Yellow | Velocity, Week 2

Well I just heard that when a UE is on vacation that the company wants to use road drivers and normal dockworkers to fill there spots.I thought UE's were classed as city people.Breaking the contract again!!!

Filling UE's Vacations

Well I just heard that when a UE is on vacation that the company wants to use road drivers and normal dockworkers to fill there spots.I thought UE's were classed as city people.Breaking the contract again!!!

Just my two cents here but, since they are under the city list, it will probably be a city guy.
For example at our barn we have shape guys or unassigned guys that cover vacations(both road and city vacations).So I would think it would work like that for the UE's too.We are a one list barn so that may have something to do wih it.

Could be wrong? like I said just my two cents:hide:

They might be able to force the bottom of the City board depending on your contract and they could even have a Road driver do a "Via" to a UE center and then go on to his/her destnation but the Road driver would not handle frt.

That one again?
After the last two years I have learned one thing, Do not beleive anything until you see the footers poured or the notice posted!

Another interesting issue that needs to be addressed and clarified asap.
A utility driver does work that is normally performed by all classifications and by contract has clearly been placed on a bid that is seperated into its own class.
I have already handled loads that were utility as a road driver and believe I left them in non utility doors at Newburgh. Please correct me if i'm wrong here but velocity freight is just a fancy lable for 1-2 and 3 day freight lanes wich just about covers all our freight.Have also been informed that there is no such thing as utility freight. So if a utility driver is out for some reason why shouldnt the work just go back to its original system of transport.It would be far to complex and unfair to asign it to one sector. The real question that needs answers is who gets the hold downs for vacation? WOW....what an open issue. Just my opinion here but I dont feel there is a need to hold down these positions with extra boards on every class of work a utility driver performs. It would be extremely complex to make the necessary pay scale adjustments anyway. Work should just go to the perspective board and be choiced at the time of dispatch to preserve seniority issues.
NOW.....As i said.....I have recently taken utility freight from 111-Kearny N.Jersey to 123-Newburgh N.York.
When leaving Kearny with this freight I was speaking to the utility drivers as they were leaving and was informed that this freight was extra??????????? Dont get it!!!
They were telling me that the freight was extra until they could hire another utility driver to handle it. Now im really confused! Am I to understand correctly that this would mean that every time freight volume goes up that they will put on another utility driver???? I thought that this was a closed number by contract. Anybody have knowledge or facts on these issues?

the sup in charge of the utility drives to me that 671 is the only terminal in the system with greivence problems . it that true?

"They were telling me that the freight was extra until they could hire another utility driver to handle it. Now im really confused! Am I to understand correctly that this would mean that every time freight volume goes up that they will put on another utility driver???? I thought that this was a closed number by contract. Anybody have knowledge or facts on these issues?" word is, there are many terminals in the system who are preparing to add on more UE in the coming months.....because the company can only have 1 regional coo per year, they will accomplish this by having several "mini" changes involving only a couple of terminals at a time......here in winston-salem, we have already changed our dock layout from 18 doors to 45 doors that the UE are allowed to work within.....this area has now been marked off with bright yellow lines across the dock....this tells me somewhere down the line, we will probably double the amount of UE we have working freight on our dock....there are now 18 men who are there every night from m-f.....the g-man

"They were telling me that the freight was extra until they could hire another utility driver to handle it. Now im really confused! Am I to understand correctly that this would mean that every time freight volume goes up that they will put on another utility driver???? I thought that this was a closed number by contract. Anybody have knowledge or facts on these issues?" word is, there are many terminals in the system who are preparing to add on more UE in the coming months.....because the company can only have 1 regional coo per year, they will accomplish this by having several "mini" changes involving only a couple of terminals at a time......here in winston-salem, we have already changed our dock layout from 18 doors to 45 doors that the UE are allowed to work within.....this area has now been marked off with bright yellow lines across the dock....this tells me somewhere down the line, we will probably double the amount of UE we have working freight on our dock....there are now 18 men who are there every night from m-f.....the g-man

There is no cutoff number for utility drivers! If a driver is off sick or on vacation, or other reasons as to not be able to take his run, the TM has the authority to ask in seniority order on the city side( for that`s what the utility driver has become) for anyone else to take the trip. If all refuse,It will be assigned to the last guy on the list.As per the contract.:smilie_132:

There is no cutoff number for utility drivers! If a driver is off sick or on vacation, or other reasons as to not be able to take his run, the TM has the authority to ask in seniority order on the city side( for that`s what the utility driver has become) for anyone else to take the trip. If all refuse,It will be assigned to the last guy on the list.As per the contract.:smilie_132:

Had the same issue here Remo but this was the utility guy marking off around noon. TM called one of the unassigned guys who had come in at 4am that day and had that man get off that day at 1pm that day so he could run the utility bid that night at 10pm. This was a violation for 1) he was not the senior man, 2) isn't he punching in twice in the same day, cause if that is the case then that man must not work the next day for there would be run around issues. Just some of the scenarios this thing has created without ant thought.

Right now at 135 u/e have about 30 doors. I have a feelimg by the time it is all said and done they will have half the dock.

as ive said many time yrc had an idea , they never have had a solid plan

Well, you can see how things pop up, and there is no definite plan of action, so the management will try to circumnavigate the contract any way they can.Just another thing to work out.:smilie_132:

Another interesting issue that needs to be addressed and clarified asap.
A utility driver does work that is normally performed by all classifications and by contract has clearly been placed on a bid that is seperated into its own class.
I have already handled loads that were utility as a road driver and believe I left them in non utility doors at Newburgh. Please correct me if i'm wrong here but velocity freight is just a fancy lable for 1-2 and 3 day freight lanes wich just about covers all our freight.Have also been informed that there is no such thing as utility freight. So if a utility driver is out for some reason why shouldnt the work just go back to its original system of transport.It would be far to complex and unfair to asign it to one sector. The real question that needs answers is who gets the hold downs for vacation? WOW....what an open issue. Just my opinion here but I dont feel there is a need to hold down these positions with extra boards on every class of work a utility driver performs. It would be extremely complex to make the necessary pay scale adjustments anyway. Work should just go to the perspective board and be choiced at the time of dispatch to preserve seniority issues.
NOW.....As i said.....I have recently taken utility freight from 111-Kearny N.Jersey to 123-Newburgh N.York.
When leaving Kearny with this freight I was speaking to the utility drivers as they were leaving and was informed that this freight was extra??????????? Dont get it!!!
They were telling me that the freight was extra until they could hire another utility driver to handle it. Now im really confused! Am I to understand correctly that this would mean that every time freight volume goes up that they will put on another utility driver???? I thought that this was a closed number by contract. Anybody have knowledge or facts on these issues?

OK.....I can see this is a real sticky issue.....thanks for all the coments and answers so far.
Did talk to a few stewards on this issue the other day and they have confirmed to me that a utility driver CANNOT be simply assigned without first having gone before a COO committee. You are right on here with the regional changes of the future I believe. But I still fail to see where a Utility driver is performing anything that even remotely resembles city work and our switcher and city board has just completed another bid without including the UE's .
I do know that these positions were protected for the balence of the contract year so this will leave the door of confusion open while these nasty little changes come into play without any regard for seniority again!!!!
Sorry....running on here but just feel threatened and overwhelmed amid all the corporate foreplay here.
Another interesting question here is.....With Yallow running a break operation and a velocity operation both at the Newburgh facility there is absolutely NO ROOM FOR any more utility doors!!!!LOL......At the moment all utility drivers I have spoken to on 123 runs are complaining as it is that the dock space they have to work with is already to small to handle the freight they are trying to move within it! "GO FIGURE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK.....I can see this is a real sticky issue.....thanks for all the coments and answers so far.
Did talk to a few stewards on this issue the other day and they have confirmed to me that a utility driver CANNOT be simply assigned without first having gone before a COO committee. You are right on here with the regional changes of the future I believe. But I still fail to see where a Utility driver is performing anything that even remotely resembles city work and our switcher and city board has just completed another bid without including the UE's .
I do know that these positions were protected for the balence of the contract year so this will leave the door of confusion open while these nasty little changes come into play without any regard for seniority again!!!!
Sorry....running on here but just feel threatened and overwhelmed amid all the corporate foreplay here.
Another interesting question here is.....With Yallow running a break operation and a velocity operation both at the Newburgh facility there is absolutely NO ROOM FOR any more utility doors!!!!LOL......At the moment all utility drivers I have spoken to on 123 runs are complaining as it is that the dock space they have to work with is already to small to handle the freight they are trying to move within it! "GO FIGURE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do not need to go before a COO committee to add on a utility driver.Subject to the approval of the National Utility Employee Review Committee, The management may establish and modify the utility position and bids without the approval of a COO or other Union approval! It`s in the contract.:smilie_132:

You do not need to go before a COO committee to add on a utility driver.Subject to the approval of the National Utility Employee Review Committee, The management may establish and modify the utility position and bids without the approval of a COO or other Union approval! It`s in the contract.:smilie_132:

Thanks Remo......
"Subject to the approval of the National Utility Employee Review Committee, The management may establish and modify the utility position and bids without the approval of a COO or other Union approval! "
Who exactly are the selected people within this committee and wich side of the fence are they on??....anybody know???

Scary isnt it Long blade!
I have seen how this all works just recently after they finished placing the road drivers in New England and then continued to increase the numbers up there over the entire next year without any regard to transfer options so seniority could follow their freight.

its all about getting rid of full time and trying to work it all with lesser priced casuals

its all about getting rid of full time and trying to work it all with lesser priced casuals

Oh yeah!!!!!
Dont we know it.
Sooner or later they will learn....There is no substitute for experience!!! & What goes around....comes around.
Doesnt leave much to be said for all the safety issues either that they hang on for publicity!