 weeks per year thereafter. The accrual has always been based on a Jan-Dec (12 month) system, by which any vacation time earned in that year, was given the next year (after Jan 1st).

When they tried to implement the 'new policy' it was pointed out to them by Labour Canada that they would then be required to double the vacation time and vacation pay for the following year because the vacation time and pay had already been earned previously, and would continue to be earned going forward.

Needless to say, the new policy lost traction in a big hurry in Canada.

[quote author=Merdock link=topic=78906.msg818971#msg818971 date=1270304406]

OK...I'll play.

What a crock!...

Since then...

Rat
[/quote]

well ya... time for a re-hash...

a) to imply kool-aid one would imply *******. So if one drinks the company kool-aid, a company implementing investments and change to create the absolute leading LTL carrier of the next decade, this is *******? It would seem the non-drinkers are the ones poised for *******. Those who refuse to change and teeter on insubordination, the ones waiting in line, waiting for their turn to stand at the base of those who cling to their soapboxes and preach their outdated opinions. Misery loves company, and I find it interesting that these encounter groups are getting smaller ( where's BB and Bank? )

b) "And lest we forget...the 'variable pay' program...which has already been declared to be inferior to the ICP program where specific percentages of monies were set aside for the payout...

Now it is all about profit...and manipulation of the numbers..."

no information on this has been released... not until Monday's meeting. Declared inferior by who? I'll wait 'til Monday to form my opinion thank you. An opinion based on the facts of the program as communicated by my employer. The most successful years of ICP were always based on profits!

c) some continue to trip over positive change. In just the last six to eight weeks your employer has asked your opinion not once but twice on change and company policy... uniforms and next year's calender. Call it trivial and baseless but things are changing and drivers are and will have a larger voice in this company going forward.

d) Some is either lying...or has absolutely no understanding of what they are doing...and are winging it from day to day...bluffing their way through...hoping for a positive outcome.

I could not agree more! The truth will set you free
[/quote]

Yet another inaccurate post from those who will accept anything handed down by the palace as factual...

very sad...

Rat

[quote author=Dude-PWB- link=topic=78906.msg819052#msg819052 date=1270318970]
Apparently this 'new vacation policy' was attempted in Canada but it didn't pan out for them. Any company can choose how their employees accrue vacation time, however, at the end of the day, it has to work out to two weeks per year for years 1-6 and 3 weeks per year thereafter. The accrual has always been based on a Jan-Dec (12 month) system, by which any vacation time earned in that year, was given the next year (after Jan 1st).

When they tried to implement the 'new policy' it was pointed out to them by Labour Canada that they would then be required to double the vacation time and vacation pay for the following year because the vacation time and pay had already been earned previously, and would continue to be earned going forward.

Needless to say, the new policy lost traction in a big hurry in Canada.
[/quote] That is very , very interesting and sounds quite logical. Can anyone verify this, could open a whole new can of worms. :banana: