Central Transport | Vitran wants senior drivers gone

vijax

TB Lurker
Credits
if you are making more than the starting wage at your terminal,vitran wants you to quit or they will start writing drivers up to fire you. they are trying to get drivers to sign write ups so they can contest your unemployment. DONT SIGN ANYTHING IF THEY WRITE YOU UP. we have had 3 drivers written up the last 3 weeks and 2 of them fired ,or how vitran put it,indefinate suspension. both filed for unemployment and vitran is contesting it. we had a 9 year guy let go today for a jacked up reason. he had never been written up before.so be warned,this is no b.s.

thanks for a heads up vijax. look at all aspects of this place and ask yourself if you really think this place will pull itself out of the abyss.

if you are making more than the starting wage at your terminal,vitran wants you to quit or they will start writing drivers up to fire you. they are trying to get drivers to sign write ups so they can contest your unemployment. DONT SIGN ANYTHING IF THEY WRITE YOU UP. we have had 3 drivers written up the last 3 weeks and 2 of them fired ,or how vitran put it,indefinate suspension. both filed for unemployment and vitran is contesting it. we had a 9 year guy let go today for a jacked up reason. he had never been written up before.so be warned,this is no b.s.

You are absolutely correct, they want senior drivers gone so they can save a few bucks on hourly spend. The idiots don't get that it takes two newby's to do what one senior driver does plus it is damn near impossible to find drivers anymore.

How much longer are you guys willing to put up with this treatment?? You all need Union representation. It's the only way to stop this type of treatment and harassment.

How much longer are you guys willing to put up with this treatment?? You all need Union representation. It's the only way to stop this type of treatment and harassment.

They tried when I worked there-will never happen-60% of the people who work there are to dumb to sign, 30% are old school loyalists and the other 10% are just happy to have a job

They tried when I worked there-will never happen-60% of the people who work there are to dumb to sign, 30% are old school loyalists and the other 10% are just happy to have a job

You are so right, the majority are too stupid to sign. They would rather pay $250 a month for s**ty health insurance for single person, versus $55 a month union dues for health insurance and a better wage.

well, i am not surprised, i am a less than 5 year p&d and some senior make 70k, and a few linehaul make over 85k a year, i got 41 last year. fact is, they do nothing special, they were grandfathered in with buy outs.

Having worked for Consolidated Freightways for years you could not find anyone more pro union than me. Sadly however it would never fly here. I do wonder one thing however, If the workers tried to organize and started getting close would Vitran fight just as hard as Overnite did to keep the union out? Would Vitran just close up shop and walk away from the millions they have invested? Does anyone of you remember the HBO special in which Holland tried to help the Overnite workers....Whatever happened to Brotherhood? Funny after all those millions spent on lawyers Overnite went union after the UPS buyout. Vitran failed twice in Texas to get enough cards signed but I don't think they are to stupid to sign I think they are too scared ( some would call it the same) Personally I think it would just speed up the process of the inevitable of this company going out of business. It would be a futile task and a waste of time to try and organize here. Just let this sleeping dog died in peace because sooner or later the note will be called. Just enjoy the ride because this company can never recover from the years of neglect. It's just to little too late. When you try to balance your budget on the back of the workforce while the big boys make millions you are doomed to certain failure...Something this company has never learned and never will. You reap what you sow. Personally I don't care anymore because I will ride this old dog until she is no more. Then I will go to work for a real trucking company. This job is just to easy to walk away willingly. Ride it out boys and don't let them run you off. Now that would be stupid. Cover your azz and ride it till the last breath.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having worked for Consolidated Freightways for years you could not find anyone more pro union than me. Sadly however it would never fly here. I do wonder one thing however, If the workers tried to organize and started getting close would Vitran fight just as hard as Overnite did to keep the union out? Would Vitran just close up shop and walk away from the millions they have invested? Does anyone of you remember the HBO special in which Holland tried to help the Overnite workers....Whatever happened to Brotherhood? Funny after all those millions spent on lawyers Overnite went union after the UPS buyout. Vitran failed twice in Texas to get enough cards signed but I don't think they are to stupid to sign I think they are too scared ( some would call it the same) Personally I think it would just speed up the process of the inevitable of this company going out of business. It would be a futile task and a waste of time to try and organize here. Just let this sleeping dog died in peace because sooner or later the note will be called. Just enjoy the ride because this company can never recover from the years of neglect. It's just to little too late. When you try to balance your budget on the back of the workforce while the big boys make millions you are doomed to certain failure...Something this company has never learned and never will. You reap what you sow. Personally I don't care anymore because I will ride this old dog until she is no more. Then I will go to work for a real trucking company. This job is just to easy to walk away willingly. Ride it out boys and don't let them run you off. Now that would be stupid. Cover your azz and ride it till the last breath.

Vitran is an nobody in the state of Texas, SEFL does more outbound bill count in that one terminal than we do in DAL/HOU and SAA combined. SEFL does 2500 bills per day outbound in DAL, what do we do, maybe 300? Any barn that tries to go union will be shut down quickly.

Overnite was allowed to go union because UPS already was union and UPS is sitting on billions of dollars of cash reserves. At least up north, Vitran does have some bill count though it continues to drop at an alarming rate. SEFL does half our entire bill count in just the Atlanta market area. We will never survive with this lack of density and cheap rates.

All that is very true and thats why I remain debt free because the future is uncertain and who knows when it will all be over.

Don't get the new car fever...Its easy to catch...Stay debt free as much as possible things are to uncertain now.

it is just sad that we have to go threw this bs to support our familys. we have covered almost everything on this site and still nothing changes. i have never seen anything like this in all my years of driving to this extent. they can't do anything without screwing everything up. we don't fix a problem we make the simple complicated and then look to blame the work force. the choice to put these policy's in play comes from the top not the bottom. and yet it is like a spoiled child who can't stand the word no. and has a melt down everybody is to blame but themselves.it is like trying to find a needle in a stack of needles and it goes past or beyond common sence.when you offer a common sence solution to a problem it comes up to the same look a deer has just before impact. some of us have the right ideas but when your battling egos and past achivements of others who are still basking in the glory of the past you are not going to make any head way,. what you did with fedex and what is going on here is not the same. you don't go to the big leagues with a wiffle ball bat . you don't send or set people up to fail and expect the glory of the past .so don't cry when you don't make it. look what you took to the game. if you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch.and i hope not but most of us might be spending some time on our porches until we find another dog to run this race with.it is sad that we have some damn good drivers no people that have been made to go threw so much for and with so little just to make a living. for those who really don't see the writing on the wall.

vitran is like a dog running around the campfire looking for a hush puppy thrown from one of the big boys, then they tell us to go away.

I personally don't think they are going after the senior drivers, they are going after who ever is fu***** off. They are watching us with those tabs and they are not saying anything about it, but they are taking notes. They know who the slackers are and they are weeding them out...If you handle your business and do your job you have nothing to fear. Many senior drivers do fu** off... My advice to them is handle your business and do your job. They have fired two senior drivers in Dallas in the last few months and two more just quit. Cover your azz and use those tablets correctly in reference to bring backs. Thats the #1 write up in Dallas. If you want to take a break be smart about it....Do it at your customers dock...Don't move because they know....Read between the lines fellows.