Central Transport | Vitran wants senior drivers gone

Hey guys my point is they are watching us....Everyone does their job at a different pace. Some are fast some are slow....Some guys are just more productive than others. It's in their DNA.....All I'm saying is do your job correctly with no mistakes, if it takes you longer than the next guy....Who cares? Also don't sign anything without a witness in your corner....Don't be ganged up on with a bunch of supervisors with a agenda....It's your right to have a witness...I talked to HR and they confirmed that. I have no reason to BS you guys.....You really don't even have to sign anything but in some cases it's best to sign and state under protest and write on the back of the sheet...They know when you get to a stop and they know when you leave...They know the route you took to get there. I'm not here to teach you how to beat this system. Most of you already know. Not that you should be doing that. Give them 100% but don't kill yourself in the process....Don't sacrifice safety because you are being pressured to hurry... Do your job safely and correctly at whatever pace you feel comfortable...And that will be all you need to do to cover your azz.

Hey guys my point is they are watching us....Everyone does their job at a different pace. Some are fast some are slow....Some guys are just more productive than others. It's in their DNA.....All I'm saying is do your job correctly with no mistakes, if it takes you longer than the next guy....Who cares? Also don't sign anything without a witness in your corner....Don't be ganged up on with a bunch of supervisors with a agenda....It's your right to have a witness...I talked to HR and they confirmed that. I have no reason to BS you guys.....You really don't even have to sign anything but in some cases it's best to sign and state under protest and write on the back of the sheet...They know when you get to a stop and they know when you leave...They know the route you took to get there. I'm not here to teach you how to beat this system. Most of you already know. Not that you should be doing that. Give them 100% but don't kill yourself in the process....Don't sacrifice safety because you are being pressured to hurry... Do your job safely and correctly at whatever pace you feel comfortable...And that will be all you need to do to cover your azz.

Train...I hear what you're saying. I agree with most everything you say. I'm just so tired of people claiming they are busting their azz, when I see people f***ing off all day and brag about it, just to get more hours. Then get on another post and talk about how we might all want to jump ship because we aren't going to make it. Maybe we aren't going to make it because too many people are f***ing off?? I don't see why everyone is blaming management for everything. There are bad managers and there are bad drivers. Just like in life, there are bad people and good people. The bottom line is, the place has been in shambles for a long time and it seems like that's why they hired all these new people. I haven't been here long, but all I hear from the drivers that have - is how they want to leave. I get so sick of it. If you don't want to help, leave. That's all I'm saying....nothing personal outwheeler..I'm just keeping it real

I see new guys hired without doubles endorsement. They can't read a map,so when their phone GPS loses a signal they are lost calling every senior driver they just meet the night before. Linehaul or supervisors are always asking me if I seen them along the way. I always have to wait 2 to 3 hours past my time for a new guy who only has 180 miles to drive. Vitran loves them I love them too. Where would this company be without the new hires?

Train...I hear what you're saying. I agree with most everything you say. I'm just so tired of people claiming they are busting their azz, when I see people f***ing off all day and brag about it, just to get more hours. Then get on another post and talk about how we might all want to jump ship because we aren't going to make it. Maybe we aren't going to make it because too many people are f***ing off?? I don't see why everyone is blaming management for everything. There are bad managers and there are bad drivers. Just like in life, there are bad people and good people. The bottom line is, the place has been in shambles for a long time and it seems like that's why they hired all these new people. I haven't been here long, but all I hear from the drivers that have - is how they want to leave. I get so sick of it. If you don't want to help, leave. That's all I'm saying....nothing personal outwheeler..I'm just keeping it real
Read what I'm saying Vbird....They won't be bragging much longer...Those days are coming to an end in this upcoming year...Those tablets will stop the blatant abuse of fu***** off....Those that want to continue to slack will be caught. They will be terminated.....Thats the one thing that I didn't like about unions, they protected the ones that fu**** off...The ones that didn't pull their weight. We the ones that always went the extra mile had to pull their weight. I never liked that. Once you are targeted as the ones that are fuc**** off they will trump up a charge and you will be gone....If a company wants to get you bad enough they will find a reason...As long as its not racial or some form of age discrimination you are history. I do my job so I don't worry about getting fired. And all the incompetent drivers will be eliminated in time as they find their replacements...Good drivers are hard to find...It just takes time...We dont pay the best but there are still good drivers that would be glad to come here....Believe it or not...Times are hard and jobs are not that easy to come by in this economy...Many pay alot less and some will just be grateful to be given a opportunity to get out of the unemployment line

Last edited by a moderator:
before they start terminating drivers, they better start paying what other ltls pay because nobody is applying here. on average they're $1.50 - $2.00 less than other ltls around the same area. and i'm leaving out the insurance and 401k differences.

Absolutely every single failure and success is the responsibility of management. From Rick Gaetz to the dock supervisor. Each one of them is given a measure of power and responsibility. If the workers are messing around and not doing their job it is the responsibility of management to know it immediately and either reform the driver or fire the driver, dock worker, mechanic etc.

Let us take it a step further even...

In some companies when an employee is fired their is retracing of steps as to how a bad egg even got hired to begin with-to find out how it was they did not know that prospect was a risk. Believe it or not some companies hold the hiring managers accountable for the performance of the people they decide to hire.

Now, I agree Vitran has more than it's share of slugs working for it, but those slugs are not to blame for being here.

Somewhere along the way things went south and those with the power to fix it either did not try to or tried the wrong fix. I view business like forensics-perhaps I am eccentric, but just think...it may be that we can trace all this we see today back to one single decision that started a chain reaction that has never stopped reacting-like a wild fire still burning.

I am not well enough educated to retrace all that, but hopefully our new and old management are able to reign it in.

With these tablets they now have a chance to weed out the slugs....And in the future hopefully management will be held accountable for bad hiring decisions...Things did go south along the way....Thats why this company has to be rebuilt from the ground up.... It will take time but I believe it can be done....Many don't and thats their right to express their opinion....But as GT says don't rain on my parade....Sometimes when you change the way you look at things the things you look at change....

I should clarify that all success or failure also lays with the worker. I came off too rigid I believe. However, the fixing is the responsibility of management.
Absolutely every single failure and success is the responsibility of management. From Rick Gaetz to the dock supervisor. Each one of them is given a measure of power and responsibility. If the workers are messing around and not doing their job it is the responsibility of management to know it immediately and either reform the driver or fire the driver, dock worker, mechanic etc.

Let us take it a step further even...

In some companies when an employee is fired their is retracing of steps as to how a bad egg even got hired to begin with-to find out how it was they did not know that prospect was a risk. Believe it or not some companies hold the hiring managers accountable for the performance of the people they decide to hire.

Now, I agree Vitran has more than it's share of slugs working for it, but those slugs are not to blame for being here.

Somewhere along the way things went south and those with the power to fix it either did not try to or tried the wrong fix. I view business like forensics-perhaps I am eccentric, but just think...it may be that we can trace all this we see today back to one single decision that started a chain reaction that has never stopped reacting-like a wild fire still burning.

I am not well enough educated to retrace all that, but hopefully our new and old management are able to reign it in.

Ah it's the same old no matter what the name is on the door or terminal your at. Do your job the way they want it done, communicate if your held up. I understand the company wants a "clone type" mentality. They don't want you to question anything just do your job they way your instructed to do it clock to clock. I've changed the way I work, keep in mind i'm on Line so it's different. I wish that in the 7 years I've been here I hadn't allowed myself to have personal realations at work. My life at work would be easier. I wish I had never ever found out how much money the Central division made because, I do make a decent living. I do realize that other companies pay better but, they have layoffs and I have a job. I'm just going to sit back and ride the roller coaster until the ride stops. I really don't want to start over again at the bottom of the board wondering if come Fall will i have a job. I'm going to sit here do my pre-trip inspection, refuse to drive or pull out of service junk, do my paperwork and go home.

With the advent of social media we as a society have gotten so wrapped up in crap that really has no bearing on our lives. I myself am not exempt from this. Even though it has connected as a world or company are we any better? This is a job not a soap opera or reality tv show.

same here B.R. i punch in and do my job and only my job, then i punch out and go home. i'm not cleaning their restrooms or asking customers for more freight, we have custodians and salespeople to do that. once i see office personnel or my t.m. empty trash then i'll consider. lol.