Central Transport | vitran needs OSHA INSPECTIONS

vijax

TB Lurker
Credits
how is safety at your terminal? at mine, many employees have been hurt and seriously injured in the last two years. some are made to come back before they are completely recovered and put on the worst run the terminal has. vitran corp. tells the terminal managers to do whatever it takes to make the employee quit. has this happened at your terminal to you or anyone else? this company spits in the eye of safety.they would rather pay a fine than make the place safe. if your terminal is unsafe,contact OHSA to get it resolved before someone gets killed. your name is kepted confidental . just ask for an unannounced inspection early in the morning when the terminal is the busiest. go to OSHA.GOV to get the phone # or file a complaint on their website. maybe vitran will take notice when they get their asses fined at enough terminals, since money is all they care about.

Being hurt hurts

Going through that right now. Steady P&D route, but lots of street unloads and the worst jacks they can find causing me to break down by hand and tailgate.

they make our hurt guys do inside deliveries and break down skids in food warehouses hoping they get tired and quit

Well, if it is in my established route, i take it is the way it is, i have never been one to push my work off on someone else, but when time after time you tell them that certain shippers are not using jack moveable pallets and expect us to deliver on street without fork lifts, well, after 5 times in 5 weeks and your still ignored and it adds 20 or 30 minutes of labor to that stop for fingerprinting, it does cause you to wonder if it is forgetfull or on purpose just to agravate the driver

Speaking of safety, i still cannot figure out how are trucks can cross a scale without being inspected. The numbers are terrible, and more are in the safety area than logbooks ect.

The scales must be pulling some of our trucks in for inspection. Our CSA score is 86. We have the highest of any company our size. A score of 75 and above is a red flag.

And that number is suppose to trigger automatic inspections, but with over 2k trucks, you would think we would be getting 100 to 200 a day, instead it is only a few a month, but those few have big iolations

Here is a copy paste of the last posted one. Is there one done more recently?

Review Information
Rating Date: 06/30/2010 Review Date: 06/28/2010
Rating: Satisfactory Type: Compliance Review

I'm sure Vitran doesn't want to advertise what all of us already know. Our 1999 Freightliners are real jewels. So are our million mile Macks, rusted out Internationals..........

Sad to say some of the older trucks run better than the newer ones, not just faster, but handle better, 5th wheels stay adjusted, engines don't stumble with computer problems (every newer one i drove has the check engine light on and doesn't run right, coughing, abs failures, scuffed air lines)

If you have a truck that has been written up and not fixed you can refuse it. I know they will tell you to take it anyway, then just pull into a scale and request an inspection. The scale house people love it when you do that, there numbers go up and they get an atta boy for it.

Truck issues

But, in the old days you could do that, with the new CSA rules and putting FMCSA Violations on your CDL for 10 years, can they still just write the company and not the driver?

Sad to say some of the older trucks run better than the newer ones, not just faster, but handle better, 5th wheels stay adjusted, engines don't stumble with computer problems (every newer one i drove has the check engine light on and doesn't run right, coughing, abs failures, scuffed air lines)
We joke that at Vitran, the check engine light lets you know the engine is running..